Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 03-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
LED Warning Light

Since this section include Electronics, hopefully some electronics experts can chime in. I have an auxiliary fuel pump that is activated by a fuel pump relay and a Hobbs Switch set to turn the pump on at 2 PSI. Hot on the pump is from the relay and ground on the pump is a direct chassis ground. I would like to wire in an LED light next to the A/F gauge that would turn ON when the fuel pump is ACTUALLY running.

Easy way to wire is to pigtail onto the relay wire going to the pump, but I don't think that will tell me if the pump is actually running, only if the relay is switched on.

If I wire the LED light at the pump terminals, to include the same chassis ground as the pump, would that tell me if the pump is actually running regardless of what the relay is doing?

Thanks
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Hey Parbreak: Non-expert chime in; yes that will work as long as the LED is for a 12v system and it doesn’t get too much voltage. Basically the relay will be your switch just like a toggle switch with a bulb/LED being turned on and off.

Now off topic, have you considered running a dedicated fuel gage to confirm pressure vs current?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
LED to pump terminals will only tell you that there is power to the pump. The pump may or may not be running.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
LED to pump terminals will only tell you that there is power to the pump. The pump may or may not be running.

Soooo, is there anyway to wire it so it does tell me if the pump is actually running? If not, then I guess I'll just do a fuel pressure gauge.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote