#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #169
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The CFI has a removable piece under the hood for track days to get more air flowing there too. It fills the air gap to deflect water to the side of the engine for normal driving. 3 bolts and it's out for the track.
Could you elaborate...I don't follow??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #170
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
I'm still concerned actually. Although I've never lapped the ring I can see it's got lots of cooling opportunities. I'm VERY curious to see how the cooling works on short tight American tracks. I keep switching back and forth in my head if I should replace my Gen 5 1LE with a Gen 6 ZL1 or 1LE. The cooloing is the big if. So I'll be watching closely next year as these beasts get in the hands of track rats.
Remember those media ride-along laps in Nevada earlier this year? Those cars were running non-stop...there was no opportunity for a 20 min, 40 min cool down, and they were going full-tilt...by the end of the session, the brakes were glowing red without fading back down...

...That session lasted for about 3 hours straight. They burned through over a tank of fuel. Neither the manual, or automatic car experienced any cooling issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Could you elaborate...I don't follow??
The business circled in blue is a water-shield - or drip tray - for the enormous extractor-style hood vent. It stifles a little bit of airflow as a result. It is designed to be removed for track days to promote....."proper breathing".

The new ZL1's hood vent is the most functional, efficient vent they've designed on a Camaro to-date.

Name:  20160818_105526 copy.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  98.3 KB
Old 10-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #171
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
You'll likely burn up 3 clutches before you ever harm that A10. Once you own the car the wait will be over. Also once you see how much the A10 kills the performance of the 6m you'll realize why they put the A10 on hold until they dump the 6m's.
Without any verifiable data to back up what you're saying about the A10, those predictions are pure speculation. I don't think you'll find many arguments from anyone denying the performance of the A10. That goes for all modern performance vehicles when comparing the manny vs auto. Any objective person can see the 10 speed's performance is flat out ridiculous and GM and Ford are to be applauded.

However, if the M6 is geared anything close to how the manual is geared on the z06, most of the benefits of the A10 will only be seen on the drag strip. On most road courses, you'll only be in 2nd and 3rd gear, so that's a single shift. For daily driving, I would hope there aren't people routinely gunning it to 95+mph to their neighborhood bakery, which would require 2 shifts.

So, for those who really want a M6, I don't think there's a whole bunch being given up vs the A10, especially if the fun factor of personally rowing cogs and/or adding aftermarket power with no reliability issues is of importance to them. Just my opinion though.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #172
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
Without any verifiable data to back up what you're saying about the A10, those predictions are pure speculation. I don't think you'll find many arguments from anyone denying the performance of the A10. That goes for all modern performance vehicles when comparing the manny vs auto. Any objective person can see the 10 speed's performance is flat out ridiculous and GM and Ford are to be applauded.

However, if the M6 is geared anything close to how the manual is geared on the z06, most of the benefits of the A10 will only be seen on the drag strip. On most road courses, you'll only be in 2nd and 3rd gear, so that's a single shift. For daily driving, I would hope there aren't people routinely gunning it to 95+mph to their neighborhood bakery, which would require 2 shifts.

So, for those who really want a M6, I don't think there's a whole bunch being given up vs the A10, especially if the fun factor of personally rowing cogs and/or adding aftermarket power with no reliability issues is of importance to them. Just my opinion though.
Fun factor...yes. And I agree with you whole-heartedly...I'm struggling a little with the decision myself. I don't care how fast the A10 is (and it IS)...there's nothing that is quite like shifting your own gears. It's just....fun!

But gears and performance? There is a high level of power under the curve that the A10 is providing the car by keeping the engine up in it's peak power all the time with those short gears. The A10 car will be noticeably quicker around any track because of it.

Consider exiting a corner in a M6 at 3500 rpms in 2nd...accelerate to 6200, shift to third...4800....accelerate to 6200.....

Versus...exiting a corner in the A10 at 5500 rpms in 3rd...accelerate to 6200, shift to 4th, 5400, accelerate to 6200....shift to 5th, 5400...And each shift is so quick, it may as well not even be measured.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #173

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The "new" manual trans should be excellent for the track as well:....I think the manual is worth waiting for a review on the track if you're not sure which way to go.....Info below is from previous thread..

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444455

EQUIPMENT
Let’s start with the facts. The engineers and designers working on the new ZL1 have revisited the successful formula from Gen 5 that we have come to know and love; just on an entirely different level.

Power is provided by the new supercharged 6.2L V8, the LT4. We’re used to seeing this robust power plant serve in the C7 Z06, and the good news is that the Camaro team has said the power output in the ZL1 is “estimated at 640hp/640tq”…history would suggest that we can expect more when the final numbers are released.

This nuclear amount of power is sent to the gorgeous new lightweight, 20” forged aluminum wheels by either a standard 6-speed manual transmission, or an available all-new 10-speed automatic. The 10-speed auto features TAPshift, and represents General Motors’ first use of the new transmission. Shifts are described as “lightning” fast, and there will be more information about this transmission coming soon. The six speed manual transmission benefits from active rev match and revised, track-oriented gear ratios that means there’s only one overdrive gear.

Magnetic Ride Control makes a return appearance in the suspension system, and we’re told the calibration is further revised in this application. Also new is a custom launch control feature within the Performance Traction Management system. An electronic differential, Goodyear Eagle F1: Supercar tires (285 f, 305 r), and gargantuan 15.35” 6-piston Brembo front brakes round out the performance hardware featured on this car.

And all of that equipment is bolted to the most recent version of the world-beating Alpha chassis, which translates into a ZL1 that is more than 200 lbs lighter, with at least 60 more horsepower and 80 more lbs. ft. of torque than its predecessor.

No pricing or ordering details have been released. But we’re expecting that past ZL1 customers should be able to afford this new car. There’s a lot of expensive equipment on this car, but they have no intentions of price gouging just because they can.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #174
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Fun factor...yes. And I agree with you whole-heartedly...I'm struggling a little with the decision myself. I don't care how fast the A10 is (and it IS)...there's nothing that is quite like shifting your own gears. It's just....fun!

But gears and performance? There is a high level of power under the curve that the A10 is providing the car by keeping the engine up in it's peak power all the time with those short gears. The A10 car will be noticeably quicker around any track because of it.

Consider exiting a corner in a M6 at 3500 rpms in 2nd...accelerate to 6200, shift to third...4800....accelerate to 6200.....

Versus...exiting a corner in the A10 at 5500 rpms in 3rd...accelerate to 6200, shift to 4th, 5400, accelerate to 6200....shift to 5th, 5400...And each shift is so quick, it may as well not even be measured.
Interesting, after riding shotgun during your hot lap a few months ago, I thought you would have been definitely sold on the A10!
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:27 PM   #175
artsbest

Drives: ZL1
Good post.
artsbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #176
artsbest

Drives: ZL1
The driver is one cool customer. Ran the tach to redline numerous times and didn't even look like he was sweating. That transmission performed magnificently. One great car is forthcoming from GM with their new ZL1. Can't wait for the Z28. Great video.
artsbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:07 AM   #177
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Engineers drive trains.
Yes I do. I am limited to 70 mph and handles like it is on rails!!! It is the most boring ride you will ever have lol!! The driver in the vid looks like he is driving a train. To cool, I don't ever see a wide eye moment.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:13 AM   #178
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Remember those media ride-along laps in Nevada earlier this year? Those cars were running non-stop...there was no opportunity for a 20 min, 40 min cool down, and they were going full-tilt...by the end of the session, the brakes were glowing red without fading back down...

...That session lasted for about 3 hours straight. They burned through over a tank of fuel. Neither the manual, or automatic car experienced any cooling issues.

The business circled in blue is a water-shield - or drip tray - for the enormous extractor-style hood vent. It stifles a little bit of airflow as a result. It is designed to be removed for track days to promote....."proper breathing".

The new ZL1's hood vent is the most functional, efficient vent they've designed on a Camaro to-date.

Attachment 828927
Ahh Lansing, such a great day. Camaro ran deep that whole weekend!!!
Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #179
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

Sure there is always speculation with any 1st time product but I'm banking on this trans being developed for heavy duty truck applications and it holding up pretty well.

As for shifting on the road track, it's not how fast you shift like it is on the drag strip but more how much shifting the auto can do. Instead of 2nd 3rd only it's running through 4 or 5 gears and watching the video you'll see it rarely even dips out of the 5k rpm range.

Now fun factor is a whole different story.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #180
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Went from 6 to midnight watching that video.

DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #181
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Thanks,

Is there any viable reason to leave it on other than possibly getting caught in the rain / car wash??

Quote:

Attachment 828927
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #182
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The "new" manual trans should be excellent for the track as well:....I think the manual is worth waiting for a review on the track if you're not sure which way to go.....Info below is from previous thread..

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444455

The six speed manual transmission benefits from active rev match and revised, track-oriented gear ratios that means there’s only one overdrive gear.
That was debunked a while ago. I don't know why the press materials stated that - it's not true. The gear ratios are track-oriented like last generation's ZL1, 1LE and Z/28...there are two overdrive gears.

However - I agree with you on the manual transmission's prowess...

The clutch pedal is about as light as the SS model...WAY lighter than last generation ZL1. It features rev-matching, a beautiful technology. And, first gear will run out to 60 mph.

Should be fun!

Quote:
Interesting, after riding shotgun during your hot lap a few months ago, I thought you would have been definitely sold on the A10!
I am a self-identified manual-transmission kinda guy. My ZL1 was manual. The 1LE is manual...I genuinely enjoy shifting a good manual transmission.

But that media event in Nevada opened my eyes WIDE to the A10's capabilities. This video has pressed the point deeper into my head.

I'm 95% certain at this point I'll be ordering an A10 version...but there's no doubt I'll miss rowing through the gears going around town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Thanks,

Is there any viable reason to leave it on other than possibly getting caught in the rain / car wash??
Yes...rain, and car washes.

The drip tray is part of a system designed to keep flowing water away from sensitive components in the engine compartment...easy to just keep it on. During daily driving, there's no reason to have a ton of extra airflow....on the track: There is.