Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 12-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Camera/Race Renderer

So in preparation for doing some track days next year with my car I've started playing around with some camera angles. Wondering if anyone who has used race renderer on the track before has any suggestions of things that worked or did not work for them.

At the moment I plan on running race renderer(with OBDII), DJI camera(4k 60fps), and I have a microphone clamped on the back license plate. I went out for a test drive today but the gain and some cut-off frequencies on the microphone still have to be dialed in. I also plan on adding a second camera for the pedals.

Just mainly looking for ideas and suggestions from people who have captured video on the track before.

Here is a short clip I made, some of the things I'm working on are getting audio levels correct and a good contrast for the camera. Not sure if I should run auto contrast or set it up manually. I had to bring the audio levels down to 5%, it was so damn loud.

Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #2
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
The focus seems to be near-field and not on the road. It could be the strobing effect from the trees. Here's my GoPRO Hero 7 and PDR video for comparison.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I think it depends what you want to see. It's hard to get it all. If you want to see your hands, that's not a bad angel. If you want to see the track, mounting on the windshield is better.

I've also used helmet mount with various success.

5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I like the hood angle and the angle catching the cockpit, not a huge fan of the helmet cam because of all the movement. @badmojo I think you're right about the focus, I need to set the "focus point" on my DJI osmo to the road. Great videos btw, thanks for sharing. Anything else you learned for your 1SS for trackdays @5.monster? Besides the dot4 brake fluid, diff fluid change, and track alignment?
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
I like the hood angle and the angle catching the cockpit, not a huge fan of the helmet cam because of all the movement. @badmojo I think you're right about the focus, I need to set the "focus point" on my DJI osmo to the road. Great videos btw, thanks for sharing. Anything else you learned for your 1SS for trackdays @5.monster? Besides the dot4 brake fluid, diff fluid change, and track alignment?
Your setup is very similar to mine, I like to see the driver and the track. Be sure to use the narrowest FOV because it will give the greatest sensation of speed. When you go with a wide FOV it makes the car feel slower in videos. Also, you can add an obd code reader and record your telemetry and GPS data to your pbone and then you can add telemetry overlays to your videos.

As for car setup, definetely do a track alignment, it won't ruin the street ability of the car at all. Definetely dot 4 fluid (SRF is bla bit better than motul, etc). Air down the tires depending on ambient Temps, usually around 26-28psi cold. I change all my fluids in the Spring and then I'm good for the track season.

Here's my last video

https://youtu.be/rav57Udi0TU
Kmeleon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I liked my GoPro on my helmet, mounted on the right side. it gave the best sensation of speed and g forces. It was a very good POV as it showed even minor head movements, like looking at my mirrors. Not sure what FOV I was running but it looked good. I think getting the height right helps mimic the proper POV.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #7
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Some great advice here.

One thing I'll add is that I run with stabilization off. The jarring and vibration adds to the sensation of speed!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:21 PM   #8
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Alternatively, I like the outside over the shoulder view. I would only recommend it with a lens protector. I've had two take hits and crack, but saved the camera. Skip to the 1:00 minute mark. The time tag didn't work with my link.

FYI, the audio is from the PDR video. The audio from an external mount is garbage due to the wind noise.

Last edited by Badmojo; 12-27-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:46 PM   #9
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Hey Christian, not sure I understood the question. Do you mean in terms of car prep? I have DTC60 pads, SRF fluid and track alignment. I'm still on original rubber and factory diff fluid as well. Car has 9k miles so far and 3 track days.

If you're asking about what I learned coming from a BMW to Camaro, I would say that using PTM modes and adjusting your driving style to let PTM launch you out of corners is a THE biggest thing to extract great lap times (in addition to carrying as much speed through the corners, and picking the right line. But those are universal and not car specific). Also no-lift-shift. Great feature, but I found it super hard to rewire the right foot and prevent it from lifting. So engrained in my brain, it's been a real struggle.

Outside of that, I think this car is a near-perfect track weapon. Happy New Year and I wish you safe and fun track days in 2022!

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 12-27-2021 at 11:14 PM.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote