Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Do this was an interesting discovery 😕

So, as some of you have seen, yesterday I swapped out my OEM 2017 SS 1LE wheels and tires (as mounted at the factory), and, to my surprise, discovered that since taking delivery of the vehicle back in March 2017, I have been driving around with one front tire mounted backward. The "INSIDE" of this asymmetrical tire was facing outside while the other front tire (see pictures of both fronts) and was mounted correctly. Both tears were correct. Now, I'm pretty knowledgeable about this sort of thing and tire types (asymmetrical, directional, all-season, summer-only, etc), so I feel a little frustrated with myself that I only just noticed this after 8 months and nearly 9,000 miles. So, the lesson here is never assume anything, check everything. On the bright side, I never noticed any performance deficit.
Attached Images

HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
So these tires have a right and left side?
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
8 months@ 9k miles assuming you don't wash/detail your own car. the tread is pretty visible on a Camaro

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
HYPER1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch98 View Post
So these tires have a right and left side?
Yes, they're asymmetrical in their tread design. Wider tread blocks on the outside edge for dry cornering grip and narrower blocks on the inside edge for wet performance.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
HYPER1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
8 months@ 9k miles assuming you don't wash/detail your own car. the tread is pretty visible on a Camaro

I know. I know. And only I have been washing and detailing it. Like I said, I'm a bit frustrated with myself that this escaped my attention to detail. I inspect for this, and have caught this mistake in the past, with other cars I have owned when getting tires changed. But, this is my first experience actually finding this error from the factory.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Lerch98

This explains my traction problem.
Its hard to keep the tires from wheel spinning under hard acceleration and when biting second and third gear. Lots of wheel spin and the back end all over the place. At first I thought the clutch went out, but then the back end slid around.

What happened was I took the car in to the dealership for free oil change (Yes 10 qts) and they said they rotated the the tires too. WTF, with 2200 miles I didn't want them to do it, but they did. I said the car has big a littles (different sizes front and back) and the service writter Dude said it was a side to side rotate.

And the car doesn't corner as well as it should. I was wondering if they ####ed it up, or if I was tripping or these tires were like big wheel tires in temperatures below 40F.

Thanks for the post. I was wondering, and now I know.
I'll change the tires back.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Actually, in dry, you don't get much performance difference having them mounted wrong. It is in the wet that you have to worry about it. Water is not funneled away correctly on the mismounted tire.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
Its hard to keep the tires from wheel spinning under hard acceleration and when biting second and third gear. Lots of wheel spin and the back end all over the place. At first I thought the clutch went out, but then the back end slid around.

What happened was I took the car in to the dealership for free oil change (Yes 10 qts) and they said they rotated the the tires too. WTF, with 2200 miles I didn't want them to do it, but they did. I said the car has big a littles (different sizes front and back) and the service writter Dude said it was a side to side rotate.

And the car doesn't corner as well as it should. I was wondering if they ####ed it up, or if I was tripping or these tires were like big wheel tires in temperatures below 40F.

Umm, I'm not great with science or math - BUT - if they just moved them side to side.. then the outsides are still outsides. Yes?
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
Lerch98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
Umm, I'm not great with science or math - BUT - if they just moved them side to side.. then the outsides are still outsides. Yes?

Yah, I got to check that out.
Aren't the tread blocks canted?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
HYPER1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
Yes. You are correct. Only can do side to side same axle (asymmetric only; directional nope, unless dismount/remount and only if symmetric) if with staggered-size tire widths. I believe the I4's wheel/tire size is the same all around (non-RS models) and perhaps V6 non-RS models.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:

This won’t have any affect on your dry traction if you swap them side to side
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #12
GA Camaro 2SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Checking mine in the morning. Thanks for pointing it out !!!
GA Camaro 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Funny you posted this because I just notice mine last week. Front wheel is mounted inside out. Purchased April 2016...LOL
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #14
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Probably explains why your car was handling so terribly.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 1ss, mounting, tire, zl1