Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-16-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
New Tire Considerations for ZL1

I ordered a new ZL1 (A10) last week, and looking forward to March!

Two years ago, I purchased a new 1LE .It didn’t take long to find the Goodyear’s that came on the car were not at all acceptable in the rain on my daily commute to work.They were good for what they were intended to be used for, a summer tire for performance in dry weather.

My new ZL1 will be here in late March (hopefully) and I’m again faced with having a summer tire in which the Tire Rack description reads something to the effect of the tire sacrificing hydroplane performance with track performance. I get that, some attributes in a tire are mutually exclusive.
That being said, I’m sure I’ll be looking for an All Season Tire as both my wife and I will be driving the new ZL1 in rural Texas where significant water on the road is frequent.

On the 1LE I installed a set of Michelin Sport Pilots and loved them both on and off the track. The closest similar tire I’ve been able to find for the ZL1 is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. It’s listed as an Ultra High Performance All-Season tire. Complicating matters is the tire is only produced in the 285/30ZR20 99y xl front size, but not the 305 size which is for our rear tires.

I like the idea of an All Season tire vs. Summer High Performance tire. Don’t like the idea of squaring up the ZL1 with 285’s all around, but that may be the choice I have to make between performance and wet weather safety. Also, the 285’s on the rear would be .47” less in diameter and I’m wondering if that would present any problems with the traction control system. I’m ok with the rears being .79” narrower than originals. My experience was that the Michelin’s on the 1LE got great dry weather traction compared to the Goodyear’s anyways.

Any suggestions or insight you may have would be much appreciated!

Last edited by thompstl1; 12-16-2016 at 06:40 AM. Reason: grammar
thompstl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Lashu74
Lashu74

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I am trying to do the same thing but would like to utilize a set of 285 35 20 on the front which were off my 1le (michelin pilot sport) I think Im going to purchase Bf goodrich g force comps 305 35 20. I am considering placing them on the MRR M017's. There is a little bit of discussion on some of the other things you inquired bout here:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477023

I wanted to go square because I have 4 of the michelins but others are saying it might mess with some of the electronics because the computer is expecting to see a certain difference between the front and back and changing this too much might mess with the system.
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
I love the Continental DWS on my SS. Not sure if they're the best for the ZL1 but the Pirellis that came on my car effing SUCKED. Probably because it's never warm enough here for them not to. :P
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
zl1_tommy

I am using the existing Goodyears on the front but have swapped to the 315/30/20 Toyo r888 on the rear.
zl1_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
Lashu74
Lashu74

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_tommy View Post
I am using the existing Goodyears on the front but have swapped to the 315/30/20 Toyo r888 on the rear.
On a stock rim? no fitment issues? Thanks for the heads up?
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I am a MPSS person as well, but we went with Continental DWS06 for our Audi SQ5. The reviews everywhere and from other Audi owners hands down gave the edge to the Conti DWS06 tires.

We've had them on the car for 10k miles now and they have been amazing.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
ForgedReality
Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I am a MPSS person as well, but we went with Continental DWS06 for our Audi SQ5. The reviews everywhere and from other Audi owners hands down gave the edge to the Conti DWS06 tires.

We've had them on the car for 10k miles now and they have been amazing.
See? :P
Old 12-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
thompstl1

I really like the Continental DWS's, but they are only rated to 168 MPH. I plan to run the ZL1 at the Texas Mile, and also hope to exceed 168! I'd never make it past initial inspection with that speed rating.

Sure appreciate the input however and would like to hear what others are running. Especially anyone who has figured out how sensitive our ZL1's traction control is relative to changing the stock diameters.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
ForgedReality
Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I really like the Continental DWS's, but they are only rated to 168 MPH. I plan to run the ZL1 at the Texas Mile, and also hope to exceed 168! I'd never make it past initial inspection with that speed rating.

Sure appreciate the input however and would like to hear what others are running. Especially anyone who has figured out how sensitive our ZL1's traction control is relative to changing the stock diameters.
You shouldn't have to change the overall height. Just get the right size tire. You might want an extra set of wheels and tires for racing though too...
Old 12-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post

Not sure about the 6th gen. The 5th gen tolerance is 3.2% from stock before it acts up during normal driving. That probably goes downhill when driving with agression. Thus the common Mpss swap always is 315/35/20 rear, 295/35/20 front to keep the front to rear diameters in check.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #11
thompstl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Not sure about the 6th gen. The 5th gen tolerance is 3.2% from stock before it acts up during normal driving. That probably goes downhill when driving with agression. Thus the common Mpss swap always is 315/35/20 rear, 295/35/20 front to keep the front to rear diameters in check.
Good info! Thanks!