Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
camaro2lt-15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS SGM
Why didn't I get a V8?

I keep getting asked this way to much my 2015 2LT has plenty of power for me, I'm just happy to get my dream car a Camaro
I get asked why not a SS? isn't it faster?
Why does it matter if I bought a V6 and not a V8 ?
A new '15 SS is 43,000 my 2LT was 31,000 and my daily driver.
I don't see them with a Camaro ,why do they care so much? They do tell me they like it, that's good
camaro2lt-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Just do what I do. Put one of these in your engine compartment:

Of course there is a V8 under the hood!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
failshift
Banned

Team 8.5L
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I think there is an expectation that a pony car like this has to have a V8 to be the icon they once were. I can see both sides. To me, if I'm going to make the sacrifices of Camaro use (limited trunk space, loading kids in a 2 door, not taking it out in the rain or snow, more garage space, etc) then I'm going to make sure I get maximum enjoyment - V8 power and noise are right at the top of my list there. To me, it's a toy, so I'm going to get the full experience.

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a V6 car. The truth is even the V6 has more than enough power to get you into trouble in no time, and is very enjoyable to drive. It's a personal choice, if a V6 model helps more people enjoy such an awesome car, then I'm glad its there as an option. To many, I'm sure they aren't into pushing the car to the limit all over the place, and it's more about the look and feel - the V6 car excels at delivering that on a much better price point.

Next time you get crap for the V6 thing just ask them what they are driving - it's usually nothing special. The folks that have the nice stuff aren't usually likely to crap on you. It's usually some punk that wants the V8 car but can't have it for what-ever reason, so they feel the need to try to bring you down. Tune 'em out, who has time for that kind of negativity!?
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
To many, I'm sure they aren't into pushing the car to the limit all over the place, and it's more about the look and feel - the V6 car excels at delivering that on a much better price point.

N

Idk about that. Most people I see driving like idiots are RS/basemodels that peg it out of every light/turn
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
alrock

Drives: 2015 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
I ended up with a V8 in part because I was buying used and got a car that met my budget. If I was buying new, I could not justify the V8 price. The V6 is a good performer in these cars and I'm happy to recommend it to those that are curious about getting a Camaro. I think acammer nailed it in his answer.
alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Idk about that. Most people I see driving like idiots are RS/basemodels that peg it out of every light/turn
Many - not all. There definitely is a sub-set that just got what they could afford and just wanna drive the wheels off it. I have a life-time membership to that group!

The majority of base models I see roaming around are typically driven by the 40-69 year old set - they're past all the shenanigans, but want to enjoy the look and feel of a throw-back to their youth.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I've been watching Hawaii Five-O in Netflix. Just finished Season 2 and Danno has a V6 Camaro RS.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #9
Ccl412

Drives: Black 2015 LT
If I hadn't done the V6 I wouldn't have been able to get one at all
I gave up my TA 31 years ago for my family now I have a fun time driving again
Ccl412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
Ccl412

Drives: Black 2015 LT
I tried to explain to my wife that the camaro is more like my motorcycle than her Toyota
Ccl412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
I've always bought used, with plenty of miles on the clock. This go around, I put all my pennies in and bought the most expensive and badass I could find. The Camaro was not my first choice though. I wanted a nice fat Hellcat, but the sticker price was more nickels than I had. My second choice was the GT500, but it quickly turned into a crowd magnet... I knew my pennies were going to go to the next of living, if I signed off on it. I didn't even know what a ZL1 was until I told the sales guy I was through with the Shelby. He directed me over to a fresh trade-in, we got in and I was sold... well, not on that particular one, but I searched long and hard after that and found my red hot vert.

So with all that being said, why didn't you go for a V8? Who buys a sports anything and gets the minimum? I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm legitimately asking because it was only a matter of time before I would go into the V6 section and ask the same thing. There was another member who questioned their manliness because of a V6, but I didn't want to ask him because he was too depressing. I mean it's not like buying a sports bike, where you are expected to buy smaller and work your way up.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
glad you like you RS. for me it was an SS or nothing. had to have the v8 and m6...just my preference.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
The only reason I got the 1ss 1LE was to take it to the track after reading on here how awesome it was at it's purpose. I had tons of fun in my V6 on the street.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #14
BadgerRN

Drives: 2013 V6 Camaro RS
Eh, I think I have only had ONE person ask me what was under the hood. Countless number of people that compliment the car each week, no matter where I am at. Having an SS V8 would have been ideal, I agree. However, I couldn't have near as many quality of life upgrades with the SS as I have been able to have with my V6 with the cost (leather/heated seating, interior lighting, gauges, HUD, etc) Being in my twenties, I have a sweet daily driver that most people are still envious of with enough extra cash to upgrade intake, exhaust, etc with enough power to get into trouble. Couldn't do that with the monthly payment on an SS.

A couple decades from now when I am older and have a more lucrative paycheck, perhaps I will "work my way up" into something bigger. Nothing wrong with starting out somewhere, you know.
BadgerRN is offline   Reply With Quote