Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #29
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Since you get little snow go all season. I got winter tires but as long as they last one more winter that’s all I care about . Then I retire and I’m getting continental when I need them again. If we get lots of snow it sits till the roads get plowed.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #30
crab

Drives: 2019 1LE
Same boat here with the 1le, the Goodyear's are great on dry pavement when up to temp but scary in the wet. Probably switching to some all seasons when they wear out, and if I start autocross may just get another set of dedicated tires and wheels. (Marysville)
"That my friend.. is the sweet succulent sound of the car preparing to ignite the wonderfully tasty nectar your V8 needs to send the screaming bald eagles furiously from the 4 pipes out of the rear of your vehicle"
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #31
zcobrausa

Drives: 19 SS 1LE 17 Corvette GS 14 BRZ
Carry over from another thread.
I put BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S on my 1LE for DD. Quiet. Doesn’t throw gravel. Good grip. Good in rain and cold. No snow where I am so I can’t comment on that. I left the OEM F1’s for track days. The BFG’s should last a while and they don’t break the bank.

255/35 ZR20 in front and 275/35 in the rear. Speedo difference from OEM is negligible. I bought a new set of wheels for DD.
20X9 FLOW ONE RACE SPEC F2 GLS BLACK and 20x10 in the back. All from Tire Rack.

I believe the tires are the same size as a regular SS with the Brembo’s or at least an OEM alternative. Tire Rack wouldn’t guarantee fitment on the 1LE or show those sizes as an OEM alternative because of liability. They said they could only endorse rears of the same width according to their legal dept because they won’t grip as much. They fit perfectly and the outer diameters are virtually identical to the OEM.
Attached Images

zcobrausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #32
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
If you look at this frost (plant hardiness) map it generally tells where you need winter tires and where you probably don't....

In the blue zones you should really consider winter tires. In the green zones you should probably get winter tires. In the yellow zone you probably don't need snows, but also good all seasons (like the Conti DWS06) would be preferred as temps get really cold in the winter and summer tires may be an issue, but it wouldn't hurt if you are really safety conscience. In the orange and red zones you don't need winter tires for those few times is gets below 40*, but all seasons should also get you by.

Any time that it gets below 40* at the same time it's wet, summer tires aren't the best choice.

--kC
Dedicated snow tires are useful all the way down into the yellow zones as they are a softer compound that will improve traction in ALL road conditions when the temps are down. Even a high quality all-season tire will not track as well as a snow tire when temps are in the 30's or below. And, keep in mind, that traction needs are even higher when braking as compared to accelerating or maintaining speed.

With that said, living my whole life in New England and driving all kinds of vehicles year-round, I've never personally run dedicated snows. I run high quality all seasons and err on the side of caution and just stay home when conditions are questionable for the vehicle in question.

The Camaro won't leave the garage once the first snow fall is expected as I won't subject it to the chemicals on the road.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #33
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Honestly just leave the stock tires on and if it is snowy or real crappy, leave it in the garage and take the SUV...that is my plan, snow or crappy days, taking the SRX.
I resemble that remark. Right down to the SRX. I have a black 2012 as my "everything else" car.

In any event, I'm planning my first tire purchase and I'm back and forth on the idea of replacing with OEM GYs or shifting over to Michelin PS4S. More for the wet traction issues. Might also consider a second set of wheels with different tires.

It's in the garage under its blanket during snow season. Speaking of which, I notice on that frost map, Buffalo is NOT in the "need snow tires" range. Things that make you go "hmmm"
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #34
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
When I considered and have had on other cars a snow/ice tire (Xi3) what I found in Kansas City winters was that they were great about 5 days out of the year when there was snow on the ground. Driving on those tires the other 99% of the winter season just sucked something awful...squishy unresponsive and just crap. Really all I need is a A/S for the <32 temps. Those 5 days it snows I can wait it out 1/2 to 1 day for the streets to be cleared/treated. And, an ultra HP A/S like the Comp2 A/S or AS3+ is a lot more fun to ride on through the season until you get back to Mar and the summers go back on.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote