Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
Jordan 1SS

Drives: 14 Camaro SS
High idle out of gear

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, usually don't need to as for specific help cuz I can usually find it cuz someone else has already posted well... That's not the case with this or as far as I can tell.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378508

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531887

These are the 2 forums I found that seem to actually resemble my issues and I don't see a clear conclusion other than one guy was able to just drive it officer time.

So here's the deal, I got a 14 ss m6 car that when I pull it out of gear going down the road the idle will shoot up to 2000 rpm and hold but as soon as I press in the clutch it idles down or if I come to a stop it will idle down. It never used to do this and it started this after I cleaned my air filter. I've driven it like that for probably 3k miles now and some times it seems to be better and idle a little lower or take longer to get to the 2000 rpm. In that time I've cleaned the MAF which almost seems to have made it more aggressive as how fast it gets up to rpm now. I've checked for vac leaks, unplugged the MAF to see if it would run different and nope still did it, new filter on it now no difference.

Before all this it used to idle at about 900 consistently and surge or rev itself like short blips on decel but smoothed to a normal idle after like 3 or 4 revs.

Car has cam, header and cold air intake, I bought the car like that don't know exact specs.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer, thank in advance
Jordan 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Sounds like it might be in the tune. There are parameters in the tune for softening the rpm fall so you don't fall right past idle and stall. Why It has changed I am not sure. When I push in my clutch when coming to a stop my RPM will fall to about 1200 for a couple seconds then fall to normal idle I can't remember the term for it off the top of my head but if everything else is in working order the tune likely needs tweaking. You may be locked out of the PCM though.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I agree with Greenhornet2. It is most likely in the tune. Whoever did it most likely put too much fuel in. So the cam will surge and rpm will hang.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Jordan 1SS

I got a friend at work who told me something similar and gave me the info of a tuner guy he knows and trust that I will have check it out. I may wait til I get some new go fast parts before I do that so I can really get my money out of it unless this guy is willing to keep it cheap because it's not a full retune. I've always be a little skeptical of my tune because the car does do weird things from time to time and back fires Thur the intake more than I think would be normal for a cammed up ls. I mean my truck is a cammed up sbc with a manual trans and in similar situations it won't back fire Thur the intake.

Well I will definitely look into it and appreciate the help, if no one else pitches any ideas in then I will definitely report with any finding I gather
Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
If not a mechanical issue, it's likely one of, or some combination of: throttle follower torque, airflow final minimum, proportional idle, integral idle. If you have a device to get a data log and/or pull the tune it would help to diagnose, but any competent tuner should be able to fix it (assuming it's not mechanical).

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
Greenhornet2

You definitely shouldn't be backfiring through the intake. You can call Jannetty and talk to ted but if you don't have the programmer that was used for programming I am not sure how far you can get. You will need a tuning device, Ted uses HPTuners or SCT I am pretty sure.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 02-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I would start with an idle relearn

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
Jordan 1SS

I was going to try an idle relearn just hadnt gotten to it. What the process for it? I saw some where said key on for 3 min then off for 3 then on for 3 then off for 3 then start and let run. Is that correct?
Old 02-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
Jordan 1SS

So I just got home from work and it did something new and weird, so it didn't seem to rev as high and some parts of my drive actually seemed like it was acting normal again. That is until I got off the highway then at stop lights it started to stumble a little bit some times so far that I thought it might stall but it kept saving its self and trying to idle at a normal rpm, once I got home I popped the hood to see the air filter I had installed last night had fallen off. It was a cheap k and n kinda that just kinda made it on the pipe, my old one was in bad shape so I just threw it on for not. Got me wondering if that ponts more at a sensor again or maybe the air filter itself

My thoughts being that this car has done the same thing almost exactly everyday for the last couple months and then I mess with the filter then it starts to do something different, also that messing with the filter is what seems to have been what started this in the first place.

Last edited by Jordan 1SS; 02-12-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #10
Greenhornet2

Make sure you don't have leaks. Stumbling and high idling arw indicative of vacuum leaks, as well as backfiring through the intake.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
ive never heard of that procedure. usually driving it for a good 40 minutes will do it.....BUT
if you are backfiring through the intake ( i think i may have missed that detail before i responded) im not too sure what if thats your solution

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
Jordan 1SS

So I understand why a vacuum leak can create a high idle but it's weird that it doesn't high idle all the time but only part of the time, The throttle body can only close Soo far. I've driven the car with a vac leak before and it threw lean codes and a mas code right away and ran differently than what I had experienced today. I'm gunna check all of the hoses again just in case.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Jordan 1SS

I bought the proper filter for my intake so in a few days we can see if that does anything, don't have high hopes but it's something I'm able to make happen quickly

Also I've scheduled to meet with a tuner on Friday afternoon

Last edited by Jordan 1SS; 02-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #14
Greenhornet2

The backfiring through the intake is suspect. Air filter won't matter that much people run without them when they drag race. It could be in the tune if you're sure there are no vacuum leaks. The iac might have enough compensation to bring the idle back down if its not a huge leak. It should throw codes, but when things get tuned there's a lot of things that can be fudged so no check engine light comes on. The term i was looking for before wa dashpot, the rate the rpms fall back ro idle and such. I dunno if theres a different name for that now though.