Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 11-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #29
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Ugh. Kill it with a hammer. Automagics don't belong on a track. Some cars just shouldn't be available to everyone. Some cars should only be available to people that can drive them properly
Im sure Ferrari feels the same way.........lol
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 PM   #30
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Ugh. Kill it with a hammer. Automagics don't belong on a track. Some cars just shouldn't be available to everyone. Some cars should only be available to people that can drive them properly
I think what Chico is saying is that REAL MEN play with sticks... Ill leave that open to interpretation.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #31
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
Ferrari doesnt use automatics. They now use a true dual clutch that needs to be manually shifted for the best performance. It has instant manual shifts, unlike the torque converter based automatic used in the Camaro that will have a delay...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #32
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Ferrari doesnt use automatics. They now use a true dual clutch that needs to be manually shifted for the best performance. It has instant manual shifts, unlike the torque converter based automatic used in the Camaro that will have a delay...
Other than not having a TC and a few milliseconds difference in shift time, they are the same in terms of function. Which I believe is what he was trying to say. Regardless manual transmissions with clutch pedals are not present in many of best track cars today because of their performance hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #33
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
I think what Chico is saying is that REAL MEN play with sticks... Ill leave that open to interpretation.
What I'm trying to say is that manual transmissions have always been and will continue to be vastly superior for the race track - every racing professional prefers them - and cars shouldn't have their credibility destroyed and the brand dumbed down because most people these days don't know how to operate a clutch. Too many things are ruined because it's brought down to the level of the lowest common denominator. Let the 1LE and don't disrespect it by putting a slushbox in it just to increase sales at the expense of its reputation.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #34
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
Did you watch the video on the first page? Listen to the first minute.

"Hey you with the goofy smile on your face: feel like crying? Well go visit your local car dealership because they're all full of cars with teensy turbos and boring automatics. They're sold with some BS marketing spiel that pulling a shift paddle is an involving emotional experience. Right. Here's a big orange middle finger to that load. This Mustang has a big naturally aspirated V8, a six speed that you shift yourself and rear wheel drive like God intended."

Nobody wants a car like a GT350 in an automatic. They'd only sell out of necessity and driver incompetence, and even then, they'd be secretly embarrassed every time someone looked inside their window asking them why they bought an automatic, creating some mix of excuses about a long commute in stop and go traffic and something about drag strips that they never go to.

Who cares what Ferrari feels? Hardly anyone buys a Ferrari, those that do buy for the brand recognition and not performance because Corvettes outperform Ferrari's and they're notoriously poorly built. They've gone paddle shifter because a lot of the wealthy soulless businessmen that can afford them have a non-functioning left foot while driving. Dumbing down, yo. I'd take this Mustang over any Ferrari...unless, of course, the end game is I can just sell the Ferrari, get the Mustang and keep the rest
Old 11-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #35
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
DCTs are autos. They can shift on their own if you leave them be.
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #36
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Oh give me a break!

Giving the automatic the 1LE option (and it is an option, not a model or trim) will not "degrade it's reputation" or "lower it to the lowest common denominator". It's a performance package that is focused on increasing grip, and in the 5th Gen, had a more road track focused gearing in the transmission and rear end.

The reason why you didn't see a track/performance pack in either the 5th Gen automatic or current 6th Gen Mustang automatics is because while very durable..they're not particularly fast in stock form. However the new 8 speed IS fast enough for "performance driving" or track work. The new Ford 10 speed might also be just as fast and durable.

I think the only reason some people want a car to remain MANUAL ONLY HURRADURR is to protect the fragile egos and some need for exclusivity. Want exclusivity? Go find a 911 GT3 RS and pay the 6 figures for it..not a mid $30,000 Camaro.

The only thing that offering the 1LE option package will do is bring more profits to GM, which is a good thing in an increasingly competitive market where GM finds itself facing foes on all sides. Just think how many people might be swayed to a 2017 A8 SS with the 1LE if if offers something the Mustang doesn't? Might not be much, but ever sale counts.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #37
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Oh give me a break!

Giving the automatic the 1LE option (and it is an option, not a model or trim) will not "degrade it's reputation" or "lower it to the lowest common denominator". It's a performance package that is focused on increasing grip, and in the 5th Gen, had a more road track focused gearing in the transmission and rear end.

The reason why you didn't see a track/performance pack in either the 5th Gen automatic or current 6th Gen Mustang automatics is because while very durable..they're not particularly fast in stock form. However the new 8 speed IS fast enough for "performance driving" or track work. The new Ford 10 speed might also be just as fast and durable.

I think the only reason some people want a car to remain MANUAL ONLY HURRADURR is to protect the fragile egos and some need for exclusivity. Want exclusivity? Go find a 911 GT3 RS and pay the 6 figures for it..not a mid $30,000 Camaro.

The only thing that offering the 1LE option package will do is bring more profits to GM, which is a good thing in an increasingly competitive market where GM finds itself facing foes on all sides. Just think how many people might be swayed to a 2017 A8 SS with the 1LE if if offers something the Mustang doesn't? Might not be much, but ever sale counts.
Agreed.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #38
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Oh give me a break!

It's okay... ChocoTaco369 is apart of a dying breed. I will allow him to continue to drive behind me in his manual. Because when it comes down to it, none of us are professional drivers. Sure you can try to claim to be, but until you show me your professional race finishes, being manual or automatic means nothing. I choose not to drive a manual because I dislike them, not because I can't drive them. I don't need a stick in my hand to enjoy the driving experience.

And a special note to Mr. ChocoTaco369, Its one thing to have a view and another chastise anyone who doesn't agree with you. Slow your roll and take the chip off your shoulder.

Last edited by Sledgehammer70; 11-07-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #39
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
If an 1le is offered id be willing to trade up in 2019 for an automic version only though.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #40
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Oh give me a break!

Thank you.

If you don't like the auto, don't buy it! What's the point of whining like a little girl about it?
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #41
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Other than not having a TC and a few milliseconds difference in shift time, they are the same in terms of function. Which I believe is what he was trying to say. Regardless manual transmissions with clutch pedals are not present in many of best track cars today because of their performance hit.

The Corvette Z06 is the only track car I can think of that uses a torque converter automatic, and it seems for good reason with the heat issues. Most cars use a dual clutch or stick.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #42
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Oh give me a break!

It absolutely will degrade its reputation. What do you think the #1 complaints are from magazine reviews of cars like the GTR? It's the transmission. Same thing with the exotics. The push toward "paddle shifters" had quite the backlash, and they're starting to back-peddle.

Quote:
Or maybe it's because if they had to offer an automatic transmission, they'd have to test the automatic transmission and they know it would damage the times. There's a reason why the 1LE and Z28 were manual only. When you have an SS that's largely only going to see drag strips, it's advantageous to have an automatic transmission option. You don't want to run a slushbox around the 'Ring.

Quote:
Guess what? If you want an automatic transmission, get the automatic transmission car. If you're going to actually buy a "TRACK READY" package, it shouldn't be an option. People that actually are taking it to a real track need a manual transmission - it is the most important "mod" to the car. You cannot have a "TRACK READY" car with an automatic transmission. That's like having a "TRACK READY" car with a constantly deployed parachute.

Quote:
It absolutely will bring in more profits - can you imagine if these cars were only equipped with manual transmissions? Hardly anyone knows how to drive them. They'd sell only to a handful of drivers left on the road. Of course the base models need the automatic to sell. That, and to the handful of guys that will buy the car for the strip. But then that puny stock stall converter needs to go away really fast.

Leave the 1LE and Z28 packages alone, though. They should not have an automatic option. It sullies the brand and will weaken the times.