#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Lashu74
Lashu74

Drives: 2017 ZL1
RPM gauge pulsating

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, my rpm gauge jumps from 500 to 750 sometimes pulsating at idle and sometimes it is just still. The only mods I have are green filter and tm throttle body. I didn’t notice it before installing the pair. I uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure I didn’t have a vaccum leak but all seems tight and all hoses connected properly. I’m wondering if air might be getting in past the green filter didn’t seem to have as much compressible material as the stock to seal it in the box although it seemed like a good fit. I def have the right model number. I disconnected the battery for 15 as well to see if that would help seems to be a little better but still does it intermittently.
After reconnecting the battery I started the car, pulled out of garage and then shut it off. Upon restarting it was making a rapid machine gun noise out the exhaust I shut it down after a few seconds it threw a check engine light that came up as throttle position sensor code. I restarted and it was fine. I cleared the code and started several times since then and it’s been fine. The car seems to be running fine aside from the pulsating rpms at idle. I guess I’m wondering mostly if this is normal if not I’ll start by putting the stock filter back in and see if that takes care of it. Also it is a M6. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashu74 View Post
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, my rpm gauge jumps from 500 to 750 sometimes pulsating at idle and sometimes it is just still. The only mods I have are green filter and tm throttle body. I didn’t notice it before installing the pair. I uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure I didn’t have a vaccum leak but all seems tight and all hoses connected properly. I’m wondering if air might be getting in past the green filter didn’t seem to have as much compressible material as the stock to seal it in the box although it seemed like a good fit. I def have the right model number. I disconnected the battery for 15 as well to see if that would help seems to be a little better but still does it intermittently.
After reconnecting the battery I started the car, pulled out of garage and then shut it off. Upon restarting it was making a rapid machine gun noise out the exhaust I shut it down after a few seconds it threw a check engine light that came up as throttle position sensor code. I restarted and it was fine. I cleared the code and started several times since then and it’s been fine. The car seems to be running fine aside from the pulsating rpms at idle. I guess I’m wondering mostly if this is normal if not I’ll start by putting the stock filter back in and see if that takes care of it. Also it is a M6. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
Don't bother putting the stock filter back in, the likely cause of the pulsating idle is the Mamo throttle bottle. This is a known issue with ported throttle bodies. When I had a Mamo TB on my car, it hunted RPMs at idle. Not as bad as yours, but it was noticeable. I had a vMax ported TB on my 5th gen ZL1 and it hunted RPMs at idle.

Put your stock TB back on and verify that the jump in RPMs goes away. If it does, I would contact Mr Mamo. He may need to send you a TB that's ported a little less agressively.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Don't bother putting the stock filter back in, the likely cause of the pulsating idle is the Mamo throttle bottle. This is a known issue with ported throttle bodies. When I had a Mamo TB on my car, it hunted RPMs at idle. Not as bad as yours, but it was noticeable. I had a vMax ported TB on my 5th gen ZL1 and it hunted RPMs at idle.

Put your stock TB back on and verify that the jump in RPMs goes away. If it does, I would contact Mr Mamo. He may need to send you a TB that's ported a little less agressively.
Agreed. Good place to start. No problem with mine, but I am personally aware of two ZL1 owners who experienced slightly erratic idles which disappeared when the stock TB was reinstalled.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Lashu74
Lashu74

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I contacted Tony in regards to my throttle body concerns and three days later I had a new one at my door! Talk about excellent customer service...he def got me dialed in this time...the car has never felt stronger, not sure if it’s the colder weather, the tb or the green filter, most likely a combination of all three. Just wanted to give props where they are do.
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote