Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 12-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
[ASKED] Explanation of Launch Control

Hey Al,

Can you talk to us about the details of launch control and share any tips for effectively launching the 6th Gen ZL1 with a manual transmission?

For those of us with a custom launch control configuration, we can choose a slip target between 5% and 15%. When the car first begins to launch the front wheel-speed is near zero, so any slip of the rear tires will exceed the 15%. How was the car designed to react in this scenario? If there is some mechanism to conditionally apply the slip target as the car begins to move, can you share the details of this mechanism? Are there any factors, such as tire wear, wheel-speed sensor accuracy, sensor latency, etc. that may significantly impact the wheel slip % calculation at very low speeds?

What effect does each PTM Mode/Surface Type configuration have on the launch control?

With high-traction surfaces many owners have experienced what’s being described as “bogging” while launching. Can you help us to better understand how the torque management systems are applied during launch to reduce as well as reintroduce power (assuming wheel-slip/traction is not an issue)?

Can you share with us how the advertised quarter-mile times are determined? According to our “Official 6th Gen 1/4 Mile V8 Fast List”, only one member has been able to achieve the advertised 11.8 second quarter-mile time for the ’17 ZL1 M6 coupe, but many members have far exceeded the 11.4 advertised for the ’17 ZL1 A10 coupe.

Thanks again to you and your team for taking the time to answer our questions.

Sincerely,

The Camaro6 Community

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)

Last edited by travislambert; 12-23-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
travislambert

I'm open to tweaking the wording as needed. If you have suggestions, feel free to PM me.

If this topic is of interest to you, please post to show your support!

Thanks,

Travis
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'm not sure we should highlight the problems like not meeting 11.4 or bogging issues, but more finding out where TM and TC is applied and how much and his view of what's best in certain situations. By far the biggest subject out there even without any problems.

I think the best angle is... there is a learning curve (to be expected) and we would like to know exactly what each of the settings do. I'm thinking we could get some good stuff out of this one to help a lot of folks.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
6spdzl1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
+1
Black Rose Mettalic (Wife's)
Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
travislambert

Any suggestions for tweaking the wording of:
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Can you share with us how the advertised quarter-mile times are determined? According to our “Official 6th Gen 1/4 Mile V8 Fast List”, only one member has been able to achieve the advertised 11.8 second quarter-mile time for the ’17 ZL1 M6 coupe, but many members have far exceeded the 11.4 advertised for the ’17 ZL1 A10 coupe.
Part of me feels like it's important to point out that M6 ZL1 guys are struggling to even get close to the advertised 1/4 mile time, while some A10 guys are beating their car's advertised time by 4/10ths or more. It's a clear indication of a problem that seems noteworthy.

I tried to keep it factual, but maybe there's a nicer way to say it?

Last edited by travislambert; 12-10-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'm not sure we should highlight the problems like not meeting 11.4 or bogging issues, but more finding out where TM and TC is applied and how much and his view of what's best in certain situations. By far the biggest subject out there even without any problems.

I think the best angle is... there is a learning curve (to be expected) and we would like to know exactly what each of the settings do. I'm thinking we could get some good stuff out of this one to help a lot of folks.
I don't think the term "problem" was ever mentioned. This seems like an interesting approach to finding out how the GM team was able to achieve their quarter mile time. Much like the question about the various settings and configurations used to obtain the 'Ring time, up for voting right now in Poll #2.

In my opinion, referring to it as a problem would be unfair, just like referring to someone bouncing off of the rev limiter because they didn't engage NLS correctly wouldn't be a problem. The way I read the OPs post is we're engaging in a discussion and walkthrough similar to what was provided for NLS - combined with what the team knows will work to obtain an 11.8

I'm not sure a "chart" as I've seen it referenced would accomplish the same.

Here's a +1 for my support!

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Interesting topic. I'd vote for this.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
Old 12-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'm not sure we should highlight the problems like not meeting 11.4 or bogging issues...
I feel like an explanation for the "bogging" is really what most people are looking for an answer to. I didn't refer to it as a "problem" or "issue", just using the word "bogging" to describe the behavior that we'd like explained. IMO, I don't see that as contentious in any way.

I understand your point on the part about members struggling to meet the advertised 1/4 mile time for the M6. This wasn't meant to be a jab at the Camaro team, but I could see how they might take it that way. Can you suggest another way that we can tell them that after a year of ZL1s in the wild we have only had one forum member meet their advertised time for the M6 (and he did it by double-clutching on launch to fool the computer)? This is probably the best evidence we have that people are struggling to get the M6 ZL1 to launch. It really highlights the importance of this topic, so I'd hate to leave it out completely.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
DRGNZ

Drives: Order List for ZL1
Please resolve this issue Al!
Old 12-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #10
whollins

Drives: Camaro
you have my vote here. It's a real issue and is not being addressed.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #11
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Count me in.

Perhaps simply asking Team Camaro for their recommended procedure that will allow us to enable an existing setting and/or condition to reduce bog on launch. Is there anything that we can do behind the wheel to reduce excessive TQ management, that still enables us to put real power down on launch?

It is understandable that Chevy legal is concerned that an inexperienced driver may create a scenario that may potentially damage or compromise the longevity of the powertrain. I personally am a big fan of warranties. I completely understand that there may be concerns about warranty claims that may be a result of insufficient TQ management.

However the ZL1 is a high performance car. Bog on launch seems to negate an aspect of that, and in some cases our ability to compete. Are those of us who are mature, experienced and capable enough to manage the power of this car being restricted by the weakest links in the chain? Perhaps so. I would hope that some middle ground might be found to keep Team Camaro, her legions of performance enthusiasts (both experienced and inexperienced) and GM legal happy.

Is (or has) a flash to modify existing TQ management algorithms being considered to address launch bog? I don't believe that we are looking for Chevy to compromise any trade secrets. Is there anything that we can do to keep the interaction between the ECM, the ELSD and the LT4 from becoming excessively restrictive on launch, while still protecting the integrity of our powertrains and (realistically) in some cases our lives and precious property?

With that said, what Chevrolet, Al and Team Camaro have created in the 6th gen ZL1 on the Alpha platform is nothing shy of spectacular. I am proud, grateful and excited to be part of this community.

Sorry for the rant. Some of my concerns have most likely been posted.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
SICK ZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 10 speed
Got my vote.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #13
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
I don't have a preference to what you call it, I just don't want may 2017 Camaro ZL1 to fall flat on its face when I accelerate from a stop. I don't race it at the track, so 1/4 mile times are not important to me. What is important to me, is that my car perform like a car that has 650hp, not 250hp.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #14
TxZL1

Drives: 2017 TRD 4runner, 2018 SW ZL1 M6
My vote, +1

Closed Thread