Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Krawl

Drives: Looking...
Help the New Guy

Okay need some help. Been racking my brain and have no clue...

Looking to pickup a 6th Gen Camaro. Long story short, I am a off-roader and rock crawler. 10+ years ago, I was big into sport bikes. I was doing track days and looking to get into some racing. Then family, wife, and kids, I had more to live for. So been doing the off-road scene for the past 10-12 years. Always like cars. My wife always wanted a American Muscle car. A year ago, we picked her up a 392 Charger and it has been fun and we have really enjoyed the car. Now I am wanting a little more power!

I am not into street racing. I may do some drag racing but my primary setup would be track days. Thought about looking more into NASA racing and maybe some autocross racing. Then, a fun weekend car to take up through the mountains. Her care will be the fun family show car and this will be the fun race car.

So... not sure what to get! I have over $100K in my Jeep Wrangler. Looking to sell it off or trade it (if anyone is interested). We own a shop so we have just about every tool you could think of. We have been looking hard at the new 2020 ZL1 1LE with the A10 but... do we need to spend $72K? Do we look here and find a used ZL1 1LE manual (since 2020 is the first auto) or do we even need a ZL1? Heck, what about SS 1LE and build it? We like the aggressive styling of the ZL1 1LE but can we build a SS to look like that? We are a ProCharger dealer and can do all the work so do we go the SS route? Do we need a 1LE? Do we look more toward a $30-40K SS and build it?

Just need some help. Not sure why I keep flopping back and forth! LOL so any input would be great! Feel free to ask any questions as well. I know it is just a opinion but I would like to know everyone's thoughts. Thank you...

-Krawl
Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
2019 was the 1st year for the zl1 1le auto. I bought an early 2018 manual for 10k under sticker brand new with 3 miles on it so you should be able to pick up a 2019 auto for 65k or maybe less if you shop hard enough
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Your best bet would be a used SS 1LE if you are planning to mod it with a ProCharger!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
Krawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
2019 was the 1st year for the zl1 1le auto. I bought an early 2018 manual for 10k under sticker brand new with 3 miles on it so you should be able to pick up a 2019 auto for 65k or maybe less if you shop hard enough
Ah! They have yet to do a SS 1LE Auto, correct? I was not aware of the 2019 Auto ZL1 1LE. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Your best bet would be a used SS 1LE if you are planning to mod it with a ProCharger!
See... do I NEED that? I can but that is where I am at. In my world, we buy the cheaper end Jeep and throw a money at it to upgrade and build it to what we want/need. Then, by the time we have put $10-15K, we have a nicer Jeep than the high end ones on the lot. Is it the same with the Camaro? Can we take a SS (1LE or not I dont know), throw $10K at it and have a nicer track setup than the ZL1?

-Krawl
Old 09-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I would say get an SS and build it how you want, or maybe an SS 1LE.
It's a great track car right out of the showroom (except brake fluid)
You could work on it over time. Whether you need the extra power of the supercharged V8 is up to you.
I wouldn't need it. The SS is plenty quick on the track.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
Krawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I would say get an SS and build it how you want, or maybe an SS 1LE.
It's a great track car right out of the showroom (except brake fluid)
You could work on it over time. Whether you need the extra power of the supercharged V8 is up to you.
I wouldn't need it. The SS is plenty quick on the track.
Thank you for the feedback.

What is the main difference between the non and the 1LE's? I know the seats and tires but both are mute points. We are a Corbeau dealer and would swap the seats. The tires, I am sure would get swapped once they wear. Ideally, I would do a track set and a road set anyway. What is the issue with the brake fluid??

Now a stupid question, can you build a SS to look like a ZL1? Just like that supper aggressive style...

-Krawl
Old 09-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
LT4Greg

If you go OEM parts then you would need hood, front fenders, front bumper/facia and other misc parts to make it look like a ZL1! And to me that would be a poser but to each his own. It’s up to you and your budget Krawl what you get but I would get a used ZL1 because you get the supercharger, good looks, suspension etc that you wouldn’t have to add to an SS or SS 1LE and you would be ahead of the game. You can get a used 2017-2018 ZL1 for a good price now and most have lower than average mileage. And the Recaros in the 1LE SS and ZL1/ZL1 1LEs are nice enough not to change out to aftermarket seats.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #8
Zoom

Drives: Summit White 2018 1SS 1LE
The biggest difference between an SS and a SS 1LE is the diff. The 1LE has the ELSD. Everything else can be upgraded in an SS to match the 1LE. IMO better to just get the 1LE and save a little on upgrades. (bigger brakes, HUD, forged wheels, etc)
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I think the 1LE is the biggest bang for the buck if you can afford it. Easier to get that versus an SS and modify it. Get it, be done and enjoy it.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #10
Krawl

Quote:
If you go OEM parts then you would need hood, front fenders, front bumper/facia and other misc parts to make it look like a ZL1! And to me that would be a poser but to each his own. It’s up to you and your budget Krawl what you get but I would get a used ZL1 because you get the supercharger, good looks, suspension etc that you wouldn’t have to add to an SS or SS 1LE and you would be ahead of the game. You can get a used 2017-2018 ZL1 for a good price now and most have lower than average mileage. And the Recaros in the 1LE SS and ZL1/ZL1 1LEs are nice enough not to change out to aftermarket seats.
Good point and I should clarify, I would not make it into a ZL1 1LE, I would just want to make it more aggressive looking... if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
The biggest difference between an SS and a SS 1LE is the diff. The 1LE has the ELSD. Everything else can be upgraded in an SS to match the 1LE. IMO better to just get the 1LE and save a little on upgrades. (bigger brakes, HUD, forged wheels, etc)
ELSD or a LSD? Just not sure on the E. Now, talking diff's, is that something that can be changed out? What about gear ratios? Any need for anything like that? We setup diffs all the time here at the shop so it would not be to far out of our wheelhouse. Also, on the ZL1, with the 1LE there do you gain the larger brakes or are they same? I can see it on the SS's. What are the differences in the ZL1 1LE and non?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I think the 1LE is the biggest bang for the buck if you can afford it. Easier to get that versus an SS and modify it. Get it, be done and enjoy it.
Talking about the ZL1 1LE? Yeah, I like that route. Just wish I could find more A10's. I dont see or have not seen any 2019's like that but have the 2020... with the new price tag as well. Not opposed to going that route and not opposed to the M6 but the wife would have to learn how to drive it. Not to mention, I can't shift as fast as the A10 and I am not sure how much I would enjoy the M6 on long weekend drives. Thoughts?

-Krawl
Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Krawl, I would find a used ZL1 1LE and go from there! ELSD is electronic limited slip differential and the SS1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LEs have it and you can’t add it to an SS. Both models of the ZL1s and the SS 1LEs have the bigger brakes so no upgrade needed there. If you bought the track ZL1 1LE then you could upgrade the supercharger and tires/wheels but everything else on the car is excellent. That would be the best bang for you dollar, the ZL1 1LE.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Keep looking for used ZL1 1LE Camaros. They are out there now! Check all the car selling websites and I’m sure you will find some to choose from!
Old 09-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Hi Krawl.

No one here really emphasized the big important difference between the eLSD and LSD and why you cannot make a regular SS like a 1LE SS so I thought I'd chime in.

From my understanding (and I could be wrong) - the eLSD would be impractical to retrofit into a regular SS due to all of the electronics, traction control, pcm changes, ect that would need to be done.

I don't know how it is with jeep but the the late model Camaro's have been sold as one complete package where everything is intended to work with another piece and changing those pieces can become nightmarish daunting tasks due to how many other components rely on those pieces and how many of those components you literally 'can't' change without causing problems with how the car works overall.

What exactly are your goals, you mentioned you would not upgrade the SS to a ZL1, but are you going F.I. in the future?

If no, then stick with the SS. If YES, go with the ZL1, although its a bit more expensive, you're already starting off with forged components and fueling to meet the needs of your power goals where as the SS, that would need to be done if you're reaching high which will get more expensive than starting off with the ZL1.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
Krawl

Quote:
Krawl, I would find a used ZL1 1LE and go from there! ELSD is electronic limited slip differential and the SS1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LEs have it and you can’t add it to an SS. Both models of the ZL1s and the SS 1LEs have the bigger brakes so no upgrade needed there. If you bought the track ZL1 1LE then you could upgrade the supercharger and tires/wheels but everything else on the car is excellent. That would be the best bang for you dollar, the ZL1 1LE.
Quote:
Keep looking for used ZL1 1LE Camaros. They are out there now! Check all the car selling websites and I’m sure you will find some to choose from!
Great info! The "E" was throwing me off. Got it now. We just deal with LSD here but the E in this car makes sense. I am starting to agree with you on guys on the ZLE. So what are the main difference in the 1LE and Non? I can find a bunch of the ZLE's... and the 1LE but I cant find the 1LE in the A10 unless we go 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Hi Krawl.

No one here really emphasized the big important difference between the eLSD and LSD and why you cannot make a regular SS like a 1LE SS so I thought I'd chime in.

From my understanding (and I could be wrong) - the eLSD would be impractical to retrofit into a regular SS due to all of the electronics, traction control, pcm changes, ect that would need to be done.

I don't know how it is with jeep but the the late model Camaro's have been sold as one complete package where everything is intended to work with another piece and changing those pieces can become nightmarish daunting tasks due to how many other components rely on those pieces and how many of those components you literally 'can't' change without causing problems with how the car works overall.

What exactly are your goals, you mentioned you would not upgrade the SS to a ZL1, but are you going F.I. in the future?

If no, then stick with the SS. If YES, go with the ZL1, although its a bit more expensive, you're already starting off with forged components and fueling to meet the needs of your power goals where as the SS, that would need to be done if you're reaching high which will get more expensive than starting off with the ZL1.
And yes totally understand! I was just not sure why but I get it. The electronics in the late models are getting harder and harder to deal with. In our world, we take out the stock LSD or the E locker's and trash them. We then swap in a new unit but I can see where that would be tough here. Thank you.

Also, yes I would like to go F.I. at some point. We do them with the Jeeps and think it would be fun on the Camaro platform. I didnt know the internals and the full system was different between the ZL1 and the SS. I can see where it would cost more to do the SS and SuperCharge it. I didnt know what it would consist of other than the ProCharger kit. If we are talking $10-15K, then your right, it would be best just to start with the ZL1 of some sort and go from there.

Anyone know of a used ZL1 1LE Auto? That is like a needle in a haystack...

-Krawl