Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #29
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
These cars are engineered pretty damn well. Everything car has its quirks. Poorly designed as far as some things go like getting the dash out yea. There's a lot of people with no issues. They are head and shoulders above all previous generations. The v6s i don't like, chains stretch. Gm has that problem with all the ohc cars. Throttle can be tuned to be more responsive, or add a throttle controller. If you're done with the car i get it, there are always bad apples. Sell it and buy a 13 SS you'll like that more =)
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #30
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
You did the heater core yourself? I'd like to know if you removed the dash complete like the factory installs them or piece by piece like most people do. They claim the complete assembly way is much easier although I'm not sure how that would be done but they say the factory stuffs the entire dash assembly in in one shot.
i was a GM tech back in 95 and pulled my fair share of dashboards so i felt confident and i did it myself it was a PIA, no windshield removal i posted the youtube link that helped me the most. if i had to pay to have it done it wouldn't have got done the blend door is easy the heater core is rough,you have to remove the seats console and break the ac lines loose so when it's all said and done you also have to recharge the a/c.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #31
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
All cars have problems. Nothing is 100% . You are having some unfortunate things happen but that's how it goes. As far as dealers, they always say they have never seen it before. It isn't just car dealers. I have had machine tool retailers say the same thing even though I know others in my industry that have the exact problem. If I were you, I would just fix the issues and keep driving it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #32
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
so the LS3 and L99 as well as the LS1 hell any LS (5.3)variant go well over 200k no sweat. i had my share of "old school" small block chevy's but the LS motors are the best gm ever made. if you are unhappy with your purchase then by all means get rid of it.my SS had 18500 mi on it when i got it,within 3 months i noticed the heater core was bad so i replaced it and did the blend door because i was already there. i dumped that crappy radio the second week and i am quite happy with it. i have had MANY gm cars the first being a 68 impala i also had a 87 camaro and a 95 firebird,NONE were perfect cars any GM of the 70's and 80's were far from great the 5th gen is the best built so far
My L99 was at 153,300 miles when I blew it up. It was still running the OEM AFM lifters too. It was entirely my fault when it died, as I hydrolocked it running through a large 'puddle'.

When I disassembled the L99 I found the #7 connecting rod was snapped near the crank end and the piston skirt was damaged by the extreme angle of the flopping connecting rod. But other than that, everything else looked amazing. Practically no oil staining (Mobil 1 5w30 EP changed every 4k miles) and the cylinders, crank, and cam looked very good. I feel I could have made it at least another 50-100k miles if I wasn't a moron. But to be completely honest, after I got over 100k miles I really babied it. I felt like I was on borrowed time with those lifters.

I think overall that these cars are very reliable, but like anything else you will get a bad egg once in a while.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:07 AM   #33
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
After owning this 14 Camaro for only 8 months I don't feel comfortable with it. These cars have so many issues from the direct injection to the radio and amp shorting out to the BLEND door breaking off. AC warm then cold back and forth. I can't believe Chevrolet doesn't at least repair the blend doors. I'm looking for something older that may not be as nice but can be to repaired. I just had a experience with water getting into the trunk shorting the amp out. The dealer quoted me over 100 just to look at it! I asked about the blend door repair that they will all need at sometime. They quoted me 2200 to 3500 depending if the windshield has to be replaced! That's absurd!

I wish I had known about all this before paying a premium for a poorly engineered car. I'm truly disappointed such a beautiful car that drives like nothing I've ever driven has all these BS problems just so GM can drain your wallet at the dealer.

Just to add more insult the dealer warned me even AFTER the blend door is replaced it will most likely break again! They didn't even update the parts to last longer! REDICULES!!!!!!!!
So, just so we understand, the only real issue you've had is the amp got wet? You have not, as of yet, had any issue with the direct injection, or the HVAC blend doors? You've just managed to convince yourself that you will have issues with these eventually?

So, based upon the little you bit you've read, or heard from a few people, this is a poorly engineered P.O.S.?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #34
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
The dealer says the GDI is causing the hesitation- lag throttle always feels quirky and undecided , the left frt suspension has a very bad clunk, the ac is cold then warm back and forth, the body vent lets water in and soaks the power amp, the tires wear funny and the dealer says its aligned properly. It also has this weird quirk if you turn the fan control to off before you turn off the ignition the next time you start the car it turns the AC on by itself< now you need to admit that's very odd. It also warns that's its ICEY and its 40 degrees and sunny out! Honestly that probably bothers me the most, I'm driving in busy traffic and a warning comes up distracting your attention from the road. At least you should have the option to turn it off. It also has a weirdo auto down shifting thing going down long grades. It will rev the engine to the moon. The exhaust isn't loud enough, my old 98 Camaro sounded great from the factory.

I was going to buy a v8 but the electric steering on the car I was looking at failed multiple times and that scared me off from looking at any more v8s. salesman warned me they had big problems with some of them and once out of warranty GM wouldn't help.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #35
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
You know years ago the reason engines only lasted 60-100k miles was because the carb was constantly washing down the cylinder walls. <EXACTLY WHAT GDI DOES and all cars will be GDI shortly. Its insanity I tell you pure insanity, the true definition of insanity is GDI!
its kind of odd that my old 400 pontiac got 8 mpg while my camaro gets roughly 22 average.im thinking that the upper intake/valve cleaning is the price you have to pay for getting good fuel mileage and power.mine doesnt use oil between the 5k oil change interval,but maybe i just got a good one.and yes,i remember when the 4th gen camaros/firebirds were brand new.it didnt take the owners long to figure out my 1966 tempest with 400 and headers would hurt their feelings in a straight line,and that was before i got the engine built up.i will admit that i could fix 98% of what went wrong with that car in my driveway.cant do that with any really new car these days.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #36
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Mine uses about 1/2 qt every 2k so about 1 qt between 4k oil changes but WOW is the oil nasty at 4k. Its the nastiest looking oil I ever seen come out of a engine ever. 1st time I seen it I honestly thought something was sweriouly wrong in the engine but the dealer says no they all look like that because GDI washes the cylinders down constantly. Getting away from GDI is at the top of my list.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #37
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Not all V8 cars have electric power steering fyi. I think that’s 12 or 13+. My 2010 doesn’t have it for sure. I think I’d be more worried about the issues that come with the V6 (aforementioned carbon, stretched chains) than I would the electric power steering. The ice warning is temp induced not condition induced, Gm has been doing this for 20+ years on properly equipped vehicles. If a 4th gen is what your after than you gotta get what makes you happy for sure. Just seems odd your car has so many issues. Hope it works out for the best for you.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #38
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Gen 5 Camaros don't have direct injection.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #39
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Nope.
Mines direct injection.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #40
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Gen 5 Camaros don't have direct injection.
the v6 cars do.
CamaroBarb as you can see this is the wrong place to complain about the 5th gen unless you want answers on how to fix a issue. if you want people to jump in and camaro bash you will need to goto a mustang forum.....
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #41
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
the v6 cars do.
CamaroBarb as you can see this is the wrong place to complain about the 5th gen unless you want answers on how to fix a issue. if you want people to jump in and camaro bash you will need to goto a mustang forum.....

I stand corrected. Didnt realize the v6 was DI
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #42
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
She brings up a question for me. Knowing the DI would seemingly wash down the cylinder walls more than port/carb, and after watching that vid on this thread, could using injector cleaners be good for the already gas-contaminated oil? Or...do some just use injector cleaners right before an oil change?