Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
AG Deal and Pinnacle BL Products?

AutoGeek is rocking a 25% sale today, and has the Pinnacle Black Label Line on special as well, I'm considering this to do a full correction and seal of my new whip, has anyone tried these products? Mike Phillips claims this is his newest go-to, but that changes every week I think. . .
Cheers and HNY,
Joel
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
JBinSD

Or maybe this:
https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-c...plete-kit.html

Although I've never done a full ceramic before, it doesn't seem too hard. Do people ceramic their glass as well? Guess I need to do some research. . .
Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
JBinSD

So now a bit confused between "Ceramic" and Silica-based products, I've always associated ceramic with super hard-glossy beautiful-but-dangerous if screwed up, vs. Silica based no worries, spray on wipe off, stuff.

From what I can tell, ceramic is actually silica-based as well. I'm considering this too:
https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-c...plete-kit.html

Any opinions?
Thanx again,
J.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Every Blackfire product I have tried have been outstanding but expensive.

Ceramic products that are <5% SiO2 are applied by spraying on, and spraying off with water.

>5% SiO2 is sprayed on/wiped off

>20% SiO2 is the ceramic coating you are thinking of. It is in a solvent solution and its applied by wiping on/wiping off.

Ceramic is just a big marketing hype. Theres no danger or problems if you mess up applying. If you put on too much you just wet it again with the solvent SiO2 and wipe it off.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
JBinSD

Thanks guys, I bought about $200 worth of BF ceramic products, and took all day polishing and coating. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the Tesla has a Sh**ty paint job, and there is orange peel all over the car.
To topi it off, I somehow have a ton of scratches on the finish, I'm not sure if I caused them by wiping the car down with only 3 MF's, or using only one pad to polish, but its pretty obvious I did something wrong . . sign.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #6
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
Thanks guys, I bought about $200 worth of BF ceramic products, and took all day polishing and coating. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the Tesla has a Sh**ty paint job, and there is orange peel all over the car.
To topi it off, I somehow have a ton of scratches on the finish, I'm not sure if I caused them by wiping the car down with only 3 MF's, or using only one pad to polish, but its pretty obvious I did something wrong . . sign.
You can always start over. Check your towel every time before wiping to make sure there's not a little piece of twig or something stuck in the pile.

Best practice is to change out pads every panel or 2, or at least clean the pad between panels.

Look at it as a learning experience.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
JBinSD

Thanks Kirk. After sleeping (and not) over the process last night, I should have used more pads, more towels, and i used a new BF clay mitt, when stripping I only used dawn as a lube, I'm guessing thats not enough? the clay mitt was definitely more aggressive feeling than the nanoskin I usually use. . .
Old 01-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
KirkH

Quote:
Thanks Kirk. After sleeping (and not) over the process last night, I should have used more pads, more towels, and i used a new BF clay mitt, when stripping I only used dawn as a lube, I'm guessing thats not enough? the clay mitt was definitely more aggressive feeling than the nanoskin I usually use. . .
I like a really slick clay lube personally, so start with some good clay lube, but that's not your problem.

The likelihood is that you had something stuck in your pad or towel. It happens. Mike Phillips always says "inspect each towel before use."

I would order a set of 4-6 nice new HexLogic or Lake Country pads, a pad cleaning brush, some pad cleaner and start over. Clean or change pads every panel. using a new pad and new towel each panel, you can only screw up one area at a time before you notice the problem.

I always say Dawn is for dishes. It has rinse agents that make the plates spot free. Those rinse agents make you think the surface is stripped of wax, but in reality, you add "wax" with dishwashing detergent. That's my opinion based on experience and watching other detailers do tests.

You can also refer to some of my polish job/ceramic coating threads to get an idea of the products that I use. I do this professionally so I don't cut any corners (like using Dawn.)
Old 01-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
JBinSD

Thanks Kirk. Its sunny out so I"m going to drive it today and see if I can "live" with the scratches. Took me about 7 hrs to clay, polish and ceramic x2 yesterday, and I'm not looking forward to the idea of doing it again. . .

I thought Dawn was sufficiently "hardcore" that it would strip well, but not sure it lubed enough. Crazy to self-damage a $65k car, but knowing its fixable helps.

Enjoy the weekend!
Old 01-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #10
KirkH

Quote:
Thanks Kirk. Its sunny out so I"m going to drive it today and see if I can "live" with the scratches. Took me about 7 hrs to clay, polish and ceramic x2 yesterday, and I'm not looking forward to the idea of doing it again. . .

I thought Dawn was sufficiently "hardcore" that it would strip well, but not sure it lubed enough. Crazy to self-damage a $65k car, but knowing its fixable helps.

Enjoy the weekend!
As Mike Phillips says "99% of the public doesn't know swirls from squirrels." I'm sure most people won't notice anything.

Start with one panel and see if you can make 1 panel meet your satisfaction. Then work from there. Ceramic is cheap, polish is cheap, all it takes is time.