Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-12-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Haze on Carbon Fiber Hood Insert

Just noticed a haze on my hood insert that stretches along the entire edge near the windshield. I tried to wipe it off with some Isopropyl Alcohol but it didn’t do anything. Could this be an issue with the clear? The insert has a ceramic coating on it.

Thanks
Attached Images

SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
My dad just bought a new Civic and had it ceramic coated. First time I looked at it in the light I noticed hazing in a number of places. I would bet it’s the ceramic to be honest. He has had to take the car back twice now for hazing spots.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I can tell you that my insert still had rubbing compound on it - presumably from the manufacturer, because there was no other such compound or anything like that on any other part of the car when I picked it up. That's my guess anyways...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
It's a manufacturing defect. The expoxy resin did not cure properly on that edge.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
That's called "high spot" on the ceramic coating. A little polishing compound will take it off.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
SSallday

I'm thinking more towards a defect. It was ceramic coated about 3 years ago and this is the first time I've noticed it. It could have been there the whole time because you can't really see the haze unless you flash a light on it. It's at the dealer now so they are going to check it out
Old 05-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Anyone that has had carbon will see that on bends or edges the clear coat will not be as thick because of run off. Usually it will haze, then thin, then it will leave the carbon exposed.. washing and sun doesn't help!

if you have a Zl1 1le check the line across the back of the wing.. the 18s should be seeing this by now unless it has film.

if you get the expel ceramic film you will not have the problem. But I have seen the clear coat lift which will look like a bubble in the film. Once you take off the film you will see exposed carbon. This general happens sitting in the sun on a really hot day. It's a double edge sword I honestly think when sitting in the sun the xpel could be causing a lot of the problem I've seen it wrinkle from the heat and the carbon be totally fine. I also seen flat areas where maybe the xpel caused the problem. Any way you look at it rock chips, heat damage, or thin clear will get ya.

Plan on getting it resprayed before it becomes worse. The dealer will cover under warranty if still under warranty. I have seen a lot shops not guarantee there work for respraying carbon for some reason yet they will give a lifetime warranty on fascia's and other parts.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #8
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Anyone that has had carbon will see that on bends or edges the clear coat will not be as thick because of run off. Usually it will haze, then thin, then it will leave the carbon exposed.. washing and sun doesn't help!

if you have a Zl1 1le check the line across the back of the wing.. the 18s should be seeing this by now unless it has film.

if you get the expel ceramic film you will not have the problem. But I have seen the clear coat lift which will look like a bubble in the film. Once you take off the film you will see exposed carbon. This general happens sitting in the sun on a really hot day. It's a double edge sword I honestly think when sitting in the sun the xpel could be causing a lot of the problem I've seen it wrinkle from the heat and the carbon be totally fine. I also seen flat areas where maybe the xpel caused the problem. Any way you look at it rock chips, heat damage, or thin clear will get ya.

Plan on getting it resprayed before it becomes worse. The dealer will cover under warranty if still under warranty. I have seen a lot shops not guarantee there work for respraying carbon for some reason yet they will give a lifetime warranty on fascia's and other parts.
It’s very odd because the entire thing was ceramic coated. Maybe they didn’t get the edges good enough. They are going to replace it under warranty but I would like to prevent this from happening on the new one.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:20 AM   #9
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Ceramic coated or ceramic film like window tint? If it's just the liquid I imagine the same thing it would just run off on the edges and not be as thick as smooth surface

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 05-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #10
SSallday

Quote:
Ceramic coated or ceramic film like window tint? If it's just the liquid I imagine the same thing it would just run off on the edges and not be as thick as smooth surface
I didn’t even know they had ceramic film. They used ceramic pro (liquid). I’ll ask them to apply an extra coat on the edges when the new one comes in
Old 05-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #11
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSallday View Post
I didn’t even know they had ceramic film. They used ceramic pro (liquid). I’ll ask them to apply an extra coat on the edges when the new one comes in
Comes in handy for rock chips.. a liquid will not stop rocks that's why most people do the film over c quartz or ceramic pro liquid you get shine and rock protection.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #12
SSallday

Quote:
Comes in handy for rock chips.. a liquid will not stop rocks that's why most people do the film over c quartz or ceramic pro liquid you get shine and rock protection.
Are you referring to ppf with cquartz or is the ceramic film its own thing? The defective piece had Xpel but it didn't wrap around the edges. You can see in the picture where it cuts off. I believe they ceramic coated everything including the Xpel.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #13
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

They should of removed the cf scoop and wraped the film over the edges would of been protected better and no seems. Just like if you had a zl1 1le the film needs go over the rear lip of the wing. These areas are thinner and just wiping/cleaning them and sun is hard on them all because the when they spray it goes on thinner

See pic.. here is another edge yours is just early stage but this will happen next.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2021, 09:53 PM   #14
SSallday

Quote:
They should of removed the cf scoop and wraped the film over the edges would of been protected better and no seems. Just like if you had a zl1 1le the film needs go over the rear lip of the wing. These areas are thinner and just wiping/cleaning them and sun is hard on them all because the when they spray it goes on thinner

See pic.. here is another edge yours is just early stage but this will happen next.
The new one was just installed today. My dealer was nice enough to let me bring the scoop to my detailer first before installing it. He wrapped the entire thing this time including the edges. It has a layer of ceramic coating as well. I hope this one doesn't fade like the last one.