Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #15
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Avoid buying rental cars like they are the black plague!

The only way I would buy one is if they were going to part ways with it for next to nothing, and even then I wouldn't have high hopes for it.
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
I wonder why people feel the need to abuse a rental. I wonder what that says about the person. Either way, Carmax offers a great warranty (from what I've heard). I've read that the warranty on luxury cars (BMW M series, MB AMG, ETC) Cost around 3-5k extra. I'd imagine that in a Camaro the price would be somewhat lower.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #17
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I bought one rental, '96 Plymouth Neon, was the worst car I have ever owned, Can not even list all of the problems I had with it. I ended up donating it to a vo-tech school because I would not sell that POS to anyone. If you buy a rental make sure you get the GM 5 year 50,000 Bumper to bumper warranty if they offer it. Better off looking for a private party used with low miles. .
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #18
RAMTechRob

Drives: 2016 Camaro White 1LT
I have executive status with National, so I drive the muscle cars. Unless it was $5k under book value, or you get a great warranty, stay away.
RAMTechRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #19
ritchet

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS Red Rock
I bought a VW Jetta that was a rental. I've put over 100k on it and just recently replaced the A/C. It's been a good car and got it for a good price. Just beware that your resale/trade-in value will effected by the rental status. But since I paid less to start it all works in the end.
ritchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:01 AM   #20
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
this car has been beat to hell and has never had anything but 87 octane in it. STAY AWAY.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
One phrase: "Don't be gentle, it's a rental!"
Old 04-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #22
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Not sure on the Camaro, but when I worked at a Mazda dealership, new cars came in that were ordered for rentals. They actually had some things deleted on the Mazda 6, that was standard equipment on a regular Mazda 6 for retail.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #23
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
I bought one rental, '96 Plymouth Neon, was the worst car I have ever owned, Can not even list all of the problems I had with it. I ended up donating it to a vo-tech school because I would not sell that POS to anyone. If you buy a rental make sure you get the GM 5 year 50,000 Bumper to bumper warranty if they offer it. Better off looking for a private party used with low miles. .
Enough said, that POS was, well a POS. Rental are not!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #24
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Not sure on the Camaro, but when I worked at a Mazda dealership, new cars came in that were ordered for rentals. They actually had some things deleted on the Mazda 6, that was standard equipment on a regular Mazda 6 for retail.
I seem to remember something like that when I worked for a rental car company. Also the cars usually had some sort of minor issues. Like fit and finish problems, or mismatched trim. So they were basically rejects that couldn't be sold as new cars to the general public.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #25
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I have abused rental cars in ways that I am ALMOST ashamed to verbalize. I've ramped 'em, slid 'em, raced 'em, crashed 'em... I even took a Buick with less than 30 miles on the odometer airborne, at least three vertical feet.

I always swore that I would never, ever buy a rental, because of a-holes like me.

However, twice I have come across good deals on previous rentals. I purchased both (one was an S-10 Blazer, one was my current Camaro). Both of these cars have been outstandingly good, reliable, nice, clean cars. My prejudice against rentals still exists, and caution is certainly in order, but I can certainly testify that it is very possible to get a car in excellent condition for a great price (that notation of, "previous rental" that is stamped on the title is worth some good price reduction!).

I would treat the purchase of a previous rental as I would ANY other used car... but I would never simply disregard it simply because it MAY have a sordid past.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #26
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Enough said, that POS was, well a POS. Rental are not!
Based on experience, I concur.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #27
Kodexo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I have abused rental cars in ways that I am ALMOST ashamed to verbalize. I've ramped 'em, slid 'em, raced 'em, crashed 'em... I even took a Buick with less than 30 miles on the odometer airborne, at least three vertical feet.

I always swore that I would never, ever buy a rental, because of a-holes like me.

However, twice I have come across good deals on previous rentals. I purchased both (one was an S-10 Blazer, one was my current Camaro). Both of these cars have been outstandingly good, reliable, nice, clean cars. My prejudice against rentals still exists, and caution is certainly in order, but I can certainly testify that it is very possible to get a car in excellent condition for a great price (that notation of, "previous rental" that is stamped on the title is worth some good price reduction!).

I would treat the purchase of a previous rental as I would ANY other used car... but I would never simply disregard it simply because it MAY have a sordid past.
This^^^ Assholes like us will **** with rental cars just because. Do yourself a favor and don't waste thousands.
Kodexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #28
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Whats the old saying "Yes I'll take the extra insurance, this car is going to see more air time than a skateboard at the X games" Buyer beware...