Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Drives: M1SS1LE
HOOKER BLACKHEART CRUSH PIPE DELETE KIT

Hello Guys,

Looking to change my Stainless Work Axleback Exhaust back to Stock NPP with Hooker Crust pipe Delete Kit as I have already cut the Stock mufflers and have to either Clamp it back on or Wield it.....

Does anybody have this on their car? (HOOKER BLACKHEART CRUSH PIPE DELETE KIT) If so, your thoughts on it?

https://www.brothersperformance.com/...ro-ss-lt1.html

Thanks....
Sham001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Absolutely a waste of money. The crushed areas are not hurting performance.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham001 View Post
Hello Guys,

Looking to change my Stainless Work Axleback Exhaust back to Stock NPP with Hooker Crust pipe Delete Kit as I have already cut the Stock mufflers and have to either Clamp it back on or Wield it.....

Does anybody have this on their car? (HOOKER BLACKHEART CRUSH PIPE DELETE KIT) If so, your thoughts on it?

https://www.brothersperformance.com/...ro-ss-lt1.html

Thanks....
I see what your saying instead of welding the factory pipes back together you could just clamp these into place. Why are you changing back from your Stainless Works If you don't mind me asking?

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
I see what your saying instead of welding the factory pipes back together you could just clamp these into place. Why are you changing back from your Stainless Works If you don't mind me asking?
Correct......sh** ton of drone with the stainless works system :-( Also I really miss the rev match blip sound with stock NPP which the car with stainless works axleback is totally lacking :-(
Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Absolutely a waste of money. The crushed areas are not hurting performance.
Do you have deletes installed on uour car? If so, howz the quality of the pipes?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Correct......sh** ton of drone with the stainless works system :-( Also I really miss the rev match blip sound with stock NPP which the car with stainless works axleback is totally lacking :-(
I would do it... how on earth could you justify putting the crushed junk back on it when you can replace it for only 130.00 bucks + install? Regardless of performance, it's knowing it's like that that bothers me..
Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Daves1SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Wonder if it would provide any hp gains for me being supercharged? I heard the primary cats are the biggest restriction, so that being the case probably not. It just looks so damn restrictive being crushed like that. Does Hooker just pull those claimed HP gains straight out of their asses? I remember seeing Mishimoto do a dyno test comparison on a stock Camaro SS, with the crush and without the crush, and there was NO difference in hp or torque.

Previous:
'12 Mustang GT 6MT (12.47 @ 115.88)
'09 G8 GT (11.86 @ 120.47)
'05 GTO 6MT (slow, lol)
'01 Grand Prix GTP converted to turbo, high 11's
Daves1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Hooker designed this BlackHeart crush pipe delete kit for the 16-17 Camaro SS to eliminate the crushed, factory mid-pipe that GM skimped out on. By replacing the inferior pipes you will gain up to 12.84 horsepower and 17.28 lb/ft of torque (tests were recorded on a dual mode NPP Camaro). This offers great bang-for-the-buck as the kit costs less than a few tanks of gas.
All marketing BS. Yeah GM purposely ignored that small section of exhaust pipe. That makes total sense. /sarcasm

Quote:
Slushboxes Are Not Welcome
Also **** you if you drive an automatic. You are not welcome here.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Totally not bothered about any HP gains, thought this would be a nice alternative vs Wielding back the Stock NPP muffler, Perhaps this might give a little more sound? due to less restriction?
Old 09-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Totally not bothered about any HP gains, thought this would be a nice alternative vs Wielding back the Stock NPP muffler, Perhaps this might give a little more sound? due to less restriction?
Mishimoto did a very well controlled back-to-back of the "crushed" pipes vs. a round mandrel bent pipe and showed zero difference between the two. It's in this thread:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...exhaust&page=4

Note that they did this essentially as an FYI. They have no dog in the fight, but were probably just curious like the rest of us.

Facts:
Oval pipes flow just as well as round.
Factory oval pipe sections do not hurt performance.
Likely helps ground clearance.

If it just bothers you, then fine, change it. Know that you are only changing them and spending money, time, and effort for your own OCD tendencies.

You asked for opinions and I have one, though. Good luck.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #11
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEnos View Post
Mishimoto did a very well controlled back-to-back of the "crushed" pipes vs. a round mandrel bent pipe and showed zero difference between the two. It's in this thread:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...exhaust&page=4

Note that they did this essentially as an FYI. They have no dog in the fight, but were probably just curious like the rest of us.

Facts:
Oval pipes flow just as well as round.
Factory oval pipe sections do not hurt performance.
Likely helps ground clearance.

If it just bothers you, then fine, change it. Know that you are only changing them and spending money, time, and effort for your own OCD tendencies.

You asked for opinions and I have one, though. Good luck.
lol....I have no OCD tendencies, I was just curios to know if it adds a bit more sound to the already Awesome Factory NPP.....I am just trying to find a good alternative to Wielding NPP Muffler with something like clamping it.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #12
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I think this product's been given less attention than it deserves. One of the lessons drummed into me back in school was Poiseulle's Law- http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/ppois.html, where it describes the effect of decreasing the diameter of a tube on the resistance to flow.

The basic idea is if you decrease the radius by half, you increase the resistance 16 times! Not to mention the greater likelihood of turbulence. Just couldn't let that slide. Yes it could be there is no increase in performance- but we're talking about a car company that wouldn't spend an estimated 57 cents each to fix faulty ignition switches- why build two pipes one for auto's and another for stick shifts, even if it just sounds better.

Which it does IMHO. With the NPP, Track mode sounds alot more serious now.
Was able to do it on jack stands on the garage floor- which is another plus.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ventmaster; 02-22-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
we build those exhaust and test with the engineers from GM. they no way affect sound or performance in that current situation. By adding more boost/power you will not see any additional gains either by modifying. I cannot speak on behalf of other exhaust on what they do.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #14
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I think this product's been given less attention than it deserves. One of the lessons drummed into me back in school was Poiseulle's Law- http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/ppois.html, where it describes the effect of decreasing the diameter of a tube on the resistance to flow.

The basic idea is if you decrease the radius by half, you increase the resistance 16 times! Not to mention the greater likelihood of turbulence. Just couldn't let that slide. Yes it could be there is no increase in performance- but we're talking about a car company that wouldn't spend an estimated 57 cents each to fix faulty ignition switches- why build two pipes one for auto's and another for stick shifts, even if it just sounds better.

Which it does IMHO. With the NPP, Track mode sounds alot more serious now.
Was able to do it on jack stands on the garage floor- which is another plus.
An equation is only good so long as the assumptions behind it are valid. In this case, they are not. I would guess some CFD went into the design of that crushed pipe!
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote