Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
02fbody35th

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Hydro2 over crystal seal

Hey guys, I like to use a good sealer like black fire crystal seal for its shine and durability. But I was wondering if I could use hydro2 on top of the crystal seal. I would like to use the hydro2 as a quick and easy touch up to the crystal seal. Is this recommended or is there any better options?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I would just put another coat of Crystal Seal, when you start mixing products from different manufacturers you have a tendency to add a little bit of Haze to the whole process. This is why I'm not a big believer in multiple coats of everything. Also Hydro on paint can splatter , but you're not gonna hurt anything ,if you want to try and report back here.

What does work with no problems is Duragloss Aquawax over Crystal seal when the car is still wet from washing....I have a feeling they are the same polymer.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Crystal seal is best topped with their Polymer spray.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-spray-sealant.html
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
02fbody35th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I would just put another coat of Crystal Seal, when you start mixing products from different manufacturers you have a tendency to add a little bit of Haze to the whole process. This is why I'm not a big believer in multiple coats of everything. Also Hydro on paint can splatter , but you're not gonna hurt anything ,if you want to try and report back here.

What does work with no problems is Duragloss Aquawax over Crystal seal when the car is still wet from washing....I have a feeling they are the same polymer.
Interesting. I will have to look into the duragloss. I like the idea of applying a product to wet paint. I feel like it will give good coverage and also get into the nooks and crannies where you can't get with a normal sealant. That's why I was considering the hydro2. But I didn't want to stray away from the awesome protection and gloss of the crystal seal. I also like the fact that with the hydro2 I don't have to wipe it off. Once it's activated I can blow the car dry.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
02fbody35th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Crystal seal is best topped with their Polymer spray.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-spray-sealant.html
I wasn't aware of this product. Thanks