Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #15
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I would make sure the correct ULV fluid was used for the 10 spd and not something like HP or Dexron 6 that was deemed "good enough". The fluid level is very sensitive so I would make sure the level is correct which is a weird procedure using the mini plug on the pan. The tranny has to be at the correct temp etc etc. I will post the YouTube from Weber for clarification.

'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #16
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I would make sure the correct ULV fluid was used for the 10 spd and not something like HP or Dexron 6 that was deemed "good enough". The fluid level is very sensitive so I would make sure the level is correct which is a weird procedure using the mini plug on the pan. The tranny has to be at the correct temp etc etc. I will post the YouTube from Weber for clarification.

I hear ya. We went with OEM fluid so. We'll see. If I have to, I'm gonna have LMR just go through my car and retune it. Fereday built my Z06 so. I'm sure he can get it running again how it should.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
kttxz06

well, looks like we are going to pull the trans out and take a dive on the inside to see what has gone wrong. Will be interesting to see.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
well, looks like we are going to pull the trans out and take a dive on the inside to see what has gone wrong. Will be interesting to see.
I should be up there again later this week. I did see your Weld wheel and tire the other day.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I should be up there again later this week. I did see your Weld wheel and tire the other day.

Yea, I'll prob be selling those btw. I think I'm done with the track dude. Matt sent me the video of the 1st run. It's obvious the trans was going out on that first hit. You can hear the 5th and 6th gears rev out. But, Matt said he didn't see anything in the logs so. Whatever.

I'm going to get it fixed, keep the tune on kill and just go back to roll racing.

Gonna put DR's back on my 20" wheels and just stay at that setup.

So, once we get word on the trans, I'll be putting those Welds up for sale.

Boyd drove it. He thinks it's clutch pack and TC are out. Sorian thinks it might just be the TC. Either way, we'll find out hopefully next week if I can get this thing to the shop. It's literally undriveable and it's sad to see it just sitting all broken down. haha
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Rolls are wher it's at anyway ��. Good luck on ur trans build
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #21
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
So you’ve been driving it at this power level without doing any transmission tuning? And what calibration was in the ‘unlocked’ TCM from HPT? Just curious.

I’m not an expert on GM trans tuning; but from my experience tuning the LT4, torque limits become a big issue when adding power. At that point, you should really go into the TCM and make the necessary changes. Some tuners will tweak the torque coefficients (the tables the ECM uses to calculate engine torque), but this results in incorrect data that then gets sent to the TCM. Maybe I’m missing something, but with the stock trans tune, your ECM would have to be massively under-reporting torque. This is going to throw off line pressure and probably a bunch of other stuff. I’m thinking something got smoked inside the transmission because of this.

Just my thoughts. I could be totally wrong.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #22
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
So you’ve been driving it at this power level without doing any transmission tuning? And what calibration was in the ‘unlocked’ TCM from HPT? Just curious.

I’m not an expert on GM trans tuning; but from my experience tuning the LT4, torque limits become a big issue when adding power. At that point, you should really go into the TCM and make the necessary changes. Some tuners will tweak the torque coefficients (the tables the ECM uses to calculate engine torque), but this results in incorrect data that then gets sent to the TCM. Maybe I’m missing something, but with the stock trans tune, your ECM would have to be massively under-reporting torque. This is going to throw off line pressure and probably a bunch of other stuff. I’m thinking something got smoked inside the transmission because of this.

Just my thoughts. I could be totally wrong.

I didn't have any issues with the trans until we put in the unlocked TCM from HP Tuners. And I'm with you, who knows what the issue is. Trans will need to be dropped and opened up to see. Who knows. Maybe it's just a tuning issue, but it's trashed. Just sitting in my garage right now. haha.

All I know is this. The night of the HP Tuner TCM swap, we did a few dyno hits. Seemed fined. We got a 1199 out of it with wheel slip. I drove it home it ran like a scalded dog. Went to the track the next day, I wasn't driving it, but now that I have video it's obvious it was revving out. Went home, drove it back to the shop the next day and bang bang bang, every gear. Now, it can barely limp around the neighborhood so. It's fked. Whatever it is.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #23
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
I didn't have any issues with the trans until we put in the unlocked TCM from HP Tuners. And I'm with you, who knows what the issue is. Trans will need to be dropped and opened up to see. Who knows. Maybe it's just a tuning issue, but it's trashed. Just sitting in my garage right now. haha.

All I know is this. The night of the HP Tuner TCM swap, we did a few dyno hits. Seemed fined. We got a 1199 out of it with wheel slip. I drove it home it ran like a scalded dog. Went to the track the next day, I wasn't driving it, but now that I have video it's obvious it was revving out. Went home, drove it back to the shop the next day and bang bang bang, every gear. Now, it can barely limp around the neighborhood so. It's fked. Whatever it is.
That’s pretty shitty. I do think something mechanical is going on.

Personally, I’d think you’d be on borrowed time at 1100 whp and stock TCM calibration. You were putting down a lot more torque than the transmission was being told. I think the stock limit is in the 700 lb/ft range. And that’s crank torque. So who knows if this was just when it let go, or whether it was caused by that other TCM.

Either way, I’d want my torque coefficients accurate and the TCM to be seeing what the engine is really making. I have a turbo BMW (making almost double the stock torque) where I could actually feel the converter clutch slipping under full power because of this. Getting the correct torque reported to the TCM cleared it up.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #24
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
That’s pretty shitty. I do think something mechanical is going on.

Personally, I’d think you’d be on borrowed time at 1100 whp and stock TCM calibration. You were putting down a lot more torque than the transmission was being told. I think the stock limit is in the 700 lb/ft range. And that’s crank torque. So who knows if this was just when it let go, or whether it was caused by that other TCM.

Either way, I’d want my torque coefficients accurate and the TCM to be seeing what the engine is really making. I have a turbo BMW (making almost double the stock torque) where I could actually feel the converter clutch slipping under full power because of this. Getting the correct torque reported to the TCM cleared it up.

I'm with ya. It goes to the dealer on Saturday so prob gonna be down a month or two. Oh well.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #25
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Tell'em it's stock other than a CAI
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #26
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliveguy5 View Post
Tell'em it's stock other than a CAI
Yeah it's just an intake and the larger alternator for the frigid cold starts in Texas.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #27
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
I'm with ya. It goes to the dealer on Saturday so prob gonna be down a month or two. Oh well.
YA know...ever since you started this 1k plus HP deal, I was thinking about how the tranny & rest of the drivetrain was gonna keep up. Pardon the ignorance, but What exactly is the dealer going to do in regards to the tranny with such a monster build??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #28
cann1x

Drives: 17 black 6m < 18 garnett a10
I had the same issue. I don't have the same power as you, but i'm 800 wheel. Car had head-jerking shifts and slammed all gears, including manual downshifts. My cousin at the dealer - did a fluid change and a transmission shift relearn via dealer software; completely fixed the issue. Scary to watch; the brake was held down and the transmission engaged and disengaged gears and lunged forward (in drive) intermittently while the relearn is active. I also want to note that the transmission relearn will not mess with the current torque management setting and shift point rpm, as those they can not touch. He said the car sometimes learns bad shift behaviors and ramps up line pressure. I suggest the cheaper alternative first including above, and double checking you are using the correct fluid and making sure the trans is not overfilled or under. happened to me at 1700 miles.

Edit: my buddy with 1040whp had the same issue in 2nd and 3rd and the above method worked for him as well.

Last edited by cann1x; 12-06-2018 at 07:23 PM.
cann1x is offline   Reply With Quote