Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
scooby1361

Drives: 2016 1SS Camaro Hyper Blue
I just purchased SS OEM Leather Take Off's Need help with OEM dash button...

Hello all. I just purchased OEM SS Leather Skin take off's on EBAY. Feel pretty fortunate to find the exact color match and striping as my cloth interior. I'm going to have the local shop install them. I'm also going to have them install heated seats as well. Any ideas on how I can go about purchasing the OEM Heated Seat Control toggle for the dash? I can see a blank filled option on my dash, was hoping to use the OEM switch / look to activate the seats.

Any help greatly appreciated!

-Scoob
scooby1361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
i doubt thats gonna happen using the same function as factory and if going that route almost certain someone at a dealer would have to mess with the programming to get it work.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Not being hugely up on what seat heat tech is at these days I would concern myself with amperage and access to the 12v system, the controls size will dictate the logistics of where the switch can go..best of luck
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #4
scooby1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
Not being hugely up on what seat heat tech is at these days I would concern myself with amperage and access to the 12v system, the controls size will dictate the logistics of where the switch can go..best of luck
Thanks for the input. Found the part number for the replacement dash strip that has the seat heater button control. A buddy of mine seems to be confident that he can get it to go- I'll post an update in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:44 AM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby1361 View Post
Thanks for the input. Found the part number for the replacement dash strip that has the seat heater button control. A buddy of mine seems to be confident that he can get it to go- I'll post an update in the next couple of weeks.
You obviously have either a 1LT or a 1SS. The "2" level trims with heated seats are completely different. The "strip" part number you have from the 2 trim includes dual climate control - your car has single zone climate control. Completely different connectors, harnesses, etc. Also since the heated seats from the factory can turn on with remote start, they are activated through the ECM - 1 trim and 2 trim Camaros have completely different ECMs.

In short it's not going to work. Your friend doesn't understand modern cars. Frankly if he thinks he can "give it a go" I wouldn't let him within 20 feet of my car.

Adding heated seats you will need to install your own switches, relays, wiring. It can be done by someone who does know what they're doing, just not with the factory parts from the "2" trim level.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
6spdhyperblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You obviously have either a 1LT or a 1SS. The "2" level trims with heated seats are completely different. The "strip" part number you have from the 2 trim includes dual climate control - your car has single zone climate control. Completely different connectors, harnesses, etc. Also since the heated seats from the factory can turn on with remote start, they are activated through the ECM - 1 trim and 2 trim Camaros have completely different ECMs.

In short it's not going to work. Your friend doesn't understand modern cars. Frankly if he thinks he can "give it a go" I wouldn't let him within 20 feet of my car.

Adding heated seats you will need to install your own switches, relays, wiring. It can be done by someone who does know what they're doing, just not with the factory parts from the "2" trim level.
dont even think that switch would be able to run your own custom circuit with a relay.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Seat heaters using the resistance mat use a lot of amperage and have specific controls and fuses/realys.
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
6spdhyperblue

does anyone make logic boards that would enable these types of switches to work with a relay?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
dont even think that switch would be able to run your own custom circuit with a relay.
No. The panel harness is multiplex. Which means the same wire can carry voltage one second and data the next. You try to modify it to do ANYTHING other than how General Motors' engineers intended you can fry the panel or ECM or Lord knows what else inside the dashboard.

If this guy lets his friend try to Jerry rig it he's going to f--k his car up.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post

^ Yeah, this. Just don't do it. Your options, although you may not like it, are to either trade up to a 2SS or just live without heated seats. You're going to cause an electrical fire at worst or fry most of the electronics in your dash at best. Suddenly the price difference for the 2SS will have looked like the cheaper option in retrospect.

Would you sleep at night directly next to a home-made space heater with sketchy wiring? You're basically doing the same thing here, if not worse since your body is in direct contact with the thing...
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
How much was leather? And good look, post results, think I may follow suit, minus heated seats.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #12
scooby1361

Thank you for your replies. I will just have him use the switch that comes with the heated seat kits then. To answer the question on the skins... I was able to purchase them for $900 for all seats. I think its a fair deal for factory leather.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
Seahawkfrost

Drives: 2018 2SS 6MT Hot Wheels Edition
I saw a set on eBay but they were for the convertible and were $800
Seahawkfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #14
scooby1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawkfrost View Post
I saw a set on eBay but they were for the convertible and were $800
Yes. That's the same seller I purchased mine from he had one for the coupe and one for the convertible