Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
2015 LFX. best mods for engine sound

I just got this Bright Yellow, 2LS, without the sport exhaust. I have done nothing to this perfect 2k mile beauty. I love everything about it but the engine sound. I know it is a V6, but there must be some good, DIY and low cost parts to swap to get a deeper and louder exhaust note.
I have read through all of Yzark99's excellent thread, but even he notes that hearing the mp3's of different exhaust\intake parts he compares is not as good as hearing in person.

so for sound as being at the top of my list, what has proven to be the best bang for your buck?

thanks!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
If you really want to hear the engine get yourself an aftermarket cold air intake - really lets the engine breathe and damn does it sound awesome when you step on it! I have K&N's Typhoon but I think most if not all of the aftermarket intakes will get you the same kind of sound.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
I think that most people will say a Cold Air Inductions intake and an 80mm throttle body will give you the most bang for engine tone.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
I think that most people will say a Cold Air Inductions intake and an 80mm throttle body will give you the most bang for engine tone.
Then resonated x-pipe and mufflers of your choice.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
I'm been running CAI brand cold air intake and just recently Magna Flow straight through exhaust. Here is a recent clip where you can hear it wide open from inside the cabin with windows down. No drone with the windows down and so little with the windows up that it doesn't bother me, not like another brand did. Get out some good earbuds or headphones for the best listening experience.

*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #6
Jazzzed

Well I'm going to ammend my statement from earlier today. I installed my 80mm throttle body today, and the sound was waaaaayyyyyy better with the stock throttle body and the CAI intake. I mean, its not even close. I had a mean and throaty sound before. Now i have a sewing machine again.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I have a 2013 with the LFX. The first mod I did was a K&N cold air intake. I was impressed at the increase pickup and sound I got just from it. There was one guy's truck at work that I could set off just from the CAI, granted I am sure his alarm was over sensitive but still to set it off with just an intake is impressive.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:11 AM   #8
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Well I'm going to ammend my statement from earlier today. I installed my 80mm throttle body today, and the sound was waaaaayyyyyy better with the stock throttle body and the CAI intake. I mean, its not even close. I had a mean and throaty sound before. Now i have a sewing machine again.
Really? I think you have that backwards?
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #9
Jazzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Really? I think you have that backwards?
Unfortunately no. My CAI has a 3.5 inch pipe, which used to couple down to the smaller 3 inch opening on the stock throttle body. I think that turbulence is what gave it the great tone. Now that I have a 3.5 inch pipe going into a 3.5 inch throttle body, there is much less resistance, and it is now very quiet. All I hear is the ticking of the engine. The overall tone is still there, but it is barely noticeable unless I get on it.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #10
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
What CAI do you have, Jazzzed? Is it 3.5" all the way except for at the MAF sensor I guess?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #11
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Silent.. It is not! Wow that sounds great! See that was my first instinct as well to get the CAI on it quick. I put the K&N CAI on my '08 Silverado 5.3L and it was a huge difference! Just wasn't sure about the V6.

thanks for the input everyone!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Jazzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
What CAI do you have, Jazzzed? Is it 3.5" all the way except for at the MAF sensor I guess?
I have the Cold Air Inductions, and it is a 3.5 inch diameter the whole way from the air filter to the throttle body when you're using an 80mm.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
Silent.. It is not! Wow that sounds great! See that was my first instinct as well to get the CAI on it quick. I put the K&N CAI on my '08 Silverado 5.3L and it was a huge difference! Just wasn't sure about the V6.

thanks for the input everyone!
You are welcome!
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels; MRR M017 Graphite Wheels; Nitto NT555 G2; ACS 4Teen Heat Extractor
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MF Exhaust; VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB; Overkill Stage 1 Supercharger System; Hotchkis Comp Sway Bar Set w/ End Links, Cadillac CTSV 4 Piston Brembos on all corners with SS Black Hat Rotors

Youtube Channel - HPDE Driving Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpO...8aw6hgX3O1Uh7A
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
I'm been running CAI brand cold air intake and just recently Magna Flow straight through exhaust. Here is a recent clip where you can hear it wide open from inside the cabin with windows down. No drone with the windows down and so little with the windows up that it doesn't bother me, not like another brand did. Get out some good earbuds or headphones for the best listening experience.

Nice lap !

Tags
exhaust, intake, parts, sound