Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-20-2021, 05:46 AM   #15
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Hill assist works perfectly 100% of the time for me
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:37 AM   #16
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I'm pretty sure to use the hill assist feature you have to press the brake pedal pretty hard to get it to engage

That is correct. You have to press it more firmly than you normally would on a slight incline for hill assist to activate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:37 AM   #17
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
My experience the hill assist working is random at best, I tried the hard press with no joy. I honestly can live without it but it will occasionally show up to the party and get in the way. If you're on a steep incline and need it (someone on your ass) use the parking brake as mentioned above, not the most elegant method but at least it will work consistently.

Works every time I want it to for me.

srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #18
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You will get adjusted to it with time! I like the feature because sometimes you get a asshat to pull up so far on your rear bumper and don’t have to worry about rolling back into them.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:01 AM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Here's how hill start assist works, 'roughly'...

- You come to a stop
- Car is in gear
- Clutch is in
- Foot on the brake holding the car still

As long as the car is on a "steep enough" incline, releasing the brake will engage Hill Start Assist and the car will NOT roll backwards for about 2-3 seconds (much longer in the real world than it sounds like) giving you plenty of time to get the clutch to where it engages and give it a little throttle to start moving forward.

If you have your foot off of the brake for more than 2-3 seconds, the Hill Start Assist cancels. If the car is not in gear when you release the brake, the Hill Start Assist never engages.

My style is to pull up to a light, take the car out of gear, release the clutch pedal, and hold the car with the brake. When the light turns, the clutch goes in, car goes into gear, brake gets released, and off I go.

Honestly - the clutch and transmission on these cars is -really- nice and I've never had an issue pulling away from a stop whether on a hill or not. Sometimes, I release the brake first and THEN put the clutch in and shift into gear and I -still- don't have any issues with starting on a hill.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #20
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
That is correct. You have to press it more firmly than you normally would on a slight incline for hill assist to activate.

You actually don't need to press it any differently that for stopping the car. HSA relies on a sensor in the car to know the amount of incline and engages it according to that.

Directly from the owner's manual:

"HSA is available when the vehicle is facing uphill in a forward gear,
or when facing downhill in
R (Reverse). The vehicle must come to a complete stop on a grade for HSA to activate."

And, yes, it works in Reverse if you're facing downhill as well. So, it's a combination of sensing which way the car is 'tilted', how much it's tilted, and which gear you have the transmission in when you release the brake.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I'm pretty sure to use the hill assist feature you have to press the brake pedal pretty hard to get it to engage
Not required... It is only related to the amount of incline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
That's one b**** I have about the electronic e-brake -- no ability to slowly release it as you get the car into gear. I didn't realize how much I used it in the past until this car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Doesn’t the e brake disengage when you pop the clutch?
If you engage the parking brake and attempt to drive away with it engaged, it releases on its own. I wouldn't say you're 'popping' the clutch because I often forget to release the brake in my garage before backing out and it releases on its own even though that's a very light application of throttle for me.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #22
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Page 194 of the 2020 owners manual. But ember's description is right on.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #23
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
My driveway is a slight downhill incline towards the street and I back into the garage. When I am stopped on the driveway and only press the brake barely enough (minimal pressure) to keep the car from rolling, HSA does not engage. If I press the brake harder (not hard, just a regular amount) then HSA does engage. Of course, this is with the trans in R.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobz View Post
My driveway is a slight downhill incline towards the street and I back into the garage. When I am stopped on the driveway and only press the brake barely enough (minimal pressure) to keep the car from rolling, HSA does not engage. If I press the brake harder (not hard, just a regular amount) then HSA does engage. Of course, this is with the trans in R.
Chances are, the car doesn't recognize that you're fully stopped. Try holding light brake pressure for a few full seconds and see what happens.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #25
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Hill Assist is fine when it kicks in, but you'll be frustrated if you rely on it. Just get real comfortable with the engagement point on the clutch and you can get it down in a matter of days without rolling. So. Much. Torque. Not too bad getting good starting up a hill without rolling.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #26
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I think the confusion on needing firm brake pressure to engage is because the feature will not engage unless the car is at a complete stop. Well when on an incline in order to be at and stay at a complete stop one tends to apply a firm brake foot. One leads to another - a firm brake ensures a complete stop and then the feature engages.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #27
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
Hill Assist is fine when it kicks in, but you'll be frustrated if you rely on it. Just get real comfortable with the engagement point on the clutch and you can get it down in a matter of days without rolling. So. Much. Torque. Not too bad getting good starting up a hill without rolling.
In the V8 cars, yes. OP has a 1LT, though. Stout transmission still, but not quite as much torque.

As far as the reliance aspect goes, I do agree that developing a level of comfort with the car is key (always is, really). Since the car won't engage HSA unless the incline is steep enough, the lesser inclines won't trip it but those are also the times when you really don't need it as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I think the confusion on needing firm brake pressure to engage is because the feature will not engage unless the car is at a complete stop. Well when on an incline in order to be at and stay at a complete stop one tends to apply a firm brake foot. One leads to another - a firm brake ensures a complete stop and then the feature engages.
Agreed.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #28
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Now, when you find yourself parked on a hill with cars front and behind, the methods get more dicey. Pointed downhill is very different from pointed uphill.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote