Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Will the LT5 fit under the Stock ZL1 Hood?

Curious if there are some mules right in front of our eyes..
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say it'll fit under the hood, but not the strut tower brace which is admittedly thick but could be made thinner/lighter/better out of carbon fiber.
In short, you could be right
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Doin It For Dale

Drives: Bald Eagle,
I don't believe that the LT5 will fit under the ZL1 hood, but top hats can certainly be redesigned.

GM was conducting "future powertrain testing" back in the summer at Laguna Seca, and there were multiple Camaros on track. The person from CorvetteForum that was there did not say what kind of Camaros, nor what they sounded like, likely out of respect for the engineers. However, they're 100% working on a new Camaro model of some sort. It could've been the hybrid powertrains, DOHC V8s, or the new tripower 2.7L engine undergoing testing, but it could've also been the LT5. The ZR1 will be built for the 2020 model year, according to tons of dealers and insiders, as well as information that was dug up, on Corvette forums. GM wants to produce C8s and C7s on the same line, but even if that doesn't happen, the ZR1 won't be affected as it is hand-assembled(low production makes had-building cheaper than making new equipment to assemble them). I think that the use of the LT5 in a Camaro will hurt the appeal and sales of the ZR1, and that the LT5 won't be used in a Camaro while the C7 ZR1 is on the market. Yet at that point, the DOHC V8s will be production-ready and there 6th gen Camaro's years will be numbered...

I would love to see an LT5-powered Camaro to fight the new GT500, wherever that silly snake is right now. Ford can't beat 755hp AND the alpha platform for the same money.
Doin It For Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
IIRC the ZR1 never shared it's engine (at least I know the last ZR1 did not). So, the LT5 may remain ZR1 exlcusive. Especially since it is still being sold by Chevy now and for at least 2020. So, there is a solid argument that the LT5 won't make its way into a Camaro.

BUT, the other argument is that GM seems to have indicated that they won't protect Corvette anymore (or perhaps as much as in the past). Also, Al was quoted as saying that the ZL1 was not necessarily the end of the 6th Gen Camaro, and they will look at any available HP. There was also a mule spotted that had carbon ceramic brakes, which is not currently an option on the Camaro (so what mule was that?).

I would love to see an LT5 Camaro. I would also love to see a Gen6 Camaro with the N/A version of the 5.5 DOHC engine that is rumored to be in development for the ME 'vette. That would make a nice Z/28.

There are also rumors of a reworked LT1 (approx. 500HP) as being the base engine for the ME 'vette debut. Not sure if that would be enough for a Z/28, since the Gen5 Z/28 already had 505 HP. But if it were say , 535 HP, that may be enough for a Gen 6 Z/28.

So, there are a bunch of options out there, it's just a matter of timing. I don't think the new 'vette is far enough along to start borrowing that stuff down into the Camaro. While they may not "protect" the Corvette in terms of HP, they definately still want to let the new stuff debut in the 'vette for a while before it goes into a Camaro.

My guess is that IF there will be a Gen 6 Z/28 (or whatever you/they want to call it), it will be a 2021 MY with an LT5. That's the only engine that is being sold right now. The others I mentioned are not even in the 'vette yet.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
Doin It For Dale

Drives: Bald Eagle,
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
IIRC the ZR1 never shared it's engine (at least I know the last ZR1 did not). So, the LT5 may remain ZR1 exlcusive. Especially since it is still being sold by Chevy now and for at least 2020. So, there is a solid argument that the LT5 won't make its way into a Camaro.

BUT, the other argument is that GM seems to have indicated that they won't protect Corvette anymore (or perhaps as much as in the past). Also, Al was quoted as saying that the ZL1 was not necessarily the end of the 6th Gen Camaro, and they will look at any available HP. There was also a mule spotted that had carbon ceramic brakes, which is not currently an option on the Camaro (so what mule was that?).

I would love to see an LT5 Camaro. I would also love to see a Gen6 Camaro with the N/A version of the 5.5 DOHC engine that is rumored to be in development for the ME 'vette. That would make a nice Z/28.

There are also rumors of a reworked LT1 (approx. 500HP) as being the base engine for the ME 'vette debut. Not sure if that would be enough for a Z/28, since the Gen5 Z/28 already had 505 HP. But if it were say , 535 HP, that may be enough for a Gen 6 Z/28.

So, there are a bunch of options out there, it's just a matter of timing. I don't think the new 'vette is far enough along to start borrowing that stuff down into the Camaro. While they may not "protect" the Corvette in terms of HP, they definately still want to let the new stuff debut in the 'vette for a while before it goes into a Camaro.

My guess is that IF there will be a Gen 6 Z/28 (or whatever you/they want to call it), it will be a 2021 MY with an LT5. That's the only engine that is being sold right now. The others I mentioned are not even in the 'vette yet.
The updated LT1 is not going to make more power than the LS7, from what I've been told on the vette forums; but it may match it. If the Z/28 happens as a 2021 model year car, it would likely be in the final year of the 6th gen. Not only that, but the twin-turbo DOHC V8's for the Corvette will be ready by then. I wonder if it's possible for Al and the team to get a 7th gen Z/28 ready to go for the 1st model year of the 7th generation. THAT is how you beat the S650 GT500/350. Then release the 1LE's the next year and the ZL1 a year later. Two years later, refresh the cars and improve the Z/28.

Timing is everything in today's market, so introducing the Z/28 at the wrong time could yield a lack of sales for a second generation in a row...

Doin It For Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doin It For Dale View Post
The updated LT1 is not going to make more power than the LS7, from what I've been told on the vette forums; but it may match it. If the Z/28 happens as a 2021 model year car, it would likely be in the final year of the 6th gen. Not only that, but the twin-turbo DOHC V8's for the Corvette will be ready by then. I wonder if it's possible for Al and the team to get a 7th gen Z/28 ready to go for the 1st model year of the 7th generation. THAT is how you beat the S650 GT500/350. Then release the 1LE's the next year and the ZL1 a year later. Two years later, refresh the cars and improve the Z/28.

Timing is everything in today's market, so introducing the Z/28 at the wrong time could yield a lack of sales for a second generation in a row...

I don't see the Camaro and ME 'vette getting a new engine in the same model year. It could happen, but I doubt it. I think if a Z/28 happens anytime soon, it will be an LT5 powered 2021 model year. The only way I see a 5.5L TT DOHC Z/28 is in a 2022 model year. Either way, it will be awesome.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doin It For Dale View Post

I agree with you for the most part but since the 6th Gen will continue through MY 2021 (confirmed by documents) I think it would make perfect sense to release a Z/28 as MY2021 to finish the life cycle of the 6th Gens. Also releasing the Z/28 in the first model year of the 7th Gen would be a horrible idea, I definitely agree that timing is very important when it comes to releasing different versions of cars, but that plays against your argument, car companies wait to release the higher models until later in the life cycle of their cars for a reason.

And to the point of the Mid-Engine Vette there is a good chance that the cars (well at least on of them) that were videoed ripping around the Ring last wing were equipped with the 5.5L TT V8. So even if that engine isn't available immediately upon release for MY2020 it may show up before then end of it, and will definitely be there for MY2021, so who's to say a 2021 Z/28 can't get an N/A version of that? Or if we are being really bold and Chevy has decided they aren't going to stick with N/A for the Z/28 instead of the LT5 they could just put the TT V8 in it.....
Old 09-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I agree with you for the most part but since the 6th Gen will continue through MY 2021 (confirmed by documents) I think it would make perfect sense to release a Z/28 as MY2021 to finish the life cycle of the 6th Gens. Also releasing the Z/28 in the first model year of the 7th Gen would be a horrible idea, I definitely agree that timing is very important when it comes to releasing different versions of cars, but that plays against your argument, car companies wait to release the higher models until later in the life cycle of their cars for a reason.

And to the point of the Mid-Engine Vette there is a good chance that the cars (well at least on of them) that were videoed ripping around the Ring last wing were equipped with the 5.5L TT V8. So even if that engine isn't available immediately upon release for MY2020 it may show up before then end of it, and will definitely be there for MY2021, so who's to say a 2021 Z/28 can't get an N/A version of that? Or if we are being really bold and Chevy has decided they aren't going to stick with N/A for the Z/28 instead of the LT5 they could just put the TT V8 in it.....
The only way a 6th gen sees the DOHC TT V8 is the Caddy Hot-V version. The only low mount TT CAD drawings are for the mid-engine layout with exhaust directly behind the engine. I still highly doubt any 6th gen gets the new DOHC V8 as the engine bay was designed around the LT platform.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
The only way a 6th gen sees the DOHC TT V8 is the Caddy Hot-V version. The only low mount TT CAD drawings are for the mid-engine layout with exhaust directly behind the engine. I still highly doubt any 6th gen gets the new DOHC V8 as the engine bay was designed around the LT platform.
Excellent point. Rumors are there will be an N/A version of the 5.5L engine that will put out 600+ HP, and be FPC with a 9,000RPM redline. The smaller 5.5L engine may be able to fit without the turbos, and an N/A engine is preferred in a track car. Seems to be possible, but we don't really know the dimentions of the new engine family so...

But, I still think the timing is wrong for any of the new 5.5's will make it to a 6th Gen Z/28.

So, my personal guess is that IF there will be a Gen 6 Z/28 it will be an LT5, or a detuned LT5 that goes into it.

I wonder which of these two options potential Z/28 buyers would prefer - a 750ish HP S/C LT5, or a 600+ HP N/A 9,000RPM screamer?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
NW-99SS

Quote:
Excellent point. Rumors are there will be an N/A version of the 5.5L engine that will put out 600+ HP, and be FPC with a 9,000RPM redline. The smaller 5.5L engine may be able to fit without the turbos, and an N/A engine is preferred in a track car. Seems to be possible, but we don't really know the dimentions of the new engine family so...

But, I still think the timing is wrong for any of the new 5.5's will make it to a 6th Gen Z/28.

So, my personal guess is that IF there will be a Gen 6 Z/28 it will be an LT5, or a detuned LT5 that goes into it.

I wonder which of these two options potential Z/28 buyers would prefer - a 750ish HP S/C LT5, or a 600+ HP N/A 9,000RPM screamer?
Agreed.

It may be a detuned LT5, but the LT4 crossover from Z06 to ZL1 with identical power (and much better cooling in the Camaro) makes me think the Camaro team has access to the LT5 in full - and if not, will carry a different RPO.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 09-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #11
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:

There won’t be simultaneous production of the C8 and C7. The C7 is done, maybe they have a lot of C7 parts available to continue to produce them for 2019 but after that, it’s over. The C8 that has been seen testing is not a Zora or ZR halo car, its a base model with base corvette aero and base corvette tires.

While GM is actively working on the next gen Camaro, there will absolutely be one last Gen 6 Camaro with (most likely) an LT5. Especially due to the release of the Gt500. And even more so due to the C8 not having a manual transmission. The Camaro is going to be the Chevy FE king with a MT as the C8 is DCT.

My guess is the LT5 Camaro hood will be something spectacular to top the already beautiful ZL1 hood.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
NW-99SS

With no official press release on the C8 - production model is at best 2 years out - making it a 2021 at the earliest, but my guess is a 2022. C7 will be produced until then, but not longer as suggested.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 09-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Timing is everything so GM better correctly time the economic forecast for the next few years. A healthy economy sells cars and a weak economy does not. I see one hell of alot of Imports on our roads as compared to Domestically produced American owned companies.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #14
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Timing is everything so GM better correctly time the economic forecast for the next few years. A healthy economy sells cars and a weak economy does not. I see one hell of alot of Imports on our roads as compared to Domestically produced American owned companies.
Recent policy changes to auto tariffs will influence this over time.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2