Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #29
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
He can get an A10 on an SS. I don't know how this thread turned into a "GOTTA get a ZL1-1LE" thread, but I'm not surprised.

OP said he is coming from a 392 charger which was fun but he wants *a little more power*...he wants the ability to do track days but also take the car for mountain road-trips on the weekend. He likes the look of the ZL1-1LE but isn't sure about spending 70k, and he admires the SS-1LE for being cheaper and nearly as much fun. He asked "do we even NEED a ZL1?" I did not hear him ever say, "I need to have the fastest lap times on the track bar none and I need to have the hyper-track focused model for sure."

He owns a shop and has the ability to do whatever work he wants to do. Clearly the OP enjoys building cars. So, it seems entirely reasonable, in my estimation, to recommend a 2020 SS with the A10, which from the factory can be tracked (with a brake fluid change). Lets remember he is new to tracking vehicles. Entirely reasonable, then, to build that SS into the car he wants, the suspension he wants, the brake pads he wants, the wheels. And then if he wants forced induction, he can do it.

OP you were told that you can make a ZL1 faster for less money than an SS, and you responded that that sounded good and you should probably go with a ZL1. To that I would say, what happened to everything you said in post #1? A ZL1-1LE is not a fun weekend mountain road trip car. Sorry, it just isn't and people shouldn't pretend it is. I still maintain that you could do very well with a 2020 ss w/ A10 and then see how you like the car, and build it how you want. It might even be more fun since you obviously like to build cars. Just an alternative point of view here.

Last edited by protovack; 09-09-2019 at 09:45 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #30
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Whatever he wants to do! It’s up to him!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #31
Krawl

Drives: Looking...
Sorry guys. Got busy last night and read everything just didnt have time to respond.

Main duties will be on road. If I am lucky track it 3-4 times a year. I see the point about a built ZL1 1LE for the track would not be a great on road, daily setup but that wont be the case... for now.

It was never a have to have a ZL1 thread. I honestly was looking in that direction first. I know it will a FI car wither we buy it or build it. I just want to do it right and mindful of the cost. So, if the ZL1 is the way to go, I am good with that.

The 392 though is not going anywhere... and it is not mine. LOL it is my Wife's. She loves that car but loves the Camaro too. That is why we are leaning more toward a auto.

-Krawl
Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #32
LT4Greg

That’s what I was trying to convey to some folks with my replies but my ideas were taken as promoting ZL1s. That was not my intent Krawl. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get!
Old 09-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #33
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Mag ride is seriously good, coil overs are overkill if it's not going to be a mainly track car.

I think the ZL1 would be the car for you. If you're eventually going to boost it, the SS has cast pistons that tend to go around the 650-700hp mark. ZL1 is already set up and pretty easy to get into the 700+ rwhp range. And it'll let you choose if you want the A10 or M6.

ZL1 convertible doesn't get the ELSD, if you're thinking about a 'vert.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #34
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
You can make an SS 1le even better going fbo and gaining no weight, or if your willing to spend the cash, make it a heads cam car, or 416/427 if you can swing it.

If you're going with big boost no matter what then get a zl1 for the forged internals and be done with it.

Also if you want an a10 and not a manmission then don't even consider an SS 1le.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #35
Krawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
That’s what I was trying to convey to some folks with my replies but my ideas were taken as promoting ZL1s. That was not my intent Krawl. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get!
Thank ya. Yeah I just have to get rid of one of my Jeeps! Thanks for the help and I have found a couple of the 2019 A10's in the ZL1 1LE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Mag ride is seriously good, coil overs are overkill if it's not going to be a mainly track car.

I think the ZL1 would be the car for you. If you're eventually going to boost it, the SS has cast pistons that tend to go around the 650-700hp mark. ZL1 is already set up and pretty easy to get into the 700+ rwhp range. And it'll let you choose if you want the A10 or M6.

ZL1 convertible doesn't get the ELSD, if you're thinking about a 'vert.
No go on the vert. Just dont like that idea and it being on the track. Plus, all our Jeeps are verts and they leak! LOL Also not a fan of the CO's on the road? Why? Just wondering. One of my Jeeps runs CO's and it is on the road all the time. I am guessing it is just a stiffer setup?... which I can see for track use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
You can make an SS 1le even better going fbo and gaining no weight, or if your willing to spend the cash, make it a heads cam car, or 416/427 if you can swing it.

If you're going with big boost no matter what then get a zl1 for the forged internals and be done with it.

Also if you want an a10 and not a manmission then don't even consider an SS 1le.
Yeah. I think the ZL1 is the way to go. It puts me in a good power range and easy to upgrade down the road. I dont need a TON of power like 1000hp. I could see it if I was drag racing but I am not. No real want to do that.

-Krawl
Old 09-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #36
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If it were me, I'd buy a "standard" ZL1 and build it. The LT4 has forged internals that the LT1 does not and the ZL1 has upgraded expensive fueling parts that would assist in making some serious power.

As for the A10 vs M6 discussion, that's up to you. Both are great and fun in their own right. You'll be faster in an A10, but there's nothing like banging gears in a manual car.

Good luck in whatever decision you make. I'm sure the thing will be wicked fast whichever direction you go.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #37
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
Also not a fan of the CO's on the road? Why? Just wondering. One of my Jeeps runs CO's and it is on the road all the time. I am guessing it is just a stiffer setup?... which I can see for track use.

-Krawl
Quite the difference between off road coilovers and a street setup. Any coilover designed as an upgrade for the Camaro will be track focused, and stiff. Mag ride is seriously good, and unless you're building a race car I don't see any reason to get rid of it.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #38
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
Ah! They have yet to do a SS 1LE Auto, correct? I was not aware of the 2019 Auto ZL1 1LE. Thank you.

See... do I NEED that? I can but that is where I am at. In my world, we buy the cheaper end Jeep and throw a money at it to upgrade and build it to what we want/need. Then, by the time we have put $10-15K, we have a nicer Jeep than the high end ones on the lot. Is it the same with the Camaro? Can we take a SS (1LE or not I dont know), throw $10K at it and have a nicer track setup than the ZL1?

-Krawl
You'll save some money if you buy a SS 1LE and add the mods yourself.

You need to be aware that the ride of a ZL1 1LE is very harsh. Much more harsh than the standard ZL1 and even the SS 1LE. Test drive one before you buy because I've seen several folks that bought a ZL1 1LE before driving it and were ready to trade out of it because of the ride. Some folks don't mind it but for someone that's not going to track it, it can be hard to live with on a daily basis.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #39
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
IMO, SS 1LE or the new C8 Vette if you have ZL1 money.

ZL1 is not going to be better vs the SS 1LE for autocross and will go through brakes and tires much faster on track. I can't imagine "needing" ZL1 power on the road.

One more consideration: I'd also consider a '19 SS 1LE as it's ABS system has been refined for track driving/autox vs previous models. Google "ice mode" for more info. Probably not an issue for most, but if you get into it and are competitive it may bother you with '17s and maybe even '18s.

Last edited by DaveC113; 10-21-2019 at 09:59 PM.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #40
Krawl

Okay bringing this back the top. More questions to follow...

The "ICE" issue from what I have learned went away on the 2019 and 2020... but I could be wrong.

We have now drove a ZL1 and a ZL1 1LE. Do you know how HARD it is to get a dealer to allow you to test drive one? Told it was Chevy policy but find that as BS. We did drive them though. The 1LE tou can tell IS setup for the track. Much stiffer suspension but from what we are used to, not bad. The Mag Ride on the ZL1 was nice and so was the selectable modes. Overall, like the look and feel of the 1LE.

Now finding what we want to the T is a little difficult. Ideally we want. ZL1 1LE, white, A10, with PDR. We are in talks with 2 different deals but not 100% what we want. Deal one is a used ZL1. It is a 2018 but a non 1LE. Deal 2 is a new 2020 1LE but does not have PDR!

So on the PDR is it worth it or will I not miss it? I have 4 or 5 GoPros but is it the same? Do I need it??

20q8 used versus 2020 new. The only thing on the 2018 with 1168 miles is the warranty. Should we be concerned or just go for the 2020? Pricing is about $12k difference in the 2. Interested and all honestly does not make the payments that much different (but we plan on overpaying the payments to get it done sooner).

So we are not sure which way to go. PDR and warranty...?

Thanks guys...

-Krawl
Old 10-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #41
LT4Greg

Krawl, if it was me I would go with the 2018 and save a bunch of money! The 36mo/36,000 mile warranty is still good on it since it only has about 1200 miles and you still have the drivetrain 5 year/60,000 mile warranty too! I have never used my PDR yet and probably won’t because I don’t track mine but in my opinion you have those go pros that you can use if you do go on a track event. If you really like a ZL1 1LE then by all means go that route. You know as they say it ain’t rocket science! Get the car that makes you happy and puts a big smile on your face when you get in to drive!��
Old 10-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #42
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I like the PDR for reviewing between track sessions within an hour or two after the video was recorded but if you are comfortable processing/combining the GoPro video with telemetry after the event manually then GoPros will have better video quality. If you want a dashcam, PDR doesn't work very well for that; better to buy a dedicated one with higher resolution.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote