Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #43
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The clutch pedal is about as useful and about as much fun as unpowered windshield wipers.

I can't imagine settling for a six speed manual when an eight speed auto with paddle shifters is available.
That made me laugh out loud literally. I would say paddles are about as useful as windshield wipers...but that's why we all have our own opinions and why GM offers both an auto and manual...so we can all make that choice.

Either way...if you are unsure...try to spend as much time in both as possible before you make your choice.
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #44
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Don't worry about Eric, people just have strong opinions than others, and this thread is not going to go downhill, unless people get outta hand with their comments. I too want a manual, but always ended up with an auto, mainly due to work. It would be kind of hard talking on the radio while shifting a manual, I even have a difficult time with it while auto shifting on my current car. I know once I retire, I will be getting a manual.
A little off topic, but I see your sig picture. Does HPD still let you use your own car? I'm in Phoenix now but from Hawaii. Used to race HPD at Hawaii Raceway Park in high school when they had the Friday night drags and they would have an HPD Lane so you could race against one on the drag strip. Fun times : )
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #45
mvfjet

Drives: hoopty mustake
Almost everyone I know thinks their paddle shifters is just like driving a manual transmission. "See I can switch my own gears too." Or another good one "well I can't text or check my Facebook while driving with a stick"
mvfjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #46
Z06Vette

Drives: 2009 Z06 ..sold
I too drove the auto today. A 2ss car in dark red, Bergstrom in WI. I came away very impressed with the car, NPP is fantastic..heads and shoulders above my 2009 Z06. I found the lighting in the car a bit goofy & will order a 1ss, npp, 6 speed I think. The 8 speed is fantastic for an auto, I will wait until I can drive the manual b4 I make a final decision but will likely row my own gears again.
Z06Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #47
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonpeterson View Post
Some of us would love to try a manual, but unfortunately for me no one I know has a manual. I don't want to buy a $44K car and not drive it off the lot. If there was a way to learn I would totally do it. I tried looking at every driving school in NorCal and no one teaches you how to drive a manual.
just watch a few YouTube how-to videos. That's what I did back in 2007, then went 3.5 hours away to buy a z28 6-speed and had to drive it to get home. That's the best way to learn man, by doing!
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #48
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonpeterson View Post
Some of us would love to try a manual, but unfortunately for me no one I know has a manual. I don't want to buy a $44K car and not drive it off the lot. If there was a way to learn I would totally do it. I tried looking at every driving school in NorCal and no one teaches you how to drive a manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cautionary tale View Post
I do wish I knew how to drive a manual, my dad drove automatics, so it was natural to me to stick with that formula, u do feel more connected to your vehicle in manual, plus the added horsepower is nice... I have messed with paddle shift a bit, it's ok but I'm afraid of messing something up... and I'm not a huge fan of afm, I bought a v8 to have a v8-all the time!!!! Still great car though.... 2016 summit white 2ss mag ride....
Best way to learn howto drive a stick, buy a $500 beater with a manual. Drive it for a couple weeks. Sell it for $500 when done. Only thing you pay for is registration fees. (Or $1000 or $2000 etc..)

Eric, thanks for the evaluation. I'm really on the fence with the A8 because those few seconds will be great with ProSolo launches, and top of 2nd is at a better, lower speed (65) than the M6 (80). That said, in the M6, I'll be in the meat of the powerband doing 60 in 2nd. Trick is the slow corners... easier to get into 1st with the AT (maybe) than the MT (which will be needed for the low digs).

Decisions decisions.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #49
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
That's how I learned. My dad pointed to his 79 toyoto truck and said 'take that stuff to the dump'. I replied I did not know how to drive manual. He said you will by the time you come back. lol

I am happy with automatics now. Drove enough vehicles with a clutch by now. But so glad there is a choice.
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #50
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post
I hope your teaching your ten year old in your 1LE LOL.
Jeep wrangler in a very large, open, EMPTY parking lot....

Come to think of it though.. Not being able to drive a stick is probably the only thing that kept my older kids from stealing my car.

Evil little things....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #51
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
just watch a few YouTube how-to videos. That's what I did back in 2007, then went 3.5 hours away to buy a z28 6-speed and had to drive it to get home. That's the best way to learn man, by doing!
I was watching some track vids of people driving their 1LE's.. First couple were cool, lots of revving, tach all over the place, wheels squealing, and then there was one of someone tracking an auto.

BORING.

Press gas. Stare at windshield. Listen to elevator music.

It's just wrong.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #52
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Jeep wrangler in a very large, open, EMPTY parking lot....

Come to think of it though.. Not being able to drive a stick is probably the only thing that kept my older kids from stealing my car.

Evil little things....
Same here. Rented Jeep Wrangler when I was about 10 in a large open field on Lanai.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #53
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Press gas. Stare at windshield. Listen to elevator music.

It's just wrong.
The Stig does it?
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #54
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
Smooth is fast. lol
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #55
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I just didn't enjoy the experience of not being able to row my own gears in a car that is not meant to be tame if that makes sense. I enjoy the A8 in my BMW because it's meant to be smooth and deliver power in a linear way. When I'm driving a muscle/pony car, I want it to feel almost unrefined and a bit unpredictable when I slam on the gas. I want the power to be instantaneous and unbridled. I know it's NOT slow, but when I got on the Camaro A8, it didn't feel any faster than my current car. I know it is, but I didn't get the perception of speed. If felt much slower than my M6 99 Camaro SS was and I know it's not. Honestly, I was pretty disappointed when I mashed on the gas and it downshifted and took off. I was expecting 455hp to feel faster. I'm hoping I can get that feeling when I drive the M6 when one comes in.
So the 8 speed auto in he camaro does not compare to bmw's 8 speed auto, even with the paddle shifters?

also switching from bmw to camaro here, how do you like the camaro interior materials and visibility compared to the bmw?
Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #56
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
So the 8 speed auto in he camaro does not compare to bmw's 8 speed auto, even with the paddle shifters?

also switching from bmw to camaro here, how do you like the camaro interior materials and visibility compared to the bmw?
The A8 tranny in the Camaro was wonderful. I would say it is on par with the BMW tranny. It's just not what I want in the Camaro. I just expect and am looking for a different driving experience from a Camaro and the auto didn't fit that bill for me. For others, it's a great option and a great tranny. The best comparison I can make is buying a 4x4 in a truck instead of a 4x2. Both are great but someone who buys the 4x4 has different expectations than someone who bought the 2x4.

The interior is wonderful. It's on par with the BMW except for the sound system. The upgraded Harmon-Kardon system in the Bimmer is unbelievable. Blows the Bose away. Much better than my 99 SS was. The visibility put the back sucks ass but I'm kinda used to it from driving my wife's car sometimes that has crappy visibility.