Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #253
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
Hey whitespeed and glamcem, is that harness safe to use? God forbid you get in any accident but wouldn't that harness setup damage you head or neck severely if any accidents were to occur?
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #254
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by red6.2 View Post
Hey whitespeed and glamcem, is that harness safe to use? God forbid you get in any accident but wouldn't that harness setup damage you head or neck severely if any accidents were to occur?

The Ralley 3 harness is DOT approved and has a FMVSS 209 label on it. So, the design principle is sound. However, I actually spoke with Schroth today and they said they do not recommend using any of their "Tuning" series (QuickFit/Rallye) harnesses in the Camaro. Not that they could give me a definitive reason why. I'm guessing they have not tested the Camaro seats to verify they can withstand the loading that could be imposed on them.

For a company that markets safety equipment, it's very disappointing and frustrating that they are not much more forthcoming about the very limited applications for their products. I've no doubt that this leads to a lot of people using their products with the perception that they are 'safe' when in fact they may not be. That the Rallye series should only be used in cars that have been tested should be made abundantly clear right in the descriptions of the products, and the list of cars that have been tested should be readily available. It's nowhere to be found, and they seemed to be largely clueless about that list when I asked them about it.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:43 AM   #255
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
Okay whitespeed I know what you are saying. I appreciate your response
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:06 PM   #256
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
The Ralley 3 harness is DOT approved and has a FMVSS 209 label on it. So, the design principle is sound. However, I actually spoke with Schroth today and they said they do not recommend using any of their "Tuning" series (QuickFit/Rallye) harnesses in the Camaro. Not that they could give me a definitive reason why. I'm guessing they have not tested the Camaro seats to verify they can withstand the loading that could be imposed on them.

For a company that markets safety equipment, it's very disappointing and frustrating that they are not much more forthcoming about the very limited applications for their products. I've no doubt that this leads to a lot of people using their products with the perception that they are 'safe' when in fact they may not be. That the Rallye series should only be used in cars that have been tested should be made abundantly clear right in the descriptions of the products, and the list of cars that have been tested should be readily available. It's nowhere to be found, and they seemed to be largely clueless about that list when I asked them about it.

Nigel
Use at your own risk!
I am not surprised that Schroth didn't recommend it, most likely for liability concerns. I have been using 3 point Schroth harnesses and they worked fine even when I went off the road and ended up blowing my curtain airbags once.

They also have Profi ASM harnesses that are compatible with our cars but not listed on their website (I believe BMW E90 type)
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #257
glamcem

I have a new 2019 Camaro SS 1LE in Riverside Blue Metallic

I am finally back to Camaro game after 2 years. Please see the first post for more information
Old 01-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #258
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I am finally back to Camaro game after 2 years. Please see the first post for more information
Yay! This makes me happy. Always good stuff from you!
YouTube Channel
FollowMyLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #259
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0DRN71 View Post
Yay! This makes me happy. Always good stuff from you!
glad to hear
Old 01-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #260
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Welcome back!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #261
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Welcome back!
Thanks
Old 02-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #262
glamcem

I have recently ordered and received the below parts :

-APEX SM-10 18X11” ET44 Rear - 18X10” ET25 Front wheels
-Toyo RR tires in 295/30/18 F and 315/30/18 R
-GM OEM TPMS Sensors
-Hotchkis Sway bar front
-BMR sway bar for rear (listened Ryephile's advice on sway bars)
-Raybestos ST47 and ST 45 pads (from a forum member)
-ZL1 addons lift pads
-ZL1addons front rock guard
-GM C7 Z06 fender flares
-GM Silverado lug nuts for spacers

I ordered some eBay TPMS sensors and even though it says OEM part, it was a counterfeit product so I reported. FYI, OEM sensors should look like this
Old 02-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #263
glamcem

With RR tires and Apex SM 10 wheels it looks like tons of rotational weight can be saved:

OEM 1LE wheels weigh 30.7 lbs (58.7 lbs on scale - 28 lb tire) and the rears weigh 29.5 lbs (60.5 scale - 31 lb tire)

Apex SM 10 wheels 21lbs (front and rear same weight)
Toyo RR tires 295/30/18 F and 315/30/18 R .. 26lbs and 29lbs respectively

So it looks like 11.7 lbs from front wheels/tires and 11.5lbs from the rear wheels/tires or total of 46lbs rotational mass!! That's huge..

In addition to that I will most likely save another 4lbs from the Girodisc front rotor rings when I need to replace the OEM rotor rings (DBA rotor rings are only 1.5 lbs lighter than stockers )
Old 02-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #264
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Not arguing on the weight savings, but, as I've mentioned many times before, I sure would like to see some MOI / Moment of Inertia testing of OEM vs. various aftermarket wheels like I saw on a busload of motorcycle wheels a few years ago. They even track tested after.

That said, I do like your wheel / tire combo. Looks good and should perform well, too!
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #265
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Not arguing on the weight savings, but, as I've mentioned many times before, I sure would like to see some MOI / Moment of Inertia testing of OEM vs. various aftermarket wheels like I saw on a busload of motorcycle wheels a few years ago. They even track tested after.

That said, I do like your wheel / tire combo. Looks good and should perform well, too!
Agreed a more scientific test would be great. From what I can tell (from my previous car), the difference between OEM wheel/tire and 19" wheel/ tire combo was pretty noticeable and it was only 5-6lbs of savings and of course shorter gears effect due to smaller overall diameter. It will be only better and more noticeable with additional 5-6 lbs and even shorter gearing with 18" setup.

I also need to add, by removing passenger,rear seats and lightweight battery hopefully it will be a total of 200lbs savings (52lbs of being rotational mass). I can't wait to attend a scheduled track event on March and see how it compares to previous car
Old 02-19-2020, 02:22 AM   #266
glamcem

I finally got the wheels and tires from the shop today, as the newer TPMS sensors don't come with the outer nut, we had to order it. They are all mounted and balanced and they don't really look that balloony look on sidewalls (for being 10mm wider and having more side profile when compared the OEM 20" tire/wheel combo). That being said combined with the extra grip, I wouldn't be surprised if they would add noticeable body roll ..so hopefully 30% stiffer front and rear sway bar may alleviate some of that bodyroll (or even better completely take care of that). I definitely much prefer the flat car feel. I remember the car's feel sucked when I switched to Trofeo Rs (because of the amount of added grip) with my previous 1LE so hopefully not this time again

Since I found some good price on the RRs, I went ahead and ordered another set of them as a spare set today. Hopefully I don't cord the fronts pretty quickly