Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

AWE Tuning

Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #57
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
This "issue", if we're still calling it that...won't affect lap times around a track in the least.
Mr W,

Do you start out using 2nd gear when competing in Auto Cross too

I've NEVER seen anything like this in ANY Advertised HI-PO Car EVER.

(Not directed at Mr W)
Apparently, Dodge (Et Al) has a larger and more active set of Balls then the Legal Dept and Bean Counters at GM, (as the Dodge Demon SRT doesn't BOG). Point being; Although, The Demon is an Auto Trans Car. but it still puts a 9 sec Car on the Street TRUSTING OWNERS TO USE IT PROFESSIONALLY.

Just saying

Mr P/H = Calls 'em likes he see's 'em.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #58
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The demon, hellcat, and mustang all don’t carry a warranty at the track, unlike the camaro.

Tradeoffs.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #59
PinHead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The demon, hellcat, and mustang all don’t carry a warranty at the track, unlike the camaro.

Tradeoffs.
Gen6 Warranty coverage IS DISCRETIONARY at the subjective evaluation of GM. There have been several Gen6 Warranty claims denied.

Just read the boards.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #60
Gunkk

Been on these boards since June and I haven’t seen one post of a warranty claim denied on an unmodified stock car. <shrug> Seen a couple borderline BS dealer denials but those all were modded cars.

All the while dozens of reports of kitties and stangs dropping shalfts left right and center...

Some might not like it, but Al’s team did a fair job of protecting the car from the driver... but I agree they were overzealous with the TM on the Z M6 ELSD cars.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #61
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Been on these boards since June and I haven’t seen one post of a warranty claim denied on an unmodified stock car. <shrug> Seen a couple borderline BS dealer denials but those all were modded cars.

All the while dozens of reports of kitties and stangs dropping shalfts left right and center...

Some might not like it, but Al’s team did a fair job of protecting the car from the driver... but I agree they were overzealous with the TM on the Z M6 ELSD cars.
I recall one instance since I started being active (July 17) about a memeber who was told his car was “flagged” for no warranty work as it was spotted at several track events.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #62
Gunkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
I recall one instance since I started being active (July 17) about a memeber who was told his car was “flagged” for no warranty work as it was spotted at several track events.
Yeah it was an uneducated service writer... and a bogus report from a chevy employee...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500587
Old 02-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #63
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Yeah it was an uneducated service writer... and a bogus report from a chevy employee...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500587
Right. Ended with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremaster View Post
So the plot thickens... I spoke briefly with the GM of the dealership who confirmed that someone from chevy saw the car on the race track and red flagged it because it was "heavily modified." The GM is cool and is ignoring the red flag bs. They have seen my car multiple times which is bone stock...

I think it must have been at Sears Point (Sonoma Raceway). I was instructing with NASA and running the car in Time Trial. The instructors were asked to run in the Time Trial group with a transponder. Time trial grids up according to fastest times. With the awesome performance of this car, I ended up near the front surrounded by race cars. I was a little nervous about my shiny new car getting roughed up but these were all good drivers.

So some schmuck from chevy sees a ZL1 on track and red flags for being heavily modified without even looking closely at the car?? WTF? I'm going to press the issue next week to find out who it was.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #64
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Official position being

Quote:
Good news for owners of sixth-gen Camaros: Tracking your car won’t void your warranty. According to an interview with Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser on the Motor Authority website, Chevrolet will honor the warranty of track-driven SS model Camaros and above (that means ZL1, 1LE, and the future Z/28 models) as long as the car remains 100-percent stock.

According to Oppenheiser, “If you’re not modifying your car and you take your production car to a track day and you have an issue with one of your parts, it’s covered under warranty. We know when somebody changes their ECM calibration, and we know if they changed to a cold-air intake, we can tell all that. But driving it as you break it in from the dealership, if you have a half-shaft or whatever, it’s covered.” Remember, this is coming from the same guy who told us during a track drive for the 2014 Camaro Z/28that the primary motivation of his team was “to beat the shit out of anything Ford puts on the road,” so he’s definitely passionate about his work.

We called GM for confirmation of his statements and to ask just how far that coverage extends. After some slight delays, Chevrolet basically confirmed his comments, with a few specific clarifications.

First and foremost, “track day” means exactly that. According to Chevrolet, ‘”If you enter your car in a race or any type of competition event, that constitutes racing, and then it becomes an entirely different matter.” Furthermore, “Initial break-in procedures should be complete, and that includes brake burnishing.” The warranty covers the entire powertrain, and the maker confirmed that it includes the SS, ZL1, and 1LE with both V-6 and V-8 engines. We assume it will include the upcoming new Z/28.
https://blog.caranddriver.com/why-ye...o-ss-grenaded/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #65
PinHead
Banned

If you Guys think GM's going to cover you, I have some Water-Front Property in Florida I'd like to sell ya.

Here's just ONE of MANY VALID New Camaro Warranty claims that were DENIED by GM;

Quote:
The vehicle has been in the repair shop on 12 separate occasions for a cumulative total of 125 days due to the water leaks in the Camaro because of a defective convertible top design.https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20150317b41
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #66
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
If you Guys think GM's going to cover you, I have some Water-Front Property in Florida I'd like to sell ya.

Here's just ONE of MANY VALID New Camaro Warranty claims that were DENIED by GM;
If you don't modify your car - they will stand behind the track warranty. That suit has nothing to do with this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
Mr W,

Do you start out using 2nd gear when competing in Auto Cross too

I've NEVER seen anything like this in ANY Advertised HI-PO Car EVER.
Well...now you have.

And no, I don't start in second...you're also typically allowed a rolling launch into the start gate, and IF this issue stutters the car (which it never did for me, at least not that I noticed...probably because it's not a prepped surface.), it won't again for the entire rest of the course...a long 30-50 seconds or more of turns and technical driving demands that have nothing to do with the launch.

A road course is even less of an issue...so I maintain - this may only affect anyone wishing to drag race their M6 ZL1.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #67
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
If you don't modify your car - they will stand behind the track warranty. That suit has nothing to do with this situation.

Well...now you have.

And no, I don't start in second...you're also typically allowed a rolling launch into the start gate, and IF this issue stutters the car (which it never did for me, at least not that I noticed...probably because it's not a prepped surface.), it won't again for the entire rest of the course...a long 30-50 seconds or more of turns and technical driving demands that have nothing to do with the launch.

A road course is even less of an issue...so I maintain - this may only affect anyone wishing to drag race their M6 ZL1.
I'm curios Mr. Wyndham...
Yours is a 2018. Have you tried the 0-60 timer?
If not, give it a shot using the PDR. Would love to see if you bog and you get better than a 3.9
-Bobby
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #68
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I'm curios Mr. Wyndham...
Yours is a 2018. Have you tried the 0-60 timer?
If not, give it a shot using the PDR. Would love to see if you bog and you get better than a 3.9
-Bobby
No, I haven't...never really thought about it/wanted to.

And for the next couple of months...the car is "sleeping", so it'll be a while...but I will. At no point have I denied that there is difficulty launching...you all have made that abundantly clear. I just thought the comments about a hill climb and autocross were silly.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #69
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
No, I haven't...never really thought about it/wanted to.

And for the next couple of months...the car is "sleeping", so it'll be a while...but I will. At no point have I denied that there is difficulty launching...you all have made that abundantly clear. I just thought the comments about a hill climb and autocross were silly.
Make sure you check on the sleeping car DAILY!! Rained here for 5 days and a RAT used my car as shelter!!

-Bobby
Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #70
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Make sure you check on the sleeping car DAILY!! Rained here for 5 days and a RAT used my car as shelter!!

-Bobby
Sound advice - I have been, and will continue to!