Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-21-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
choffhous

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
How to Identify Blend Door Issue?

So recently my AC does not want to blow cold air at all. Its not heat but its not cold, if that makes sense. Heater also works fine. And yes, I made sure the AC was on max, with circulation on and the snowflake.

Over the past couple of month at random times I would hear a weird noise coming from what sounded like the middle of the dashboard. It sound like "WHOOOOP" (best way I can describe it) and it would sometimes last a split second or a few seconds. I haven't heard it in about a week or so but my AC was still working fine while this was happening.

I really do not want to pay $2k+ to get this blend door fixed and I would much rather do it myself.

Before I start taking out the front seat, is there any way to specifically diagnose the issue as the broken blend door? I would hate to get in there and see it perfectly intact.

Edit: I should mention too that I only have 83k miles on my 2011, if that makes any difference.
choffhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Try here for starters,

Blend Door Database
Old 03-21-2022, 10:09 PM   #3
choffhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Try here for starters,

Blend Door Database
I swear I've read everything and still cant figure out how to diagnose it solely as the blend door

I ordered an endoscope camera and just going to put that through the vents and see if I can see the blend door that way.

Last edited by choffhous; 03-21-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:04 AM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
You say the heater works fine, so does the temp get warmer when you turn the dial to max heat and get less warm when you turn it back? If so then the blend door is moving/working.
A way to test if a/c is good is when the windshield is foggy set it to defrost with snowflake on and circulation off, temp at any warm setting, if windshield clears then a/c is working.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:36 AM   #5
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by choffhous View Post
So recently my AC does not want to blow cold air at all. Its not heat but its not cold, if that makes sense. Heater also works fine. And yes, I made sure the AC was on max, with circulation on and the snowflake.

Over the past couple of month at random times I would hear a weird noise coming from what sounded like the middle of the dashboard. It sound like "WHOOOOP" (best way I can describe it) and it would sometimes last a split second or a few seconds. I haven't heard it in about a week or so but my AC was still working fine while this was happening.

I really do not want to pay $2k+ to get this blend door fixed and I would much rather do it myself.

Before I start taking out the front seat, is there any way to specifically diagnose the issue as the broken blend door? I would hate to get in there and see it perfectly intact.

Edit: I should mention too that I only have 83k miles on my 2011, if that makes any difference.
Just did this for my 1LE. Easiest way to tell was that A/C was blowing cold on the passenger side, and hot on the drivers side. You can really tell if this is happening by closing the driver vents to determine it. Once that was happening, I got under the dash and pulled the actuator motor. As soon as that came off, you can hear a piece fall inside, then the blend door just sits there. And a piece came out with the actuator. I obviously knew at that point that it was that. Mileage doesn’t matter, 1LE is a 2015 with 32k on it
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:10 AM   #6
choffhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
You say the heater works fine, so does the temp get warmer when you turn the dial to max heat and get less warm when you turn it back? If so then the blend door is moving/working.
A way to test if a/c is good is when the windshield is foggy set it to defrost with snowflake on and circulation off, temp at any warm setting, if windshield clears then a/c is working.
hmm interesting. I thought that it would be possible that the blend door is stuck in the position to allow heat in. But yes, when I turn the actual heat temperature up, the air gets hotter like it should. Just no cold air.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:13 AM   #7
choffhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
Just did this for my 1LE. Easiest way to tell was that A/C was blowing cold on the passenger side, and hot on the drivers side. You can really tell if this is happening by closing the driver vents to determine it. Once that was happening, I got under the dash and pulled the actuator motor. As soon as that came off, you can hear a piece fall inside, then the blend door just sits there. And a piece came out with the actuator. I obviously knew at that point that it was that. Mileage doesn’t matter, 1LE is a 2015 with 32k on it
I tested yesterday and both sides had hot air coming out of it. I'll try closing off one side versus the other and see how that goes. Doesn't seem too bad to do with cutting the plastic off if I can determine that it is the blend door.