Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #15
sonikk71

Drives: 2017 Summit White V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Berserker View Post
Comparison to stock springs - my impressions (can update once I get to the track and to an autox this summer):

1. Initial compression - afe slightly softer and more progressive than oem, but sets quickly upon loading/weight transfer (probly, my assumption, for to being a progressive spring vs a linear spring).
2. Weight transfer - much less body roll while shifting lateral load during transitions.
3. Haven't bottomed out, but be careful my splitter is now lower than many curbs.

4. Advice: alignment, alignment alignment!!! Having crap alignment after install to a nice amount of toe & camber + over 8° of caster up front the car feels spot on. Almost all of not all understand had been dialed out.

However! (Opinion) - due to the spring being progressive and not linear your initial input brake and steering feel a combination of softer and slightly numb in comparison to stock. I don't feel as though there is any loss in ultimate grip, but immediacy of turn in, brake, and chassis feedback is very slightly dulled. Up side - even with a slightly different (softer/numbness) input feel/feedback on initial steering input and spring loadup the transitions from side to side (do to less body roll) feel fantastic. (Feels like I can get more rotation from throttle input and more progressive loss of rear grip)

Overall the car feels a little softer street casual driving, but smoother when really pushing grip limits and takes a set extremely well along with instilling confidence in transitions. Car feels a little less communicative while taking a set, but buttery smooth when it does - less twitch and more glide while throwing its 3500lbs around

Alignment:
CAMBER / CASTER / TOE
front:. -2.3° 8.1° -.02in (out)
Rear: -1.3° n/a .03in (in)

The extra camber up front really helps with dialing out some of the perceived corner entry understeer.
Saw the pic of you car with its stance and was super excited as I cannot stand the 4x4 looks of mine. (same car/color) Then read the summation of the changes in the feel with the AFE springs and was immediately sad. I love the look but I am not ready to give up the sharpness of the stock suspension. I really want to give the YYZ/Powell Racing springs a try but I am not willing to spend the money if its going to turn out feeling how you describe the AFEs.

*hangs head and sighs*
sonikk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:11 AM   #16
Lt Berserker

Drives: V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikk71 View Post
Saw the pic of you car with its stance and was super excited as I cannot stand the 4x4 looks of mine. (same car/color) Then read the summation of the changes in the feel with the AFE springs and was immediately sad. I love the look but I am not ready to give up the sharpness of the stock suspension. I really want to give the YYZ/Powell Racing springs a try but I am not willing to spend the money if its going to turn out feeling how you describe the AFEs.

*hangs head and sighs*
Well... Car felt amazing at RA... No data, but she did a good job holding to the rear of a GT350 on old PSS tires, driver actually pitted (I followed thinking I missed a flag) to cool his tires lol.

So track, very impressed. Good alignment -2.3° fr, -1.3° rr camber and God the SS brakes are good on the V6! Will definitely be pushing brake zone next time out!!!

If your curious second video I actually started to finally learn the track and Carry some speed

https://youtu.be/uNIf1MYc_xc

https://youtu.be/0SmqjVBSG50
Lt Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #17
sonikk71

Drives: 2017 Summit White V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Berserker View Post
Well... Car felt amazing at RA... No data, but she did a good job holding to the rear of a GT350 on old PSS tires, driver actually pitted (I followed thinking I missed a flag) to cool his tires lol.

So track, very impressed. Good alignment -2.3° fr, -1.3° rr camber and God the SS brakes are good on the V6! Will definitely be pushing brake zone next time out!!!

If your curious second video I actually started to finally learn the track and Carry some speed

https://youtu.be/uNIf1MYc_xc

https://youtu.be/0SmqjVBSG50
Thanks for getting back to me! I appreciate the updated info.

Those videos look like fun. I havent tracked my car yet. How is street driving with the springs? Any difference?
sonikk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
Lt Berserker

Drives: V6 1LE
Initially just because of the progressive rates it felt slightly dulled and a touch soft when loading up weight laterally, though after tracking, and couple thousand street/freeway miles and a good alignment I don't notice a difference outside of a little less body roll. A good aggressive street alignment (enough to go out and track with) and some miles the car settles in very nicely. Just need to get a 285 square setup on the car lol.
Lt Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote