Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-09-2022, 08:05 AM   #1
Harley Kidd

Drives: Black 2022, ZL1, Hurst M6 NPP
Is this a good idea???

I am planning on deleting the secondary cat and installing the Stainless Works Axle Back system. My question is the area on the stock pipes where GM crimped them down. I was thinking about taking those sections out and replacing with normal size pipe. Has anyone done this and is it a good idea? Lastly I have seen so many comments about going to the Roto Fab CAI. If you look on Summit there are a lot of different ones and part numbers. Which one is the right one? Not considering the Big Gulp as my car has less then 700 miles on it and I don't want to deal with losing my warranty at this time. Look for your advice.
Harley Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #2
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
The crimp pipes have been tested to show no resistance, you can remove them but really there is no reason to

As for the rotofab you have just a couple things to decide:
-Sound tube or no? I went without to eliminate all that ugly extra plumbing underhood
-Oil or dry filter? Not going to start a heated debate here but I decided the dry filter was best for my car
Old 06-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #3
Harley Kidd

Thanks JoeKD

Many thanks for your advice. It is hard to understand how crimping the pipe does not effect exhaust gas exit or flow. As to sound tube my new car does not even have that tube. It has the small hole blocker on the firewall.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Kidd View Post
Many thanks for your advice. It is hard to understand how crimping the pipe does not effect exhaust gas exit or flow. As to sound tube my new car does not even have that tube. It has the small hole blocker on the firewall.
GM has been doing this for decades and it's shown to have no effect to the flow of exhaust.

So they seem to know what they are doing with this crimped exhaust if they are still using it.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:39 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Get the regular RotoFab intake made for a ZL1. It’s an easy install and shouldn’t affect your warranty. You can always take it off and put the stock intake back on for warranty work. Most dealerships don’t mind a cold air intake as long as you don’t tune the car. You can cut out the crimped sections of pipe and have new pipe welded into the system but as was said it’s not really necessary or you can change to a new X-pipe to do away with that section since you are installing a axle back exhaust.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I believe the crimped section was found to be good up to about 900 rwhp on a dynojet (CSP's test). I believe ARH has also done tests that show the stock axleback is good for a lot of HP. I think you have to look at the cross-sectional area of the crimps, plus realize that the exhaust gases are a lot cooler by the time they get back there, and don't need as much room.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #7
Rwhp042

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Hooker makes a crimp delete kit. I used it on mine because I wanted to take the center center section of the exhaust off and do the secondary cat delete. Can’t say I noticed any power increase, but I like not having the secondary cats and the crimped section.
Rwhp042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:54 PM   #8
Harley Kidd

That last comment was interesting but is it Legal?

I too am getting to the point where I wanted to delete the secondary cats. But today while getting my car inspected I was told if I delete the secondary or the first for that matter no inspecting company can legally give my car a pass. I was told they look to see all equipment is still on the car including the cats when they look over the car. I know alot of members have deleted their cats so I am wondering how they can get away with that when it comes to having the car go through the annual state inspection. Maybe it is now the law in other states but I was told today it is the law in Texas. If anyone has some good information on this I would really like to hear it.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:15 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Kidd View Post
It is hard to understand how crimping the pipe does not effect exhaust gas exit or flow.
It doesn't. You'd be surprised how much you can bash the pipes before it matters. Engine masters did it. And it's been done here on the forum with crimp replacements using straight pipes. The verdict: no effect.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vupq0
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:02 PM   #10
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
It doesn't. You'd be surprised how much you can bash the pipes before it matters. Engine masters did it. And it's been done here on the forum with crimp replacements using straight pipes. The verdict: no effect.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vupq0
Enjoyed watching that! Thanks for sharing.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:00 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The way GM crimped the exhaust widened the pipe in that area so the flow is not effected much.

On a ZL1 there was about a 4-5 whp difference by removing the crimp section on a 800whp ZL1.

On a SS I believe the gains would be a little more substantial since it's slightly smaller diameter and has the AFM valves upstream of the crimp section on the A8/A10 cars. The AFM valve section is around 2.5".
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #12
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
If anyone wants to see why this crimped section works, just look up Continuity Equation or Bernoulli's Equation.

I know there is a scientific name for this and I know I've watched a video on it before. Just can't remember what it was exactly.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote