Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-10-2022, 07:51 PM   #15
Raisin Man

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020maro View Post
I pay over $300 a month to STATE FARM!! this should be replaced as it was shown in my supplement as it being fully replaced. They are claiming they were only given 12 hours for the quarter panel…
GEICO!!

Masters of used parts / recycled parts / salvaged parts collision repair.
Raisin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:46 PM   #16
CanadianVetZL1

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Define Properly
I did define it.
Eibach Pro Lowering Kit
Oracle Side markers (Paint matched)
Rear window "wind screen"
Xpel Paint Protection
Ceramic Pro Coating
CanadianVetZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
In this case I would insist on new OEM parts.

Actually, I did just that when I had a mishap two years ago (my fault) and that's exactly what the body shop did after I asked them to make sure to use only OEM, gave them purchase info for my destroyed aftermarket parts, and told them to take as much time as necessary to make things perfect.

In the end I got a detailed 13-page invoice with part numbers, plus a car that is the same as OEM, even better in some ways (it tracked better, since they had a brand new high tech alignment rack and perfected the previous alignment). The insurance company paid the bill no questions asked, I was only on the hook for the deductible.

A quality body shop is very much worth spending the effort to find.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #18
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think you just replace the quarter on these cars. I think the whole entire side panel up around the top and to the front of the doors gets replaced. That is a big job, so not to be undertaken lightly. I can see a normally reputable shop being skittish at taking that on.
That said, what about your suspension damage? Or is that just a trick of the camera? The way that wheel is cranked over, I wouldn’t be surprised if the cradle and it’s mounting points were bent.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:21 AM   #19
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think you just replace the quarter on these cars. I think the whole entire side panel up around the top and to the front of the doors gets replaced. That is a big job, so not to be undertaken lightly. I can see a normally reputable shop being skittish at taking that on.
That said, what about your suspension damage? Or is that just a trick of the camera? The way that wheel is cranked over, I wouldn’t be surprised if the cradle and it’s mounting points were bent.
all this is true,but a good shop can handle it.any shop that would fill a new car with that much bondo is not a place i would consider a good shop,and as you have pointed out there was no mention of other damages.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:49 AM   #20
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
repaired with new parts,minimal bondo where the quarter meets the rest of the car,all gaps as they were before the wreck,chassis alignment checked,trunk check for leaks,and a good,matching basecoat/clearcoat paint applied so it looks and functions as new.we have a shop here that guarantees their paint work for the life of the car.insurance aint cheap,and now its time for them to make this car right.
You are saying this isn't the case here? You think they got a bucket of bondo and started filling in a huge crater? Some of you think you aren't driving a mass produced car, but some hand made sports car. Crapping all over someone's work from 1 blurry picture! Pull it from the shop quick! You haven't even seen the finished product. Oh Lord, the sky is falling!! Most shops guaranty their work for as long as you own the car. Also, it is illegal in my state, probably your too for an insurance company to tell you where you have to get your car fixed. They may ask you to take to a particular shop for an estimate though. OVER REACTORS! GET AN ATTORNEY !!!!!

Last edited by mcintyre1969; 05-11-2022 at 11:43 AM.
mcintyre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #21
mcintyre1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianVetZL1 View Post
I did define it.
No you didn't, do you know what type of certifications this shop has? NO? Why not let them do there job first?
Old 05-11-2022, 11:48 AM   #22
redcoats1976

TBH it looks like thats pretty much what they are in the process of doing,yes.back bumper isnt off the car.it looks like the kind of work you might want to do on a 10 year old car in the backyard because you dont want to pay someone to fix it right,not on a nearly new vehicle that someone will be probably making payments on for a few more years.if this was your year old car would you be happy with this repair?according to the OP whose car it is,the insurance company wrote the quarter replaced...still sound honest to you?
Old 05-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #23
mcintyre1969

Quote:
TBH it looks like thats pretty much what they are in the process of doing,yes.back bumper isnt off the car.it looks like the kind of work you might want to do on a 10 year old car in the backyard because you dont want to pay someone to fix it right,not on a nearly new vehicle that someone will be probably making payments on for a few more years.if this was your year old car would you be happy with this repair?according to the OP whose car it is,the insurance company wrote the quarter replaced...still sound honest to you?
No doubt there are dishonest shops out there! If, they wrote replace, I would be talking to the shop about the pricing difference, but that doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. The people writing these estimates now days for insurance companies are just clicking and pointing on their lap tops, not a whole lot experience needed to be a claims adjuster right now. I had my rear quarter panels replaced on my 68 Camaro replaced and it is quite a job. I would not trust a lot of people to do it.

I've had shops piss me off, my local Chevy dealer for example, but that was after they screwed up the work I wanted done. If this is a good shop, you will not notice the repair. Just seems silly to me to get all riled up off 1 picture. So, Yes, I would be happy if it came out right, but I would wait till it is done to judge.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #24
redcoats1976

at the top of the page OP is quoted as " in the supplement as being fully replaced." you know that eventually even the best bondo jobs are not as good as real steel.i worked at a restoration shop for 5 years and i know theres a lot more involved in doing the work correctly as specified in the supplement than hammer and dollying the metal "close enough"and coating it with bondo,but if OP ever sells the car they are already going to take a loss just from the carfax report,even if the repair is done right with a new quarter.im certain that you wouldnt have paid to have the quarters on your 68 replaced unless you felt like it would be a superior result in the long run.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #25
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
If the insurance company is involved, then its gonna be on the vehicle's CarFax report. Better to be able to tell a prospective buyer that all new OE parts were used and the car was made "good as new!". Your deductible is going to be the same either way. Just my 2 cents.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:41 PM   #26
mcintyre1969

Quote:
at the top of the page OP is quoted as " in the supplement as being fully replaced." you know that eventually even the best bondo jobs are not as good as real steel.i worked at a restoration shop for 5 years and i know theres a lot more involved in doing the work correctly as specified in the supplement than hammer and dollying the metal "close enough"and coating it with bondo,but if OP ever sells the car they are already going to take a loss just from the carfax report,even if the repair is done right with a new quarter.im certain that you wouldnt have paid to have the quarters on your 68 replaced unless you felt like it would be a superior result in the long run.
Hell, I just took it to the shop to get A/C put in it. Called out there to see if they were done and I was told the owner, a friend of mine, was out in the shop tearing the car down. Took off every nut and bolt. It had real bondo filler in both back quarter panels. How do we know the supplement was not done after the picture?
Old 05-11-2022, 02:53 PM   #27
redcoats1976

i would like to believe it,but if i were the OP id be pretty skeptical.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:03 PM   #28
CanadianVetZL1

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
No you didn't, do you know what type of certifications this shop has? NO? Why not let them do there job first?
Reading comprehension is a life skill. Good luck to you in your journey.
Eibach Pro Lowering Kit
Oracle Side markers (Paint matched)
Rear window "wind screen"
Xpel Paint Protection
Ceramic Pro Coating
CanadianVetZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote