#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 12-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Why DIDN'T you buy a mustang GT??

What lead you to buy the Camaro over the mustang? Im basically torn. And I flip flop daily as to which one I want. The Mustang GT seems like its updates since 2018 have taken it into the same class as the Camaro 2SS in just about all categories. If I was looking at a 2017 or older Mustang GT, I would pick the Camaro 10/10 times. But now that you can get active exhaust (which sounds amazing), mag ride, the A10 and that sick digital dash, the mustang looks like a bargin also considering they are generally cheaper with rebates and incentives.

So if you shopped the Mustang GT vs your Camaro, why did you take the camaro in the end. As I said on the thread at the mustang6G site, please no flame wars. Dont go over there and start trolling or starting anything.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Internet chatter I read, lead me to believe there were a lot of issues with quality on the fords. Seems as if I have read several posts on here that individuals had switched from the mustang to the camaro, due to problems on the ford. Can I back up the chatter I read, no I have never owned a ford, ever.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
The mustang GT I test drove felt sloppy to me, plenty of body roll into corners. Coming from an Subi Sti, that was not going to fly. The Camaro felt right, needs a few parts to make it even better side to side, but still wasn't as sloppy feeling TO ME!

*edit* Also the additional 30 torque seemed noticeable to me. No i'm not a race car driver and that isn't some experts opinion or fact. Just an observation. I also like the design of the Camaro better, the low roof line is just sweet as hell. Lastly, when driving around, there aren't 6 per mile like the mustang!
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I got a Mustang GT first, then a Camaro. I like both TBH.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I have owned 5 Mustangs. 3 GTs (2007, 2008 and 2013), Turbo 4 (2017) and a V6 ( 2014 my Son's Car).

I have always been a Trans Am guy but I owned Vettes, GTO and Mustangs. The TA just never came at the right time. I was not really ever for or against Camaro they canceled it in 2002 so I bought the GTO in 2004. Fast forward to 2016 on the Gen6. I loved them. I wanted a Hyper Blue Vert but the dealers were not moving on the pricing, so I went over to Ford. They gave me a great deal on the 2017 Turbo 4 Vert. So I got it. I still wanted the Camaro but I wanted a peppy convertible to cruise around with the top down.

About a couple months into owning the car and a few hundred miles on the clock, when putting the top down (for the 100th time) I heard a POP and click. So I looked and what happened was a trim piece on the top was missing, a piece that covers the metal framing (for lack of better explanation), and the way the Mustang top works it kind of folds in and around then down. Well the exposed metal caught the top on the inside and ripped it. I called Ford and took it to the dealer. At which time they claimed it was ABUSE! I will not get into the story any further other than they refused to fix it.

FF to Maybe December 2019 I started looking for Camaro again. Well at the time we were planning a trip to Clearwater for Vacation and I saw a Riverside Blue vert on Raiti's Rides on Youtube (Plug for Joe, great guy). My wife said lets ditch this Ford and get it.

So I ditched the Ford and I am now in the Blue Camaro I wanted.

The story is actually a bit longer but my laziness is overwhelming and I am done typing.

EDIT: I will add when I talked to Ford Corporate, I pleaded with them no not do me like this, I said I have owned 5 Mustangs do not do this to me. The guy was a total jackass (and some more words we will leave out). I know everyone "has that story" with a car company but I will never buy another Ford after that.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
Wrecks24

Drives: Camaro LT1
I like the Mustang. I like Camaro. TBH I think the Camaro Looks a lot better. I will never push either car to its limits enough to make a difference, but went with the Chevy.
Wrecks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
ScatPack
Banned

I keep telling myself that I really want the camaro, but I'll probably end up in the mustang. I dont know why, but thats what I feel will happen. Mostly because Im not going to pay inflated prices for a car that GM was giving away last year. And also I know that the aftermarket will be easier and cheaper to make the mustang go fast vs the camaro. I was initially going to get a ZL1, but I dont want a huge payment even though im planning on putting down $10k. And I feel like I could get a great deal on a 2SS and just buy a blower for it and be well under what I would have paid for the ZL1. Same with the mustang but there was no way I was going to get a Shelby GT350 or 500. The 350 is WAY overpriced. When compared to the SS 1LE, its no contest price to performance. And the GT500 is over $100k in most cases. No thanks. So there are very limited options to get into a fast car for $50k not including my down.

As for the cars themselves, I agree about the mustang feeling sloppy. Even in the PP1 variant. And I want an A10, so no PP2 option for me.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #8
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
I like mustangs, but they're so common, the interior is weirdly bad, also the reports of the MT-82 (the 6spd) being 'not great' led me to decide on Camaro or Challenger. Driving the challenger led me to the Camaro.

I do give points to the mustang for the better visibility and regular octane, but the styling, the engine, the interior, the transmission all go to Camaro (and challenger for that matter).

Riding in and driving friend's mustangs led me to understand the Camaro was the right move.

Now just to work on the exhaust to get the Camaro to sound as good as the Mustang or challenger...
Old 12-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
shogun37

Drives: none
Best move is wait for the Mach1 if you can stomach the price or can wait a year. The PP1 is very much unfinished. 3-4 grand in parts and labor (unless you bought a MR-equipped) and you'll be close enough to an SS/1LE that it won't really matter from a driving perspective. Looks doesn't matter to me. They both look good enough.

Test drive as many times as you can.
I bought a PP1 GT and then 4 months later a SS/1LE because the Camaro was so much better in driving dynamics. PP1 has since been upgraded so it's a lot closer now.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
ScatPack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
I like mustangs, but they're so common, the interior is weirdly bad, also the reports of the MT-82 (the 6spd) being 'not great' led me to decide on Camaro or Challenger. Driving the challenger led me to the Camaro.

Riding in and driving friend's mustangs led me to understand the Camaro was the right move.

Now just to work on the exhaust to get the Camaro to sound as good as the Mustang or challenger...
I have to defend the mustang MT82 here like I defended the camaro over there with the "visibility" reason for not buying.

There are MAYBE a handful of bad trans's from 2011 that started this feeling. But the real deal is way more bad drivers. People not understanding how to properly shift and drive a manual V8 muscle car. I had (2) 2011 GTs, a 2012 GT and a 2014 GT all with the MT82. Never had one issue with the almost 100k miles spread across all those cars I owned. Those trans's are not gods gift to racing, but I've had my share of shit trans's with other cars as well. A nice shifter and some solid trans mounts completely fixes any lock out problem you could have.

Now Im sure there are bad MT82s out there, but I can almost guaranty they are caused by bad drivers.

Just as "visibility" might be an issue in the camaro if you are 4'11" or 6'8". But for the majority of normal sized adults, you can see out fine. Not about getting that large coke from McDonalds through the window at the drive threw...
Old 12-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
ScatPack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun37 View Post
Best move is wait for the Mach1 if you can stomach the price or can wait a year. The PP1 is very much unfinished. 3-4 grand in parts and labor (unless you bought a MR-equipped) and you'll be close enough to an SS/1LE that it won't really matter from a driving perspective. Looks doesn't matter to me. They both look good enough.

Test drive as many times as you can.
I bought a PP1 GT and then 4 months later a SS/1LE because the Camaro was so much better in driving dynamics. PP1 has since been upgraded so it's a lot closer now.
Yeah but once again, Ford has decided to hobble this new Mach1 with just a manual trans option. Chevy FINALLY got their act together on the 1LE and for 2021 you can get an A10 now. That should have been the case since 2017. But one could argue now that a 1SS 1LE with the A10 could be the perfect muscle/pony car. This has me thinking. Aside from the horrible Recaro seats, thats an awesome package with the A10 now.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
I just don’t get the lack a brand loyalty, I would never even consider a Ford. Don’t even like having to type the word in a forum.
If your a Chevy guy or a Mopar girl, that’s it, no crossing.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
ScatPack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintslinger16 View Post
I just don’t get the lack a brand loyalty, I would never even consider a Ford. Don’t even like having to type the word in a forum.
If your a Chevy guy or a Mopar girl, that’s it, no crossing.
No offense but thats a silly torch to carry. If another brand is doing something you like better, or just straight up better, why not switch?
Old 12-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Never had a true muscle or sports car before. Subjectively, the Camaro spoke to me like nothing else to begin with, and when I did my research afterwards, the Mustang simply had nothing to attract me apart from its awesome exhaust note—mediocre performance, bulbous body design, hideous catfish front, 1990s interior. Finally, the Mustang is an extremely common sight here, everyone and their little sister has one, and I wanted something more special.

On a related note, I genuinely didn't anticipate the way GM basically abandoned the Camaro after 2018, adding small bits and pieces and those silly, expensive design packages, while the competition are doing what they're best at. Ford is gradually making the Mustang better in every metric that the Camaro beat it at, and Chrysler are adding 'moar powah' every year. I never regretted my choice, would still buy a Camaro despite all this because it's still so good, and I absolutely love my supercharged SS, but GM's attitude is outright embarrassing.

Just my 2 cents', as always in these matters.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote