Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
I hate the 1LE

So I was just reading the posts in this thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351690

about the lousy crappy tire life they are getting with their 1LE's and not a single person seems to be disappointed in lots of tire wear after only 10,000 miles.

Some advice for people thinking about buying a 1LE : Don't. The 1LE is fun on a specially made smooth track (which I guess is why they call it "track ready", but in the real world which will be 99.999% of your time, you may end up as disappointed with it as I am.

The ride is rock-hard and any fair sized bump in the road is LOUD and harsh. The gear ratio is so low it gobbles up more gas than you would expect, forcing you to start off in 2nd gear or at least shift from 1-3-5 in normal city driving. (Yes I know its geared for racing). The ride becomes downright dangerous when the temperature drops below 7^c (about 40^f) because those "F1 Eagle Super Tires" (LOL!) turn to cement making the ride not only even harder and louder, but downright slippery even on dry pavement. I had to gently accelerate from red lights just to avoid spinning the rear tires.

Currently my 1LE is a heated garage for the winter but selling to the first buyer who offers me a fair price. http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/ctd/4411943696.html

The 2SS RS is a great mix of speed, handling and comfort and I recommend that model for any Camaro lover. But the 1LE? Think twice.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
It's not for everyone. That's why they make other models.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Lol. Do you often get buyer's remorse when making purchases without reading the details of what you're buying?

See, the 1LE has summer only tires. And Chevrolet doesn't hide this. In fact, they strongly inform the reader in their Camaro brochure that you should consider different tires, and work with your dealer to do so, if summer only tires won't work for you.

My Audi S4 also had summer only tires which sucked in the snow. So much for Quattro. I had to buy different tires for different seasons.

On suspension, yes being a track ready car the 1LE feels the road much more than other cars. For me it doesn't seem to be a problem unless the road has lots of potholes.

Anyway, good luck selling your rig. Wish I had the dough for an extra car. I might just buy an electric car to use for work and drive the camaro on weekends.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #4
ADR01T

Drives: '14 1LE | 04 RX-8
Not sure what to say to this except that I ordered my 1LE with all of these shortcomings in mind and the intention of buying an extra set of wheels/tires right off of the bat. I guess it depends on what you expect/want out of the car. Sorry this package isn't for you. Curious, I don't see any mention of the fact that the Camaro is stricken blind by the gun-slit windows in your review as a negative.

Every car has its advantages and disadvantages; I don't think I've read any reviews that falsely advertise amazing grip from the tires in adverse weather, Prius-like gas mileage, or soft comfortable suspension. For the price range that this car exists and the performance aspects that the car offers, it is clearly targeted toward a very niche-demographic.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you find what you're looking for in your next car.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
I read two mistakes in your thread:
1/ The 1LE suspension isn't too hard, it's the SS which is too soft.
2/ The 1LE gears aren't too short, the SS gears that are too long.

Sorry you regret your purchase, but there is no problem with the 1LE, it's only about the car fitting your needs. none of the "problems" you're listing are hidden. Actually, they are advertised a lot as they all 3 are part of what makes a 1LE.

I'd suggest you thinking twice before buying a Z28, a Ferrari or any sportscar!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I thought it was law in Canada that you had to run winters?

I had to decide between 1LE and vert, and I went vert because I KNOW I will be able to enjoy it's additional features more than I would 1LE. After months of research on this site, I now know that if i were to buy any coupe, it would be ZL1, nothing less. The magno shocks are reportedly a revelation under all conditions. Did you do any research before you chose the 1LE?

I'm coming out of a car with a "rock hard" suspension, the Mazdaspeed3. I get that permagrin when I go through roundabouts daily but like you describe the 1LE, you feel every ripple in the pavement. My wife hates it which is fine with me. It keeps her out of my car. But after six years, I have to admit I'm looking forward to a bit more suspension compliance.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
I see a Prius in your future. Good luck with that.. Sounds like the 1le will find a better home.

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #8
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
I dont ever remember reading about the 1LE's great road manners. I do remember reading that it was terrific on a track. Track Capable cars will be a tough ride on regular roads. Also the cheaper they are the worse the ride. They higher end ones can afford to put some form of active suspension in so you can chose sorta comfortable/sport/track(rock hard). You may want to look at a challenger R/T they have a nice street ride more of a GT cruiser. Friend has one it is very nice just different from a Camaro. PS wait for 15's they are getting an all new interior with slight refresh outside.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
I see a Prius in your future. Good luck with that.. Sounds like the 1le will find a better home.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
Should you get a 6 Cyl. ??
Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #11
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
So I was just reading the posts in this thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351690

about the lousy crappy tire life they are getting with their 1LE's and not a single person seems to be disappointed in lots of tire wear after only 10,000 miles.

Some advice for people thinking about buying a 1LE : Don't. The 1LE is fun on a specially made smooth track (which I guess is why they call it "track ready", but in the real world which will be 99.999% of your time, you may end up as disappointed with it as I am.

The ride is rock-hard and any fair sized bump in the road is LOUD and harsh. The gear ratio is so low it gobbles up more gas than you would expect, forcing you to start off in 2nd gear or at least shift from 1-3-5 in normal city driving. (Yes I know its geared for racing). The ride becomes downright dangerous when the temperature drops below 7^c (about 40^f) because those "F1 Eagle Super Tires" (LOL!) turn to cement making the ride not only even harder and louder, but downright slippery even on dry pavement. I had to gently accelerate from red lights just to avoid spinning the rear tires.

Currently my 1LE is a heated garage for the winter but selling to the first buyer who offers me a fair price. http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/ctd/4411943696.html

The 2SS RS is a great mix of speed, handling and comfort and I recommend that model for any Camaro lover. But the 1LE? Think twice.
Harsh ride? My 1LE absorbs bumps 100 times better than both of the 4th gen Z/28's I had. It's not geared ANY taller than a regular SS when starting in first gear. The 3.91's in back offset the taller 1st gear in the transmission. If anything, i'd want my car to have some 4.10's. Yeah no shit about driving it in cold weather. 1LE's aren't meant to be driven in cold weather, neither are the new Z/28's, ZR-1's, Porsche GT3's, Ferrari Enzo's etc, etc. That's why they come with ultra grippy summer only tires, duh. I agree that the 1LE isn't for everyone. If you buy one without knowing all of the pieces that make up the package, and don't do any research on it, then you are simply a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
A Prius or a scooter.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Somebody didn't do their homework
Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #13
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
OP, was the 1LE an impulse buy? Did you not read anything about it before you bought it?

All of the points that you bring up are indeed what makes this a great track car. Remember, this is an option package for the SS camaro. You could have purchased a regular 1SS or 2SS without 1LE...
Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Mine is my daily driver and I love it. I don't find the ride harsh at all, in fact driving other cars now I find the ride too loose and bouncy.

Yes the tire life isn't 40000 miles, but they are performance tires, and I have raced mine.

If you want more tire life you can always put a different set on easy enough. The trans is a close ratio trans if you do a lot of stop and go maybe a m6 isn't for you and should get an auto...

Closed Thread