Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #71
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
I have an extensive history with Camaros and Mustangs going back to 1975. Here's the list (all manuals):

1974 Camaro Z28
1980 Camaro Z28
1984 Camaro Z28 (L69 H.O. option)
1987 Mustang GT
1995 Mustang GT
2005 Mustang GT

I was strictly a GM guy until the late '80s when a co-worker said his 5.0 Capri could beat my '84 Z28. I just laughed it off. One night after work we met unplanned, side-by-side on the highway, and sure enough his 5.0 pulled away from my 190 horsepower L69. Instantly changed my allegiance from GM.

Ordered the S197 2005 Mustang when it was the hot redesigned pony car. Camaro had been discontinued since 2002. I have nothing but praise for that Mustang. I got it with the Screaming Yellow paint, and it was like being a celebrity the whole 10 years I owned it. I learned about track days with that car, and did one HPDE event each year from 2007 until I sold it in 2015. The car never went back to the dealer once, and never had a single problem the entire time I owned it. Rock solid.

To answer the question from the OP - Why DIDN'T I buy a Mustang GT? Basically a test drive in a 2SS sealed the deal. It was love at first sight with the exhaust note and racecar-like feel. I did test drive a Mustang GT PP1 as well, and I liked that car too. The Mustang ergonomics were better, but I was already in love with the Camaro and it was a foregone conclusion.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #72
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
The coyote only shines above 5000 rpm, whereas the lt1 will push you into your seat even at 2k rpm. LT1 seems more responsive on the street and on the twisty roads. I'd imagine an A10 mustang gt would make a fine comfy fast coupe. But if I was looking for something which was more fun all around, the M6 LT1 is a riot.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #73
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
but what sold me on the Camaro was it's track focus backed by a warranty that openly covered tracked cars.
This is Ford's MASSIVE failure. It's amazing really how track use of the GT350/500 you're on your own. Pathetic really.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #74
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun37 View Post
This is Ford's MASSIVE failure. It's amazing really how track use of the GT350/500 you're on your own. Pathetic really.
From what I have looked up, it looks like Ford does cover Mustang warranties as long as it's not a competitive event?

Chevy covers the performance Camaros on non-competitive events with stock cars.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #75
wjones14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
I also cross-shopped BMW (a couple 3-series and the M2 Competition). Not worth the extra money in comparison with the Camaro SS. Got the Camaro SS for about $10K less than the M2 Competition. Driving the Camaro SS put a smile on my face. The M2 Competition, not so much.
The thread is asking why you didn't but a Mustang, not a BMW. Nonetheless, this post caught my eye, because I am in the opposite position - I'm seriously thinking about trading my 2SS 1LE for an M2 Competition. I love driving the 1LE and have a big grin on my face every time I punch the throttle. Love the sound of the NPP, and love that it's adjustable. Love the HUD. Love the steering feel and quickness, and the tight responsive handling.

What I don't like is the horrible ergonomics, visibility, practicality/storage, and the huge size of the car.

The M2 Competition is smaller and lighter and makes similar power with a flatter torque curve. The interior quality is just better as are the ergonomics, and the car is more refined overall.

Sorry to hijack the thread - it's a good one.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
Old 12-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #76
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
The thread is asking why you didn't but a Mustang, not a BMW. Nonetheless, this post caught my eye, because I am in the opposite position - I'm seriously thinking about trading my 2SS 1LE for an M2 Competition. I love driving the 1LE and have a big grin on my face every time I punch the throttle. Love the sound of the NPP, and love that it's adjustable. Love the HUD. Love the steering feel and quickness, and the tight responsive handling.

What I don't like is the horrible ergonomics, visibility, practicality/storage, and the huge size of the car.

The M2 Competition is smaller and lighter and makes similar power with a flatter torque curve. The interior quality is just better as are the ergonomics, and the car is more refined overall.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
I seriously hope you will be leasing the M2C, not buying it.

I would NEVER touch a BMW just because of the horrendous reliability. They are pretty much designed to fall apart as soon as the warranty expires. I actually talked to a local tow truck driver when I had some issues on my RX-8, and he told me the cars he tows the most due to mechanical issues? BMW and Mercedes.

I believe someone told me that when Toyota took the B58 engine from BMW and put it in the Zupr4, they found hundreds of components that don't meet the Toyota standards, and Toyota has to redesign them. I would still be wary of the Zupr4 B58, though.

And trading an NA V8 for a turbocharged engine in a sports car? Never. No replacement for displacement!

Past:
Old 12-23-2020, 08:20 PM   #77
wjones14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I seriously hope you will be leasing the M2C, not buying it.

I would NEVER touch a BMW just because of the horrendous reliability. They are pretty much designed to fall apart as soon as the warranty expires. I actually talked to a local tow truck driver when I had some issues on my RX-8, and he told me the cars he tows the most due to mechanical issues? BMW and Mercedes.

I believe someone told me that when Toyota took the B58 engine from BMW and put it in the Zupr4, they found hundreds of components that don't meet the Toyota standards, and Toyota has to redesign them. I would still be wary of the Zupr4 B58, though.

And trading an NA V8 for a turbocharged engine in a sports car? Never. No replacement for displacement!
Thanks for the friendly advice. I owned a 2 series BMW for 3 years and never had an issue. And yes, given the choice, I’d prefer a NA engine, but the S55 in the M2C pulls just as hard as the LT1. In Road & Track’s head to head with the 2SS 1LE vs. the M2C, the BMW pulled the Chevy every time in their drag races.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #78
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Low end grunt, track capabilities and 1LE looks. Also I think our m6 is better then stang m6.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #79
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Thanks for the friendly advice. I owned a 2 series BMW for 3 years and never had an issue. And yes, given the choice, I’d prefer a NA engine, but the S55 in the M2C pulls just as hard as the LT1. In Road & Track’s head to head with the 2SS 1LE vs. the M2C, the BMW pulled the Chevy every time in their drag races.
3 years are usually how long leases are, so yeah, if you get rid of them before then, you will be fine.

That race is using a M2C DCT against an SS 1LE M6. I wonder how it will be up against an SS 1LE A10, now that Chevy has that as an option, and Chevy is touting that the A10 shifts faster than PDK in sequential upshifts in the first few gears(helpful for drag races).

If I am looking for a car smaller than the Camaro, the choice is real simple. I would hop back into a C7 Z51.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Also I think our m6 is better then stang m6.
No need for the "I think" bit. It is better. Better reliability, better shifting feel, shorter throw(which is better). TR-6060 is a very proven design.

The only thing is the skip shift, but it's easily bypassed with a $20 defeat device, so it's hardly a negative.

Sent from toaster or something

Past:
Old 12-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #80
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I don’t get the question.... Mustang = better site lines, owner recognition, better sounding exhaust. Outside of that, the Camaro = better low end torque, better manual and automatic transmission (programming for auto), better handling, steering feel, ergonomics may be tight, but more engaging.

Someone said that the stang needed to be at a 5k to sing... 4250 or so and it starts to sing. Regardless, newer stangs are heavy weights, my 2012 base M6 stang with a tune and a few other upgrades destroys most newer M6 stangs. Stangs scare me over 110 mph ( floaty even with mods) where as the Camaro is just cruising.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #81
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
I grew up learning that Ford’s name was an acronym that stood for “F@#k Our Ride Died!” There was of course nothing to base this on but my fathers conclusion, yet his father (my grandfather), was a staunch Ford and Merc guy

Pre Covid-19 (and hopefully post), I travelled a lot for business. As a result ive rented everything under the sun in the “sport” and “premium” category for Hertz, Tilden, National, Avis and the like. This has put me behind the wheel of Mustang’s (and Challenger’s), quite a bit.

For the Mustang, the interior is (to me), tacky, clunky, and not well thought out. Mileage as well is not kind to Mustang’s. The amount of dashboard creaks and door rattles I’ve heard in relatively new vehicles is outside of the norm compared to the other vehicles I have rented. The Fords to me just do not have the fit and finish of the Camaro’s. On handling the Mustangs are... kind of reminiscent of Buick’s to me. They aren’t as bad as the Challengers, but they simply aren’t on par with my Camaro. (No offence to Buick owners here, a good buddy owns an 87 Grand National. I will buy her one day).

On the 6th Gen Camaro’s now, as others have stated, I like the cockpit feel of the cabin. I’ve said many times that getting in my Camaro is like putting on an Orange coloured speedo. The car feels as if it’s part of you like the Mustang (and Challenger), simply do not.

I was very close to purchasing a GT350 before I bought my first 6th Gen Camaro (a 2017 2SS). When I compared the two, the Camaro was way more value for the dollar. Now that I’m in a ZL1, no comparison.

My $0.02.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #82
SkySerpent

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange LT1 M6
I did 6 months of research 3 years ago and bought a Camaro. I am currently buying another (v8 upgrade + getting rid of the A8 for a M6)

The main reason I didn't buy Mustang: Build quality.

Went to a lot to see some Mustangs and they had a few GT350's there my dad wanted to see. The panel gaps on those cars should have been a crime. They had 10 Mustangs in total. They had some that the rubber seals on the hood were poking out the gap was to big. Every single car had a very obvious panel gap, more then I have ever seen on any other car (granted my family has only bought Toyota's in the past 33 years)

Secondary issues like interior design and infotainment also swayed me to Camaro.
SkySerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #83
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodbytes View Post
I like the looks and feel of both the exterior and the interior of the Camaro better.
The interior in the mustang is cheap and silly looking in comparison. Take the start button for instance. It's ridiculous. I don't like the look of the new digital gauges either.

The steering response in the Mustang GT is really bland compared to the Camaro.

I like the steering feel and plated feel of the Camaro. To me, it feels like a proper sports car.

On a side note. Even with Ford now watering down the Mustang with the new electric SUV, they've been doing that for quite some time. Look how similar a Ford Mustang is to a Ford Mondeo. Can't tell the difference when I see them in my rear view mirror.

Last thing. I'll never want to own a Ford. Okay, maybe a Ford GT, but that's it.

Is that the Brandenburg gate?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #84
DC4
DCSr

Drives: 17 50th Anniversary SS
I chose the Camaro over the Mustang for a few reasons. I wanted a sunroof and where I live there are tons of Mustangs and not so many Camaros. I know Camaros are far from rare but way fewer than Mustangs. I liked the looks of the Camaro more too.
DC4 is offline   Reply With Quote