Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
Novice

Drives: 2016 2SS Nightfall Gray
2016 2SS post car wash smell

I bought my 2016 this past fall and it flat stinks like something dead/rotting every time I wash it. I have gone as far as removing & cleaning the fabric underbody panels, taking apart the inner fenders & cleaning them and coating the radiators with bug squash and spraying them out with no luck. The only thing I’ve found that helps is putting a fan pointed at the lower grill and just being patient for a couple days. Anyone else ever had such a problem??
Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice View Post
I bought my 2016 this past fall and it flat stinks like something dead/rotting every time I wash it. I have gone as far as removing & cleaning the fabric underbody panels, taking apart the inner fenders & cleaning them and coating the radiators with bug squash and spraying them out with no luck. The only thing I’ve found that helps is putting a fan pointed at the lower grill and just being patient for a couple days. Anyone else ever had such a problem??
Sounds like you have a possible roadkill/dead body stuck somewhere in the chassis...
Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #3
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
You may need to change your cabin filter.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
I agree with HPrush... get that cabin air filter changed. It gets musty and funky. Certain mildew and fungi cause these types of odors to happen. You might wanna try a cabin air filter with activated charcoal. It helps keep those odors at bay.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #5
Novice

Drives: 2016 2SS Nightfall Gray
Thanks for the suggestions, but I should clarify. It is an exterior odor, not an interior odor.
Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #6
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
get under the car and check it out

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Almost sounds like you have an animal that crawled up in your car and died somewhere. Do you park outside for any length of time that would allow something to nest?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Even animal dead/rotting odors eventually goes away in a few months of washing i would have to believe . What are you using to wash your car ? Any degreasers or other engine bay cleaning ?
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Even animal dead/rotting odors eventually goes away in a few months of washing i would have to believe . What are you using to wash your car ? Any degreasers or other engine bay cleaning ?
That's for sure. We wash our trains with a nasty smelling crap that certainly have to be certified for use here in California. I'm no expert but my 2SS has those flat underbody panels that seems like resin coated fiberboard/fiberglass.

It's possible there is a funk up in there.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #10
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I should clarify. It is an exterior odor, not an interior odor.
Exactly why I tell my girlfriend to never fart in my car!
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #11
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Well, you could always just leave it outside for a bit. If it's organic you will just need to follow the insects.