Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
FlyinBrian

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2010 camaro stereo fix

I have a 2010 Camaro Synergy Green RS. The factory stereo was removed by an owner before me and an aftermarket scoshe hvac with aftermarket stereo was installed. Before I bought the car the aftermarket stereo was stolen. I attempted to install a factory stereo but it is locked because it is not compatible with my car. It is from a 2011. The dealer says they can order the control panel and cd unit and program for about $1000. But I would like to have the factory set up for much cheaper and do it myself. Are there any ways to hack the 2011 unit I have or what is the cheapest option? I am not sure the hvac works and even if it does I would like to have steering wheel controls and factory settings functional. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
FlyinBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i would not pay that and i removed my factory radio it sucked as far as i was concerned.if you have the pac it should have the steering wheel controls. i got this it's a good inexpensive unit with android auto and bluetooth and all the up to date inputs.or buy 1 from bestbuy and let them install it.this is the one i have and i love it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
travfreed

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Don't know what you paid for the radio. 300? What dash kit was purchased for the install? I know they can run 225 for a good one and it has to be for the Camaro or it won't work properly. Did the installer play or replace the stock Amp? Is it a Boston system? The Boston Amp delivers 3 ohms to the speakers which isn't ideal for great sound using 4 ohm speakers. ........anyway, I see a few stock 2010 Camaro radios online for 60.00? I would just buy a 2010 radio and call it a day. Replacing the stereo in these cars isn't cheap or easy. Radio, dash kit, steering link, antenna link, Amp, speakers = 1500 and up. Not including labor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
travfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfreed View Post
Don't know what you paid for the radio. 300? What dash kit was purchased for the install? I know they can run 225 for a good one and it has to be for the Camaro or it won't work properly. Did the installer play or replace the stock Amp? Is it a Boston system? The Boston Amp delivers 3 ohms to the speakers which isn't ideal for great sound using 4 ohm speakers. ........anyway, I see a few stock 2010 Camaro radios online for 60.00? I would just buy a 2010 radio and call it a day. Replacing the stereo in these cars isn't cheap or easy. Radio, dash kit, steering link, antenna link, Amp, speakers = 1500 and up. Not including labor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
wrong,i did it for 550 with my own labor. not exactly cheap but far from 1500....radio 250,the pac kit was 300 it came with the steering wheel control adaptor antenna,key chime.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Yup. That’s the conclusion a few of us came up with. You actually can get a stock radio reprogrammed or even up upgraded to MyLink but it’s expensive and you’ll still have a dated unit without a lot of new stuff like CarPlay. The PAC unit looks close to stock but there are other kits to also chose from.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
Gen5diy diy can program that 11 radio for about $250/300 to your car then reinstall and your done. I used them but I upgraded to mylink system
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #7
FlyinBrian

Thank you to everyone who responded. The eBay link Looks like it is just for the control panel. According to the dealer locally I have to get both the control panel and rear CD player unit from a 2010 Camaro with the same options my car has. Not sure if that is true or not and the only way I have found to check this is to get the vin from the person selling the camaro parts and give the dealer that with my vin to see if they are compatible. According to the dealer, I will likely still need to have it programmed. I heard that there may be a way to make a non compatible stereo work by breaking off a part inside the rear unit. The downside to this hack is that the stereo would not have memory for presets or clock. Anyone hear about this?
Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
FlyinBrian

Cheap guy, thanks for your reply. I have seen you tube videos on upgrading to my link too. But since I’m trying to do this less expensive, do you know a way I can use my car information to see what I can put in it as a factory replacement? I hate calling the dealer to have them look it up in their system every time.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBrian View Post
Cheap guy, thanks for your reply. I have seen you tube videos on upgrading to my link too. But since I’m trying to do this less expensive, do you know a way I can use my car information to see what I can put in it as a factory replacement? I hate calling the dealer to have them look it up in their system every time.
No problem. Again, if you want to go MyLink, Gen5diy is the way to go from what I read. If you want to go aftermarket at a reasonable cost, you have really three different options. Go check out the audio section of this forum and you’ll get a good idea of what’s a available.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinBrian View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded. The eBay link Looks like it is just for the control panel. According to the dealer locally I have to get both the control panel and rear CD player unit from a 2010 Camaro with the same options my car has. Not sure if that is true or not and the only way I have found to check this is to get the vin from the person selling the camaro parts and give the dealer that with my vin to see if they are compatible. According to the dealer, I will likely still need to have it programmed. I heard that there may be a way to make a non compatible stereo work by breaking off a part inside the rear unit. The downside to this hack is that the stereo would not have memory for presets or clock. Anyone hear about this?
Did you locate the radio that you need? I have a 2010 2SS RS that I replaced the factory radio.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #11
FlyinBrian

I have not yet. The local dealer has been helpful in cross checking to see if other units are compatible with my car when I give them both vins. If you want to connect with me so I can get that information, I will be calling them Monday to check on another one I found.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #12
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Pm what info you need and I’ll get it to you.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
FlyinBrian

2010 Stereo fixed!

Thanks everyone, I did get a factory control panel and receiver programmed to my car. All is working perfectly including the steering wheel controls! I do appreciate all of your comments and directions.