Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
HorsePowerAddicts

Drives: LSx Powered
ZL1 Whipple Supercharged: 820+WHP. HPA Build

2018 ZL1 A10 has the Whipple installed... going even further with a few other mods, this setup is beyond excellent!

Build Overview:

HPA LT Camshaft & Heads
HPA Low-side fuel system
ALKY Control Meth. Injection
ARH 2" headers
Rotofab Intake
103mm TB
ATI Overdrive Pulley

Whipple Package
HorsePowerAddicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Very nice! Looks great
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Ron_Robinson1

Drives: A Static line to a pack tray & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Ron_Robinson1
Nice build.
SOLD-2011 SS M6: Blower, Cam, Alky, LTs.
Ron_Robinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
HorsePowerAddicts

Thanks for looking... more builds coming up!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
6ChevDev

Drives: The Zs
Nice build. This ZL1 should be E85 capable just in case. So much more power.
6ChevDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
HorsePowerAddicts

A lot of gains in the E... Owner did not want E though. Solid setup with or without being flex fuel capable.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Has anyone installed a whipple and their tune only - no other mods? What were the gains?
SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SienarSystems View Post
Has anyone installed a whipple and their tune only - no other mods? What were the gains?
The Whipple as a standalone can max out the stock fuel system and cause lean issues in cold temperatures, which is why you see most people running an upgraded cam with it.
staples87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by SienarSystems View Post
You'd need other mods to support it, namely fueling and likely Headers. Furthermore, the Whipple's efficiency range is at a significantly "turned up" level in supercharger RPM. Run at levels where the stock fuel system/setup could support it will lead to little to no gain in power. Spinning it into serious gain territory is going to require injectors and something like Katech's Xtreme DI belt driven pump or similar. Plus, you'll smoke the cats really fast running any kind of power through them which can be catastrophic for many reasons, long story short, you'll at a minimum need Intake/Fueling/Whipple/Headers in which case, I'd expect maybe a 100 HP gain over stock or less. I don't think it's worth it for the money spent on the Whipple vs pulley/porting the stock blower in similar fashion. The old design of the Whipple isn't very efficient, I'd keep waiting until 2650 results come in.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Interesting take.

Unless extreme budget is an issue I would recommend a Whipple/Maggie over a lt4 all day both for longterm HP capacity and better cooling/IAT’s right off the bat. The LT4 fuel system with a modified low side has proven capable of 1000+ whp on gasoline.... no need for a fancy belt driven fueling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
You'd need other mods to support it, namely fueling and likely Headers. Furthermore, the Whipple's efficiency range is at a significantly "turned up" level in supercharger RPM. Run at levels where the stock fuel system/setup could support it will lead to little to no gain in power. Spinning it into serious gain territory is going to require injectors and something like Katech's Xtreme DI belt driven pump or similar. Plus, you'll smoke the cats really fast running any kind of power through them which can be catastrophic for many reasons, long story short, you'll at a minimum need Intake/Fueling/Whipple/Headers in which case, I'd expect maybe a 100 HP gain over stock or less. I don't think it's worth it for the money spent on the Whipple vs pulley/porting the stock blower in similar fashion. The old design of the Whipple isn't very efficient, I'd keep waiting until 2650 results come in.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
Interesting take.

Unless extreme budget is an issue I would recommend a Whipple/Maggie over a lt4 all day both for longterm HP capacity and better cooling/IAT’s right off the bat. The LT4 fuel system with a modified low side has proven capable of 1000+ whp on gasoline.... no need for a fancy belt driven fueling.
On a SS LT1, sure, do not waste the money on a 1.7L, if that's what you're saying...On the LT4, a bolt on/ported LT4 and a bolted on Whipple + Fuel are right next to each other, with maybe the Whipple getting another 20 HP at max and mind if we're talking costs here, you spent $6000-$6500 for a Whipple kit and some more for fuel. I have not seen any 700+ RWHP bolt on Whipple's yet, which doesn't mean it's not possible because it may be spun harder with some fuel. I've only seen 850+ RWHP Whipple's with E/Meth/Heads/Cam/Fuel/Overdrive pulleys. All in all, the Whipple is certainly an option and it does add capability especially on the higher end of the HP spectrum, but it isn't blowing the LT4 out of the water at bolt on and go levels.

What you say is exactly what everybody that I saw thought would happen by running the Whipple, and that is less heat and better temps whilst making 100+ more HP but that wasn't the case. Turned out they made minimal more power whilst maintaining similar temps and once it was spun to the point of adding that 100+ more HP and the fueling mods were done, you were right back where you started on cooling with possibly a minimal advantage here again.

As for the fueling, I'm pretty sure you'll need more than just a low-side to support that kind of power, for sure at least an overdrive fuel lobe, but that is an aspect of the LT4 I've yet to study thoroughly...

My post was a bit vague on some of the language, hopefully some others can read through it. I maybe can better summarize it with a HP scale:

650 RWHP - Bolt on LT4. 700 RWHP - Bolt on/ported and/or cam LT4. 750 RWHP bolt on/cam/ported. 800 RWHP - Whipple/Cam. 850 - Whipple Cam/Heads. 900 RWHP - Whipple Cam/Heads/Meth/E. 950 RWHP - Maxed Whipple/Cam/Heads/E/Meth. 1000+ RWHP - ProCharger.

I think if you are planning on bolting on an Intake/Whipple/Headers/Fuel setup, you might as well just stick with the stock blower and get it ported. I don't think the advantages are there for the Whipple at those levels.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
One thing thats confusing is air is air and fuel is fuel....an LT4 blower is going to need the same "fuel" as you refer to it as a Whipple/Maggie etc. The difference is the LT4 will have to be spun harder to achieve it.

Most tuners would definitely give you the data that the average IAT's are much lower with a Whipple/Magnuson especially as you spin things higher. I don't want to see single pull dyno runs either. Talking about real life driving, running through the gears in real world conditions, etc.

R.P.M. made 770whp on a Whipple, stock heads, stock cam, and meth. I guess at the end of the day if you are staying 650whp or under just keep the LT4 blower. The biggest decision for anyone with a Gen 6 Camaro is do I want to commit to the point of doing a cam or not. To me that's the ultimate pivot point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
On a SS LT1, sure, do not waste the money on a 1.7L, if that's what you're saying...On the LT4, a bolt on/ported LT4 and a bolted on Whipple + Fuel are right next to each other, with maybe the Whipple getting another 20 HP at max and mind if we're talking costs here, you spent $6000-$6500 for a Whipple kit and some more for fuel. I have not seen any 700+ RWHP bolt on Whipple's yet, which doesn't mean it's not possible because it may be spun harder with some fuel. I've only seen 850+ RWHP Whipple's with E/Meth/Heads/Cam/Fuel/Overdrive pulleys. All in all, the Whipple is certainly an option and it does add capability especially on the higher end of the HP spectrum, but it isn't blowing the LT4 out of the water at bolt on and go levels.

What you say is exactly what everybody that I saw thought would happen by running the Whipple, and that is less heat and better temps whilst making 100+ more HP but that wasn't the case. Turned out they made minimal more power whilst maintaining similar temps and once it was spun to the point of adding that 100+ more HP and the fueling mods were done, you were right back where you started on cooling with possibly a minimal advantage here again.

As for the fueling, I'm pretty sure you'll need more than just a low-side to support that kind of power, for sure at least an overdrive fuel lobe, but that is an aspect of the LT4 I've yet to study thoroughly...

My post was a bit vague on some of the language, hopefully some others can read through it. I maybe can better summarize it with a HP scale:

650 RWHP - Bolt on LT4. 700 RWHP - Bolt on/ported and/or cam LT4. 750 RWHP bolt on/cam/ported. 800 RWHP - Whipple/Cam. 850 - Whipple Cam/Heads. 900 RWHP - Whipple Cam/Heads/Meth/E. 950 RWHP - Maxed Whipple/Cam/Heads/E/Meth. 1000+ RWHP - ProCharger.

I think if you are planning on bolting on an Intake/Whipple/Headers/Fuel setup, you might as well just stick with the stock blower and get it ported. I don't think the advantages are there for the Whipple at those levels.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
One thing thats confusing is air is air and fuel is fuel....an LT4 blower is going to need the same "fuel" as you refer to it as a Whipple/Maggie etc. The difference is the LT4 will have to be spun harder to achieve it.

Most tuners would definitely give you the data that the average IAT's are much lower with a Whipple/Magnuson especially as you spin things higher. I don't want to see single pull dyno runs either. Talking about real life driving, running through the gears in real world conditions, etc.

R.P.M. made 770whp on a Whipple, stock heads, stock cam, and meth. I guess at the end of the day if you are staying 650whp or under just keep the LT4 blower. The biggest decision for anyone with a Gen 6 Camaro is do I want to commit to the point of doing a cam or not. To me that's the ultimate pivot point.
Was unaware of that build. I haven't seen it tried like that until now.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #14
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Thank you all for the insight...apologies to HPA for the hijack...my questions are not so much budget related as they are CARB concerned. Headers, fuel, custom tune, ported heads are not an option for me...hence the whipple and their canned tune question.
SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote