#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
First post. Have a couple questions ZL1 related

There is a good chance I am going to be putting in an order for a new ZL1.
I’m concerned about the difference in the ride quality between the magnetic and the 1LE. Is the 1LE that harsh like has anybody driven both and can make a qualified judgement?
Also, will the 1LE wing and dive planes bolt up to the stock regular ZL1 without mods or are there other different body components like say the splitter or front grille?
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
There is a good chance I am going to be putting in an order for a new ZL1.
I’m concerned about the difference in the ride quality between the magnetic and the 1LE. Is the 1LE that harsh like has anybody driven both and can make a qualified judgement?
Also, will the 1LE wing and dive planes bolt up to the stock regular ZL1 without mods or are there other different body components like say the splitter or front grille?
The ride difference is pretty drastic. That's all I'll say on that subject. If you plan on driving regularly or don't see the track, I honestly would go for an A10 ZL1. (And I'm the guy who usually chooses manual over auto and hardcore over luxury all day everyday).

The 1LE wing bolts on.

The front has more parts that are necessary. You need the whole grille, splitter, canards etc. Lots of threads on the conversion process.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Agreed..big difference. Like i wouldn’t set a full drink in my cup holder kind of difference. Sometimes i bounce so hard my seatbelt locks, but i love this car
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The ride difference is pretty drastic. That's all I'll say on that subject. If you plan on driving regularly or don't see the track, I honestly would go for an A10 ZL1. (And I'm the guy who usually chooses manual over auto and hardcore over luxury all day everyday).

The 1LE wing bolts on.

The front has more parts that are necessary. You need the whole grille, splitter, canards etc. Lots of threads on the conversion process.
Do you miss the manual over the A10?
That’s another thing I’m in a toss up over. I don’t see anyone really launching the M6 very well. No offense to anybody but from what I’ve read there is a built in bog I guess.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:52 AM   #5
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I had a 1SS 1LE and with the mag ride it rode good. Then I got a ZL1 1LE. Its definitely stiffer than the mag ride. I would get sick of it as a DD. But it's my track car. So I dont care. I am also a manual guy and there isn't a chance I would get an A 10. To each thier own.

The stiff ride of the ZLE is subjective. If I was 20 years younger I would not care. But as far as performance stock to stock the 1LE is a step above the regular ZL1 with the suspension upgrades. For the track atleast.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
If you have time to put in an order then the right dealer has time for test drives. Only YOU can answer this question. I put 36K miles on a 13 ZL1, about 35K Miles on a 15 Z/28, and now currently at 19K miles on my ZL1 1LE. I have no issues with the ride, even my wife drops off kids to school in it. Only you can answer the question.

Everything else is opinion, read on a message board or magazine.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Everybody has their own tolerance level. I totally agree that you should drive each to make your own call. This site is full of opinions on this very topic, try doing a search as well. Also how you plan to use your Camaro will make a difference. Daily driver, weekend nice weather cruiser, track star.. FWIW, the ZE is significantly more unforgiving than a ZL1 to me. I think the ZE is perfectly set up to serve its intended purpose, a track first car. That shows up on the street.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

I’m up in Canada so to test drive each one is near impossible. It’s really rare to see one. I’ll have to make a decision at some point. I prefer manual but that launch bog would bug me and I definitely wanna take it to both the drag strip and road course. Won’t be a DD that’s for sure.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I had a ss 1 le and I love manuals, but I wanted something consistent on takeoff and the A10 launches perfectly. It’s a lot of fun on the strip or the street.
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
Noreplacement

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I’m up in Canada so to test drive each one is near impossible. It’s really rare to see one. I’ll have to make a decision at some point. I prefer manual but that launch bog would bug me and I definitely wanna take it to both the drag strip and road course. Won’t be a DD that’s for sure.
Not one dealer that I approached from Toronto to Windsor would let me test drive the Zl1 or ZE. I suspect due to extreme lack of supply in Canada, limited to around 200+\- combined.
On personal experience with my '18 ZL1, the mag ride is adjustable from tour to track. Unless you are going to seriously track , the mag ride is terrific ( IMHO ).
Noreplacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
If the ZL1's are in short supply, try and test drive a slightly used one's for comparison.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I agree with the first response you got except for the A10 over the M6. I daily drive my 18 ZL1 and track it no more than 3 times a season.

But I love the M6. Would not even consider the A10 personally.

In my humble opinion, the tranny choice comes down to personal preference. The ride on the normal ZL1 is so much more comfortable than the 1LE version. But I still prefer the manual over the automatic.

My truck is an Auto, so my toy had to be a manual.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
By the way, putting it in competition mode before take off really lessens the bog.

You can also get a different throttle body or one of those pedal commander things to eliminate the bog as well.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

For the drag race aspect I would prefer the A10 for launches and consistency and in case I get caught in the terrible traffic that can happen around here.
For fun factor and road track I would want the manual. I also like the appearance of the ZLE and the 19 rims too. Pretty positive I would not complain about the rough ride. I also like the fact all the additional pieces on the body serve a purpose rather than fake show pieces. I drive enough rough riding heavy equipment that I might enjoy a go kart type fast ride.
This is a really tough call for me.