Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #43
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
When you can get the same or better performance out of the Camaro for 40, paying 60 isn't a bargain.
In general... sub 4 second d to 60 car used to be super car range. I have yet to see a Camaro SS get under 4 seconds though.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #44
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
...my RS is completely stock and is one of the nicer cars out there.in fact ive won a couple of car shows with it locally without the "benefit" of decals or strobe lights,which are kind of like painting a moustache on the mona lisa.and ive seen a few SS models decked out with that crap too.
I still dont get why or how people win awards at car shows with factory built assembly line cars unless they are completely customized.

Is it a trophy for picking out the color, signing the check, and maybe washing the car and shining the tires?

I build hot rods and custom cars, so when my cars win trophies it means that someone appreciated my hard work, design, attention to detail, etc.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #45
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
I still dont get why or how people win awards at car shows with factory built assembly line cars unless they are completely customized.

Is it a trophy for picking out the color, signing the check, and maybe washing the car and shining the tires?

I build hot rods and custom cars, so when my cars win trophies it means that someone appreciated my hard work, design, attention to detail, etc.
I'm sure you do great work but you also have to admit there are a lot of really awful custom jobs out there that I'm sure people are sick of seeing.

If it came down to a bone stock clean V6 RS and some crazy over the top custom SS with crap like Lambo doors, ugly paint, or lowered air ride over 22" gangster wheels believe me I'd vote for the stock RS every day and twice on Sunday.

You don't do that crap to Camaros do you?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Many shows will have a category for stock and judge based on clean and condition...if you put the effort into "shine", it can pay off. We have one like that at the Camaro Fest, in fact. There are many other categories for modifications, as well.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #47
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:

i really dont know "why" my car was picked but this is a local show with separate classes for different years,including 90s on up which is where the newer cars are placed.this is my first new car,all my others were bought as old used clunkers and field cars and then restored as time and money would allow.my 1966 pontiac and 67 mustang taught me to weld,do bodywork and install factory type upholstery so i do appreciate hard work and attention to detail,but im not sure i appreciate your attitude.i would like to point out that my car was selected over a couple of C6 corvettes and a few other 5th gen camaros,so maybe i did something right...little extra armor-all on the tires,maybe?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #48
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I'm sure you do great work but you also have to admit there are a lot of really awful custom jobs out there that I'm sure people are sick of seeing.

If it came down to a bone stock clean V6 RS and some crazy over the top custom SS with crap like Lambo doors, ugly paint, or lowered air ride over 22" gangster wheels believe me I'd vote for the stock RS every day and twice on Sunday.

You don't do that crap to Camaros do you?
eh its more of a participation trophy lol we do car shows with our two 57 bel airs and its still the same concept. and the trophy wall has 50+ plaques. Im yet to see a single Camaro with "lambo" doors painted and 22s on it lol... neons yes, ugly ass decals that everyone has like racing stripes and above the front wheels.. yes. to each is own but normally cars like that doesn't win more than a participation trophy.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #49
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
I haven't read all of the other posts but isnt the SS 1LE essentially the camaro "grand sport"??

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #50
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
I haven't read all of the other posts but isnt the SS 1LE essentially the camaro "grand sport"??
if you look at it corvette wise the grand sports are on the lower end compared to the z06/zr1s so really the ss is like the grand sport, 1le is more like a zo6 (minus having no difference in HP) and the zl1 to the zr1. its a far reach but just painting the smaller picture lol
Old 01-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #51
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i really dont know "why" my car was picked but this is a local show with separate classes for different years,including 90s on up which is where the newer cars are placed.this is my first new car,all my others were bought as old used clunkers and field cars and then restored as time and money would allow.my 1966 pontiac and 67 mustang taught me to weld,do bodywork and install factory type upholstery so i do appreciate hard work and attention to detail,but im not sure i appreciate your attitude.i would like to point out that my car was selected over a couple of C6 corvettes and a few other 5th gen camaros,so maybe i did something right...little extra armor-all on the tires,maybe?
Nothing personal against you or your car, was just a blanket statement and my opinion about trophies for essentially stock production new cars. You can't help it if you get a trophy.

I wouldn't doubt if my 1LE gets a trophy here and there, but I darn sure won't brag about it as I had nothing to do with it other than pick it out, pay for it, and wash it once in a while. The trophy should go to GM and the Camaro team. ;-)

I can tell you that nothing pi$$es hot rodders and custom car owners off more than having brand new production cars win trophies over their cars that they designed, built, and poured tons of cash, blood, sweat, and tears into. Not such a big deal for shows with specific categories. However I remember a show that me and my classic car club buddies attended that had limited categories. My extremely custom, pro touring LS powered Chevelle that I spent 4 years building and boat loads of cash and a few of my buddies' similarly top quality rides were placed into the High Performance Custom class. This was a judged show. None of us even placed but the top two in the class were a brand new, stock Viper with some strobe lights and a stuffed snake sitting on the engine and a brand new Mustang GT350 still with paper plates (not sure what was custom about it). Lots of congrats going to those guys for such a great job... Lol Uh, congrats on writing those checks and shining up those tires I guess. Rigged I tell ya! Lol
Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #52
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
eh its more of a participation trophy lol we do car shows with our two 57 bel airs and its still the same concept. and the trophy wall has 50+ plaques. Im yet to see a single Camaro with "lambo" doors painted and 22s on it lol... neons yes, ugly ass decals that everyone has like racing stripes and above the front wheels.. yes. to each is own but normally cars like that doesn't win more than a participation trophy.
Except they Do! Big huge trophies too! Lol as I'm sire you know, many of the local shows are about who ya know too.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #53
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
if you look at it corvette wise the grand sports are on the lower end compared to the z06/zr1s so really the ss is like the grand sport, 1le is more like a zo6 (minus having no difference in HP) and the zl1 to the zr1. its a far reach but just painting the smaller picture lol
I disagree. The 1LE is nearly the exact same concept as the Grand Sport. Components including suspension, brakes, styling cues, etc. derived from the higher model without any engine upgrades. I see it like this: 1LE = Grand Sport, Z06 = ZL1, ZR1 is stand alone or equivalent to a super Camaro that doesn't exist yet or maybe Z28? Or maybe the Z28 if they make a 6th gen?

Regardless, there's no doubt that the 1LE is the Camaro version of the Grand Sport.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #54
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
I disagree. The 1LE is nearly the exact same concept as the Grand Sport. Components including suspension, brakes, styling cues, etc. derived from the higher model without any engine upgrades. I see it like this: 1LE = Grand Sport, Z06 = ZL1, ZR1 is stand alone or equivalent to a super Camaro that doesn't exist yet or maybe Z28? Or maybe the Z28 if they make a 6th gen?

Regardless, there's no doubt that the 1LE is the Camaro version of the Grand Sport.
Agreed! To me the standard SS compares to the Z51 without the tires. So I added the tires/wheels, well almost. What is weird to me is that very few people realize just how good the standard SS is. It is directly comparable to the 5th gen 1LE out of the box in handling. And it includes brake ducts, totally awesome cooling on everything, and a very stout drive train.

Unless you are serious about tracking or just want something special you don't really "need" the 1LE. Still it is very cool. All the standard SS needs is more power. And it is ready for it. I think Chevy has all of the Camaro performance variations well covered except for those who want more NA power. Now if we could just see out of it. I think that discourages Camaro sales more than anything now that that the Mustang has even exceeded Chevy pricing. They have to pay $3K just to match the (Z51) SS.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #55
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Repackaging is still probably the only way we'll see a 1LE with an automatic. Because the Grand Sport can have everything a Z06/Z07 can have minus the blower, the 1LE isn't a true blower-less ZL1.

Remember that before the 1LE wasn't even offered on the 2SS until recently, but still doesn't allow for the automatic transmission. The Grand Sport offers eLSD on both drivelines, why not the Camaro?

More Grand Sports are purchased with an automatic. I think GM can continue their higher ATP goals by lowering the base configs in features and price, repackaging and allowing higher configuration combinations to be ordered.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #56
Kise

Quote:
Except they Do! Big huge trophies too! Lol as I'm sire you know, many of the local shows are about who ya know too.
amen to that haha. it depends what kind of categories they have for sure.