Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
corsa636

Drives: Ford Focus
Transmission Update for 8L90 ?!

Hello,

on gmpowertrain.com is a reverence to an new version of the 8L90 Autimatic transmission (Version: M5X) that features "Start&Stop- Technology" in comparison to the current version (M5U).

Do you know, if / when the new transmission will be used in the camaro?
(Maybe only for Export-Versions??)

I think this feature is pretty cool and helps to save fuel

p.s. For the smaller 8L45 Transmission is also a new version mentioned (new: M5N; current: M5T
corsa636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Can't stand start/stop, annoying as hell and doesn't save really any fuel, not even able to change MPG on window sticker. Plus not to mention the wear and tear of all those restarts. Not worth it.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Can't stand start/stop, annoying as hell and doesn't save really any fuel, not even able to change MPG on window sticker. Plus not to mention the wear and tear of all those restarts. Not worth it.
I agree lol. I have start/stop on the malibu and half the time it doesn't even work. When it does, there is a good 1-2 second delay for it to let gas back in which is just annoying as hell. I think it may be good in a crazy city like LA/NYC/Chicago etc in massive stop and go traffic but if it's just kicking in during stop signs or lights, it's useless imo. AFM > Start/stop technology. Hell, combine both.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I agree lol. I have start/stop on the malibu and half the time it doesn't even work. When it does, there is a good 1-2 second delay for it to let gas back in which is just annoying as hell. I think it may be good in a crazy city like LA/NYC/Chicago etc in massive stop and go traffic but if it's just kicking in during stop signs or lights, it's useless imo. AFM > Start/stop technology. Hell, combine both.
I had a Malibu loaner last summer from my dealer, I didn't realize it had it, scared the crap out of me when I stopped at a traffic light and started to go when the light changed! Lol. I know Cadillac is using huge capacitors that you cannot feel anything, smooth...but trust me capacitors are known to blow all the time, happens to TVs all the time, and those are small compared to what a car would need.

The whole trying to increase MPGs with this dumb technology is just crazy! Good old EPA, another waste of tax payer dollars. GM engineers must be like, "crap let's think of some junk to throw in these engines and cars just to get 1 MPG better. Lol.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I had a Malibu loaner last summer from my dealer, I didn't realize it had it, scared the crap out of me when I stopped at a traffic light and started to go when the light changed! Lol. I know Cadillac is using huge capacitors that you cannot feel anything, smooth...but trust me capacitors are known to blow all the time, happens to TVs all the time, and those are small compared to what a car would need.

The whole trying to increase MPGs with this dumb technology is just crazy! Good old EPA, another waste of tax payer dollars. GM engineers must be like, "crap let's think of some junk to throw in these engines and cars just to get 1 MPG better. Lol.
Thank you for the info about the Caddy's! I had no idea and I always love learning stuff!

I think you are right, like all manufacturer's: "Let's slap on 10 cats on the car, toss some start/stop, craptastic intake so it cuts the power down and emissions better, and let's not forget underrated tunes!"

I do understand the need to control stuff because it helps but... How about they control freaking diesel vehicles? ESPECIALLY the construction ones! But nope, they care about normal cars where as 1 construction truck (like a bulldozer) is worse than 10 catless and tuned v8s....
Build thread HERE!
Old 05-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
SSport16

No problem! I believe the CT6 has the new start/stop systems, I am pretty sure the new XT5 has it too.

I have no problems with new things to help get better MPGs or for engines to run better, etc. The problem I have is when our damn government forces this crap down our throats and forces the hands of the manufacturers like GM to comply with these ridicuous CAFE standards, hence why these types of smoke and mirror features come a out just to squeeze another MPG out of a vehicle, but worry about the long term effects of the vehicles running and somewhat ruining the experience with the cars.

Even vehicles like the Volt/Bolt/ELR, do you really think GM wants to build them?...hell no! Even Bob Lutz even said that GM was forced to build those cars, especially to continue building cars like the Camaro and Corvette that everyone really wants to buy! Having said that, if they need to build the Volt to have cars like those available for me! I a, good with that, just is such a waste and crazy!

Off rant now...lol.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Haha, I completely understand. I am glad they are making these hybrids and building more of them and care to upgrade them. It doesn't really hurt GM to do so as it is another vehicle to sell. Especially volts! They sold a CRAP TON of em this past month, sales increased by 110% if I remember correctly. Hell, I plan on getting a Volt for the wife in about 3-4 years because the daily distance travel can be done purely with the charge and it only adds 30 bucks to your electric bill a month if you charge daily (which you will) which is still hell of a lot cheaper to do so than actually buying gas.

Wife drives the malibu because it's better MPG than the truck haha. 18 mpg vs 30 and even the malibu we gotta gas up about 3 times a month and takes about 25-27 bucks to fill it up from empty needle.

As long as they offer performance cars with manual and big ass V8s, I am golden haha. I highly doubt Domestics will go the turbo/twin v6 crap because it's more "efficient" which is a LIE. Our LT1 get's better MPG than any twin v6 performance car, I come from turbos, they are so NOT efficient. They are horrible with MPG actually but they are "safer" for the environment, supposedly.

Though the R&D for such hybrids and full electrics could easily be used elsewhere... Like making 600hp/tq V8s that somehow get 35-45 mpg. It sounds crazy but it's all about R&D and $$$. I mean... Look at just 5 years. 30 mpg on a v8 that is 455-460hp? People would've laughed at you if you said that just in 2013 before C7 and here we are with the LT1 on C7s WITH manual AND auto getting 30 mpg... Then of course there is the A8 LT1 camaros, hell my manual I can get 32 mpg if I baby it here in KS and have the wind behind me on the highway...

Sadly, there is the Cali market... Which unfortunately is HUGE so these hybrids are held up on a pedestal... And all they do is bitch and moan about 30 round magazines, "evil" looking firearms and ohhhh my car gets 3245234324234 mpg and is sooooooo good for the environment... Don't get me wrong, I do love mother nature but hot damn.....
Build thread HERE!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Haha, I completely understand. I am glad they are making these hybrids and building more of them and care to upgrade them. It doesn't really hurt GM to do so as it is another vehicle to sell. Especially volts! They sold a CRAP TON of em this past month, sales increased by 110% if I remember correctly. Hell, I plan on getting a Volt for the wife in about 3-4 years because the daily distance travel can be done purely with the charge and it only adds 30 bucks to your electric bill a month if you charge daily (which you will) which is still hell of a lot cheaper to do so than actually buying gas.

Wife drives the malibu because it's better MPG than the truck haha. 18 mpg vs 30 and even the malibu we gotta gas up about 3 times a month and takes about 25-27 bucks to fill it up from empty needle.

As long as they offer performance cars with manual and big ass V8s, I am golden haha. I highly doubt Domestics will go the turbo/twin v6 crap because it's more "efficient" which is a LIE. Our LT1 get's better MPG than any twin v6 performance car, I come from turbos, they are so NOT efficient. They are horrible with MPG actually but they are "safer" for the environment, supposedly.

Though the R&D for such hybrids and full electrics could easily be used elsewhere... Like making 600hp/tq V8s that somehow get 35-45 mpg. It sounds crazy but it's all about R&D and $$$. I mean... Look at just 5 years. 30 mpg on a v8 that is 455-460hp? People would've laughed at you if you said that just in 2013 before C7 and here we are with the LT1 on C7s WITH manual AND auto getting 30 mpg... Then of course there is the A8 LT1 camaros, hell my manual I can get 32 mpg if I baby it here in KS and have the wind behind me on the highway...

Sadly, there is the Cali market... Which unfortunately is HUGE so these hybrids are held up on a pedestal... And all they do is bitch and moan about 30 round magazines, "evil" looking firearms and ohhhh my car gets 3245234324234 mpg and is sooooooo good for the environment... Don't get me wrong, I do love mother nature but hot damn.....
LOL...I hear ya! I personally don't care if they build these non gasoline vehicles, if it allows me to buy a car and have a car like my SS, then so be it! Just need companies like GM to keep cars that people actually want to buy, hell their pickup trucks are still their bread and butter!

Yeah it is awesome that our cars are getting this kind of MPGs, crazy, never thought we would see that. Gasoline engines have come so far in the past 10 years or so, amazing what they can do with them.

Yeah Cali is a whole different world out there! lol...Yeah there is definitely a balance needed between the environment and all these crazy policies and agendas that are pushed down peoples throats by these crazy environmentalists!

ok, enough...lol. Back to transmissions and start/stop technology...lol.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
I don't disagree with much of anything said above except for one thing, CAFE is real and its a bitch. They cant leave one stone unturned and still build the cars we're driving. I know you all know this and I'm simply adding perspective. It's the reality we have and unfortunately reality isn't going to get better in the near term so our options are suck it up, walk it off, take it like a man, etc.

Thankfully I haven't had a car yet that didn't allow it to be disabled. My favorite setup is like in the M3 where you only have to push the defeat button once when you buy the car and your done, it doesn't reset at the next start up. That one wasn't so hard to walk off.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post

Thankfully I haven't had a car yet that didn't allow it to be disabled. My favorite setup is like in the M3 where you only have to push the defeat button once when you buy the car and your done, it doesn't reset at the next start up. That one wasn't so hard to walk off.

You should have heard the BMW guys complain about that before the made the button remember the last setting (think it was MY14). Endless threads of "why doesn't it remember!!" lol

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #11
warj1990

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I can see the day that GM takes the massive muffler in the back and places an electric motor in that bay. Then has a second shaft out the rear end. When torque is required the electric motor kicks in. When it is not needed the motor is charging the battery bank with engine braking and the big V8 is cruising along in 4 cylinder mode, just trickle charging the system. When high demand is needed the v8 comes on line with the electric system.

The "new performance" options will be rear wheel drive with the v8 (or turbo 6) while the front wheels are powered by the electric system. So you have an all wheel drive model for very impressive 0-60 while maintaining electric for daily driving.

Just my two cents...or If I had a million, I would build. ;-)
warj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #12
KyleL

Drives: Slow
I'd rather get kicked in the balls at every red light than to have a start/stop feature.

......hated that feature in the loaner Malibu I had
Old 05-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
pete1077

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
I'd rather get kicked in the balls at every red light than to have a start/stop feature.

......hated that feature in the loaner Malibu I had
Agree 100%. I had a loaner Cruze and the first time I pulled up to a red light, I thought the car stalled. Some times it would only stop for maybe 5 seconds. What an annoying feature that might only save you not even 1mpg. And I'm sure the excess stopping and starting puts unnecessary wear on your engine/starter.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 AM   #14
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
That system is sh*t. Please do not even suggest it....

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote