Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Silverado leaf springs question

Guys I bought this 2011 Silverado 1500 crewcab 4wd with the tow package brand new. The truck sits at 47,000 miles. Over the years I've noticed the ride height has lowered slightly. But the biggest change has come from the rear end which seems more harsh over rough sections of roads. I did install new struts and shocks a little over a year ago with no major improvement.

So today I took and had the rear drums turned and did a quick clean and adjust to the rear brakes. I noticed that the leaf springs are not as curved as they once were. At some angles they look like they're taking the shape of a "w" kind of? I've checked both sides and see no broken springs. Both sides are pretty much identical. Does this look normal or are a set of new springs in order in the near future? Fyi when the trucks on the wheels the springs are ever so slightly more straight than in the picture. Thanks

Last edited by Silveradoss573; 02-17-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
What shock did you put on? I have noticed that some aftermarket ones don't dampen as well as others, typically the cheap ones. I don't think the springs look too far out as your overload spring still isn't touching the next spring up.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Thank you for the reply. I replaced with gm oem struts and shocks so nothing different there. The front has dropped maybe a 1/8 inch but the rear about a inch or so since new. I seen people on forums with cracked and/or broken leaf springs on 2007-2013 Silverado and Sierra 1500 trucks since posting this so now I'm even more concerned but not sure if I really should be at this point.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
Springs will sag over time. I would replace them. Not hard to do
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote