Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-09-2023, 02:14 PM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Dual Mass Flywheel Failure?

2018 SS 1LE may have had a dual mass flywheel failure.

Car had 6 inch puddle of thicker than oil spot beneath the trans to engine juncture (800 miles after a shortblock refresh).

Next drive, nothing.

Next drive oil residue under the same location as well as within the bellhousing (seen thru the rear facing ventilation holes on the bottom).

Then chassis dynoed the car and nothing underneath (1400 miles).

Oil would certainly point toward a rear main seal, cover, etc leak. But the 'goo' that initially came out was not engine oil.

I've also noticed the car a bit jerky when on very light throttle off and on play as you cruise in higher gears...almost like there is delay before the drivetrain slacks is taken up.

No slippage at anytime...

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Old 12-19-2023, 02:06 PM   #2
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
There have been pics of the flywheel leaking "oil". I think you are on the right track and it needing a new flywheel. It does contain a viscous fluid and has a dampening effect on the driveline.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:37 PM   #3
Tim M

easttxss: Thanks for the response.

For Christmas, I've ordered a new OEM flywheel/clutch package from Rock Auto...$1150 shipped to Germany. I'm quite happy with the OEM feel and performance so keeping it stock. I'd like to trouble shoot it a bit more, but if I've got to take the trans off - I'm doing something for the effort!

Last edited by Tim M; 12-21-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 01:49 AM   #4
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I did not know the l1e has a DMF, my SS has a twin disk and I'm pretty sure the plate between them has no liquid. If there is no change in clutch feel, I say you have a leak in the rear main seal or the main seal plate and or the bolts to the plate have come loose. trans fluid I think is just red like ATF... but it has been a while.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:39 AM   #5
Tim M

oldman: A rear main seal would be so much cheaper to repair although then our engine build woudn't be leak free - bragging. ;-)

It definitely is a two piece flywheel with some sort of damping element between them. And I'm not referring to the pressure plate and floater setup.

The black goo that I wiped up was far thicker than engine oil...we'll know in a month or two if it was a waste of time. Ha!

Image of the pressure plate clutch pack complete (old):

Old 12-21-2023, 08:59 PM   #6
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
yep I guess so, it does look like a DMF, I know that sucker is heavy. I really like the stock feel and I've been thinking of going with a ZL1 clutch next.... but now maybe a complete clutch flywheel upgrade maybe my thinking...it looks like most / all aftermarket clutches come with a solid light weight flywheel. Like I said I was thinking stock ZL1 but really don't like DMFs (now I have even more reason not to like them).
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 12:22 PM   #7
Tim M

Definitely the flywheel failing...

Laying on 35 degree floor is unpleasant and getting the trans to drop enough to slide out is a royal pain...

Halfway at least!

Old 01-16-2024, 08:56 AM   #8
easttxss

Are you going to try and disassemble the flywheel completely? I would like to see exactly where the fluid leaks from as I have only seen pics like the one you posted above.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
Old 01-16-2024, 09:02 AM   #9
easttxss

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
yep I guess so, it does look like a DMF, I know that sucker is heavy. I really like the stock feel and I've been thinking of going with a ZL1 clutch next.... but now maybe a complete clutch flywheel upgrade maybe my thinking...it looks like most / all aftermarket clutches come with a solid light weight flywheel. Like I said I was thinking stock ZL1 but really don't like DMFs (now I have even more reason not to like them).
The SS and the ZL1 take the same clutch and flywheel.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
Old 01-16-2024, 07:59 PM   #10
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
The SS and the ZL1 take the same clutch and flywheel.
They do not. I see a different part number for the zl1 clutch. Flywheel is the same. While possibly not apples to apples I’ve driven an LT4 in a c7 z06 and it did take slightly more effort to push the clutch in which makes sense since that clutch has to hold more torque.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:49 PM   #11
Tim M

easttxss: I may in the future when our machine shop is open as I don't believe the pieces are designed to be separated.

After sitting overnight...quite a mess:

Old versus new:

Flywheel weight:

Going back together this weekend...but snow on the ground means another 6 weeks! That trans is a pain to remove...
Old 01-19-2024, 08:05 AM   #12
easttxss

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
They do not. I see a different part number for the zl1 clutch. Flywheel is the same. While possibly not apples to apples I’ve driven an LT4 in a c7 z06 and it did take slightly more effort to push the clutch in which makes sense since that clutch has to hold more torque.

You are correct. I looked them up but something must not have switched over when I changed engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer