Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #99
race2win

Drives: 1LT 2.0T
So I finally got the car in for a real alignment last week with good Friend and car wizard Scott Fraser (also a National Champion autocrosser and former SCCA Driver of the Year).

Amazingly, my "garage alignment" outlined in the previous post was almost perfect in front! It had a little too much toe-out, so we dialed it back slightly, but just loosening the strut bolts and forcing everything in worked well.

I attached copies of the before and after specs...before is the print out from the Chevy dealer, these specs are as delivered from Chevy. After is the printout from the Audi dealer.

Summary is the 2.0T can get more than -2.0 degrees of negative camber in the front!! Still not as much as the Ecoboost Mustang can get, but better than the SS Camaro...and better than the FR-S & BRZ which are both in D-Street.

We also dialed in the rear by adding a slight amount of toe-in and more negative camber. Being quick with this car requires early throttle application exiting corners, these specs should tame the throttle-on oversteer that happens when the boost hits

Heading north tomorrow morning for the SCCA Packwood Pro Solo this weekend, I'm excited to see how it feels!
Attached Images

SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
race2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #100
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Similar numbers to what I go out of the SS. I was able to get about -2 degrees exactly on the front.

Looks like you guys run Thursday Friday. Im taking off sometime Thursday but depending when you run I may have to stick around and watch!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #101
dontlifttoshift

Drives: 71 Camaro '18 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by race2win View Post
OK, update time!!

First upgrade on the Camaro was completed a couple weeks ago (been very busy with work lately), new phone/tablet mount! I wanted a good solid mount that would work for my iPhone 6 as well as my LG G-Pad 7.0 7" tablet I use for Solostorm data acquisition.

ProClips has always been highly recommended, however they don't make a cost-effective sleeve for my tablet. So, I ended up building a hybrid mount using a ProClip base for the 2016+ Camaro with specific Ram Mount pieces and an X-Grip holder.

ProClip base here...
http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...maro/2016.cmsv

Ram Mount RAM-B-347U 2x1.7" base (has exact hole pattern to mount in the ProClip base...
https://www.amazon.com/Contains-Univ...ords=ram+mount

Ram Mount RAP-B-201U-A Short Double Socket Arm for 1" ball...
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composi...84VMZ9ENHCT5X9

Ram Mount X-Grip Phone/Phablet holder RAM-HOL-UN10BU, I chose this X-Grip because the smallest unit it will hold is just below an iPhone 6, and the largest is a 7" tablet...
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-X-G...ords=ram+mount

Turned out great I think, haven't autocrossed with it yet but works fantastic as a phone mount. I just loosen the socket arm and rotate the X-Grip and arm 90* to switch between phone and tablet.

Next update coming soon, as Des eluded to I got the 2.0T on the scales the other day and finally received my first big purchase for the car
Thanks for this post, I hope this is all still working for you. Nice job at the Pro and good luck this week.
dontlifttoshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #102
destoups

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE

2017 D Street champ @race2win, getting it done. Note the crooked "1" in the car number — a co-driver's small act of sabotage. If you know Mark, you know this is his Kryptonite.

It didn't work.
destoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #103
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
^ Most impressive, congrats are in order!

I'm surprised it took so long for this to be mentioned on here. Other forums have already thoroughly discussed it.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #104
destoups

Update: Added a turbo Mustang to keep my 2.0T company; a 2018 with performance package and 10-speed automatic. The auto seems to solve the gearing issue (second goes to 46 or so, third to 68 — the manual ran out of 2nd at 57) and paddle shifts are fast and super crisp, though there's no telling how it'll work on course. My previous EB was quite a handful in third, even for @race2win.

PP springs make the car noticeably stiffer than the Camaro, plus OTS Konis are available. Should be able to get -2 or better up front. Wheels are 9s but probably will stick with a 275.

The torque difference down low is pretty apparent. Visited my local testing playground with a buddy who has a Focus RS; from a walk the Focus was up by a nose but we were even by 50 mph. In stock form the Mustang is much more tail happy than the Camaro but hoping a bar and decent tires will cure it.

You can see much better out of the EB as well, but you do feel the extra width and 300 pounds; hoping it's just the super-heavy stock wheels that make it feel so leaden. And the 2.3 sounds ... just awful. Like a pack-a-day smoker trying to run. The Camaro, especially with the straight exhaust, sounds like a sports car.

Back seat is miles better in Mustang, and so is cargo room and loading. More places to put stuff like phones. Camaro has easier to read gauges, and I find myself missing MyLink's Apple / Android capability and easy setup and the automatic climate control.

Will keep both until there's a clear reason to favor one car.

A big thanks to the helpers who talked me out of a WRX. Or a BRZ.

That's the update from D Street HQ.

Last edited by destoups; 12-12-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: pic
Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #105
Scoooter12

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1lt 2.0 White
Des you Traitor!

Kidding, beautiful car and gorgeous color! keep us updated, I'm interested to see how the updated Stang does in D street that 10 speed could be a huge game changer. Maybe we'll start seeing more pony cars this year.

Cheers- Scott
Scoooter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #106
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by destoups View Post
Update: Added a turbo Mustang to keep my 2.0T company; a 2018 with performance package and 10-speed automatic. The auto seems to solve the gearing issue (second goes to 46 or so, third to 68 — the manual ran out of 2nd at 57) and paddle shifts are fast and super crisp, though there's no telling how it'll work on course. My previous EB was quite a handful in third, even for @race2win.

PP springs make the car noticeably stiffer than the Camaro, plus OTS Konis are available. Should be able to get -2 or better up front. Wheels are 9s but probably will stick with a 275.

The torque difference down low is pretty apparent. Visited my local testing playground with a buddy who has a Focus RS; from a walk the Focus was up by a nose but we were even by 50 mph. In stock form the Mustang is much more tail happy than the Camaro but hoping a bar and decent tires will cure it.

You can see much better out of the EB as well, but you do feel the extra width and 300 pounds; hoping it's just the super-heavy stock wheels that make it feel so leaden. And the 2.3 sounds ... just awful. Like a pack-a-day smoker trying to run. The Camaro, especially with the straight exhaust, sounds like a sports car.

Back seat is miles better in Mustang, and so is cargo room and loading. More places to put stuff like phones. Camaro has easier to read gauges, and I find myself missing MyLink's Apple / Android capability and easy setup and the automatic climate control.

Will keep both until there's a clear reason to favor one car.

A big thanks to the helpers who talked me out of a WRX. Or a BRZ.

That's the update from D Street HQ.

Had a feeling this would happen lol
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 12-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #107
destoups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter12 View Post
Des you Traitor!

Kidding, beautiful car and gorgeous color! keep us updated, I'm interested to see how the updated Stang does in D street that 10 speed could be a huge game changer. Maybe we'll start seeing more pony cars this year.

Cheers- Scott
We'll see more pony cars if you start showing up more! See you next spring!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #108
juansheba05

Drives: 2017 V6 1LE
Hi Mark,
Why are the C4 18" wheels not allowed for DS for the RS package 2.0T?
juansheba05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #109
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by juansheba05 View Post
Hi Mark,
Why are the C4 18" wheels not allowed for DS for the RS package 2.0T?
So the rule is you can go up or down one wheel size. Because the RS comes with 20” wheels running 18” wheels would be down two sizes. I mean given the Camaro trim options it’s kinda dumb but I think mark runs 19” now and he’s pretty fast on them.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE

Last edited by apexit53; 04-25-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #110
juansheba05

Drives: 2017 V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
So the rule is you can go up or down one wheel size. Because the RS comes with 20” wheels running 18” wheels would be down two sizes. I mean given the Camaro trim options it’s kinda dumb but I think mark runs 19” now and he’s pretty fast on them.
Got it! Thanks for your reply. #apexit53
juansheba05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #111
Camarão

Drives: 2018 Black LS1 with RS Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
I'm far from an expert, but it's my understanding that if your car came with the base 18' wheels then you could run either a 17' or 19' rim in the same width... If your car was an RS package with the 20' wheels, you could run a 19' or 21' in the same width... You can run as wide a tire that will fit the rims.

Yes the RS headlights are the same as the SS, so HID vs the base level projector style
I got a 2018 RS Package and it came with the 20's ... I would prefer a staggered 19 set for a better grip, what do you think?
2014 Lexus IS250, Auto, F Sport
2010 Mazda 3, 6-Speed, Sport Hatchback
2006 Mazda Miata, 6-Speed Retractable Hardtop
2001 Mazda Protege5, 5-Speed
Camarão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #112
Camarão

Drives: 2018 Black LS1 with RS Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by race2win View Post
Good point, you are correct, there is a stand-alone $800 option on any LT Camaro for 20x8.5" low gloss black wheels. So legally a base car could run any 8.5" wide wheel from 17-21" in diameter...just not sure you would "want" to run 20-21" wheels

I can't speak on if the RS headlights are better from the inside...but they sure look great on the outside!
I find the headlights to be well focused for highway driving, which is helpful when driving in less ideal conditions also. Great projection and not too blueish ...
2014 Lexus IS250, Auto, F Sport
2010 Mazda 3, 6-Speed, Sport Hatchback
2006 Mazda Miata, 6-Speed Retractable Hardtop
2001 Mazda Protege5, 5-Speed
Camarão is offline   Reply With Quote