Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-19-2022, 05:02 PM   #1
Mavrick81

Drives: 2017 Prius, 2018 Armada
ZL1 not 50 state compliant?

I live in WA state and found a ZL1 in Indiana. We had agreed on a price, but then another employee overheard where I live and stated that they couldn't sell the car to me as they wouldn't be able to register it due to emission requirements in WA. They are saying they order the car with the FE9 code, whereas WA (among other states) requires the car to have codes NB8, NB9, or NC7. I am not sure what any of these codes mean, but I thought all cars nowadays are sold as 50 state compliant. Is that not the case?
Mavrick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 05:10 PM   #2
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
No, some states like California and I guess Washington have higher standards or restrictions that force manufacturers to make special versions or options to comply. One I am aware of is the Copper Free Brake Kit Option, that's possibly one of the three codes you have.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
its the brakes
Old 10-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
Mavrick81

I Knew about the copper free brakes, but this seems specific to emissions which caught me off guard. They are checking with thier Chicago office to confirm, so I guess all I can do is hope it was a mistake.

The reason I don't think it is due to the brakes is screenshot she sent of the codes has other stated besides WA and CA listed.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick81 View Post
I Knew about the copper free brakes, but this seems specific to emissions which caught me off guard. They are checking with thier Chicago office to confirm, so I guess all I can do is hope it was a mistake.
Must be a mistake, emissions are the same. No extra cats or tunes or anything else required.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #6
Mavrick81

Attached are the two screenshots they sent me which show the requirements, and what was ordered.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2022, 05:47 PM   #7
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Emissions RPO YF5 for CA and NE1 for WA

https://corvettemuseum.org/wp-conten...fo_MechEqp.pdf
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:13 PM   #8
Mavrick81

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Emissions RPO YF5 for CA and NE1 for WA

https://corvettemuseum.org/wp-conten...fo_MechEqp.pdf

Does Chevy really produce different versions of the same vehicle based on emissions? I don't want to get into the politics, but that just seems ridiculous from a business standpoint. Why go through headache and hassle of keeping track of different versions when you could just produce one version that is compliant everywhere.

If this really is the case, does anyone know what the actual difference is between the two versions?
Old 10-19-2022, 09:23 PM   #9
Grimlock212

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 1LE, Volvo V70R
I know a person who bought brand new 2022 ZL1 1LE in Texas and brought it directly to California with no issues. If the emissions were different he would have had to have waited 2 years and some amount of miles (10K maybe?) based on California laws. So unless this is something new for 2023, or something Washington specific, I don’t think you should have any issues getting one out of state.

In California you’d have to SMOG test the car and pass, and then have the DMV inspect the car prior to getting the license plates. I recently went through this process on an SS 1LE with no issues.
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:53 PM   #10
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post
I know a person who bought brand new 2022 ZL1 1LE in Texas and brought it directly to California with no issues. If the emissions were different he would have had to have waited 2 years and some amount of miles (10K maybe?) based on California laws. So unless this is something new for 2023, or something Washington specific, I don’t think you should have any issues getting one out of state.

In California you’d have to smog test the car and pass, and then have the DMV inspect the car prior to getting the license plates. I recently went through this process on an SS 1LE with no issues.
Yes, this is true as I did the same for a new 2002 Camaro that I bought from a dealer in PA in 2003.

The main difference between a built for CA car (RPO YF5) and an out of state car is really within the vehicle labeling. California requires specific phrases on the GVWR label. That being said, the car can still be registered in CA provided that the GVWR label (or emmissions label) has text that includes "and California".
Because all 2002 Camaro models were actually 50 state emissions vehicles, CA still required that "and California" had to be somewhere on the label in order to pass the visual registration inspection. Also, the car had to be emissions tested.
Also, because the "Certificate of Origin" document for that car was written in the PA dealership's name, I had to get the car smogged in CA.

For my 2014 ZL1, I placed the order in PA with a dealership that was then known as Tom Henry Chevrolet (since sold to another dealer family)
On that order, I specifically included CA emmissions RPO YF5 hoping to not have to emissions check the car at registration time.
Even though it was a bona-fide CA emissions car, I still had to do the emissions check due to the aforementioned "Certificate of Origin" being in the PA dealership's name.
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:09 PM   #11
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Does Chevy really produce different versions of the same vehicle based on emissions? I don't want to get into the politics, but that just seems ridiculous from a business standpoint. Why go through headache and hassle of keeping track of different versions when you could just produce one version that is compliant everywhere.

If this really is the case, does anyone know what the actual difference is between the two versions?
Dealers in WA and CA have to conform to each states regulations when they are ordering cars. The recent legislation mandating copper free pads in the two states is another example. It's curious though Ford's fed emissions seem to fly in 50 states. Back in the day you couldn't get the "good" motor and three pedal option on a Camaro in CA, we have always been the most restrictive realtive to emissions and Wash now seems to mirror all Cali's legislation on cars.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:18 PM   #12
Mavrick81

Attached is the VECI label from the car. It does reference CA, although I have no idea what the class/std codes mean. It doesnt mention anything about being 50 state or CA compliant, but I am hoping the fact that it references CA on the sticker is sufficient.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #13
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Attached is the VECI label from the car. It does reference CA, although I have no idea what the class/std codes mean. It doesnt mention anything about being 50 state or CA compliant, but I am hoping the fact that it references CA on the sticker is sufficient.
From https://greenercars.org/greenercars-...ipe-emissions:
California Phase III Low-Emission Vehicle Standards
These are the current low-emission vehicle standards for light duty vehicles; they are more stringent than previous phase II low-emission standards and increases the durability requirements for emission controls. LEV III standards were adopted in 2012 with a phase-in period from 2015 through 2025. Emission categories are based on the sum of NMOG+NOX similar to federal Tier 3 standards.

LEV160: low-emission vehicle; least-clean LEV III standard where NMOG+NOX emission are 160 mg/mi
ULEV125, 70, 50: ultra-low-emission vehicle; progressively cleaner LEV III standards
SULEV30: super-ultra-low-emission vehicle; Fleet average NMOG+NOX emissions much reach 30 mg/mi by 2025
SULEV20: progressively cleaner super-ultra-low-emission vehicle
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:46 PM   #14
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock212 View Post

In California you’d have to SMOG test the car and pass, and then have the DMV inspect the car prior to getting the license plates. I recently went through this process on an SS 1LE with no issues.
Hello Bill! If you’re referring to me, it’s worth noting that I specifically had ordered the car with CA emissions and copper-free brake system, just to be safe

It does seem like the brakes are not an issue with DMV inspection, but they did take a look at the sticker under my hood, so there was something on there they were looking for hehehe.

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote