Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Yep...you can't just unplug the AFM. It will throw a CEL.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The NPP valves should not cause a CEL so I have a strong suspicion its the AFM valves you unplugged. EFI Tuning has a plug and play simple solution for you that will keep the ECM happy with the abscence of the AFM sensors.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Drives: '16 RS A8 Custom Exhaust CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
You can't just unplug the AFM sensors. That is why you have a check engine light. Why would you think it was OK to just unplug them?
I didn't unplug the AFM sensors. My AFM still works just fine. I unplugged the valves that were attached to the pipes themselves that control those flapper valves on the NPP exhaust. There are four of them after the cats and resonator.
SamMoranPranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
The NPP valves should not cause a CEL so I have a strong suspicion its the AFM valves you unplugged. EFI Tuning has a plug and play simple solution for you that will keep the ECM happy with the abscence of the AFM sensors.
I took it to the dealer today and they said it was throwing a fuel pump code, but that unplugging those sensors did it. There's nothing going on with the fuel pump or AFM sensors since they're all in tact. The dealer said in order to get the check engine light off a tune would do it or to plug those sensor by in by having them welded onto the new exhaust. Tune it is! Thanks for the advice on it.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Actually, this is my fault. I think y'all are right. I unplugged the two AFM valves. Now, my next question is: do you know if there is only two? Then the other 2 towards the back of the car are the actual NPP valves?

If so, I'm thinking of just cutting out the piece of pipe and welding it into the new exhaust system since I don't want to be throwing a code all the time.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #20
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMoranPranks View Post
Actually, this is my fault. I think y'all are right. I unplugged the two AFM valves. Now, my next question is: do you know if there is only two? Then the other 2 towards the back of the car are the actual NPP valves?

If so, I'm thinking of just cutting out the piece of pipe and welding it into the new exhaust system since I don't want to be throwing a code all the time.
The front two are AFM valves. You cannot unplug these unless you tune for it. I think Tim @ EFI has a solution now though with simulators that allow you to unplug them. He's a vendor on this forum.

The rear two at the muffler are NPP valves. Not sure if you can unplug those without throwing a code either, but maybe you can. Guys always unplug the fuse to them and there is no CEL so perhaps those will be fine.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #21
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
The front two are AFM valves. You cannot unplug these unless you tune for it. I think Tim @ EFI has a solution now though with simulators that allow you to unplug them. He's a vendor on this forum.

The rear two at the muffler are NPP valves. Not sure if you can unplug those without throwing a code either, but maybe you can. Guys always unplug the fuse to them and there is no CEL so perhaps those will be fine.
Thanks for the help! I'm going back to the exhaust shop to have them weld on the two front sensors with the pipe still in tact with them, the back two I'll keep you posted on to see if they need to be plugged in as well. I did do the fuse pull almost the first week I got the car, but wanted something a little louder which is why I went with the exhaust system I have now, just pulled the wrong sensors. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #22
JFM-jr

Yes pulling the NPP fuse is the same thing as unplugging them hence the reason I said they would not cause a CEL. If I were you id look into the simulators nice and easy way to delete them.

http://efi-tuning.net/efi-tuning-201...module-set-v2/
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #23
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Yes pulling the NPP fuse is the same thing as unplugging them hence the reason I said they would not cause a CEL. If I were you id look into the simulators nice and easy way to delete them.

http://efi-tuning.net/efi-tuning-201...module-set-v2/
Nice! Thanks for the link, I had been looking for some but couldn't find them. In your opinion as far as running the car without the values for now, is that bad? Or the only "bad" thing about it is that its causing the CEL?
Old 02-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #24
gdgraph

I was very confused reading through this thread lol.

Just for clarification, they are not sensors, there are 4 connectors that plug into 4 actuators (little electrical motors).

- The forward two are the actuators that control the AFM valves (they open/close to build up /release back pressure for when the car shuts down cylinders).
- The last two actuators on the mufflers control the valves for your NPP exhaust.

All 4 valves are spring loaded open and they close with the actuators. If you disconnect the forward 2 actuators (for the AFM) you will have issues (CEL) because the car cannot control the back pressure when going into cylinder shut down mode. You can disable the AFM function by buying a plug-in or just getting your car custom tuned.
Attached Images

gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #25
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
I was very confused reading through this thread lol.

Just for clarification, they are not sensors, there are 4 connectors that plug into 4 actuators (little electrical motors).

- The forward two are the actuators that control the AFM valves (they open/close to build up /release back pressure for when the car shuts down cylinders).
- The last two actuators on the mufflers control the valves for your NPP exhaust.

All 4 valves are spring loaded open and they close with the actuators. If you disconnect the forward 2 actuators (for the AFM) you will have issues (CEL) because the car cannot control the back pressure when going into cylinder shut down mode. You can disable the AFM function by buying a plug-in or just getting your car custom tuned.
Yo, awesome write up, man! I appreciate it!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #26
gdgraph

No problem! Our exhausts are fairly complex compared to most normal cars, so I feel your pain with trying to trouble shoot it. I had my car up on the lift quite a few times for the exhaust because I initially bought a magnaflow, couldn't stand the drone so I swapped it out with the Borla and then it didn't fit right so I got new mid pipes haha.

Quote:
Yo, awesome write up, man! I appreciate it!
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #27
SamMoranPranks
SamMoranAutos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
No problem! Our exhausts are fairly complex compared to most normal cars, so I feel your pain with trying to trouble shoot it. I had my car up on the lift quite a few times for the exhaust because I initially bought a magnaflow, couldn't stand the drone so I swapped it out with the Borla and then it didn't fit right so I got new mid pipes haha.
That's awesome, man! I have found that cars are getting smarter than me and any type of mod could potentially throw a code since they're so sensitive. In your opinion, is it bad to run my car with those AFM sensors unplugged, or is the only "bad" thing the fact that it's throwing a CEL? The car runs perfect. I just have the light on now. Thinking of just buying the bypass sensors instead of having to weld the originals back on with the pipe it came attached to.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #28
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
Quote:
I didn't unplug the AFM sensors. My AFM still works just fine. I unplugged the valves that were attached to the pipes themselves that control those flapper valves on the NPP exhaust. There are four of them after the cats and resonator.
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, cel, check engine light, exhaust, tune