Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #295
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Welcome back moderator.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #296
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Here is the actual paper that article talks about

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/...reliable-data/
Of everything I've heard and read, this makes the absolute most sense.

If we were talking about something as vicious and fatal like Ebola, then yes, lock everything down, bring in the troops, marshal law, the works. But in reality, it may be possible that many have had this thing and recovered and not even realized it was this virus and not the flu.

Sure, protect the population that we know is harshly affected. If you're sick, regardless of what from, stay home, stay away from other people. It's just common sense.

But to shut down entire industries, much less entire cities? To commit economic suicide? I'm just not so sure about that.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:19 PM   #297
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Work at my job took a huge impact. We lost probably 70% of our work force due the manufacturers we supply are shut down (GM, Honda, Mercury Mariner). Only thing keeping us alive is Paccar out in Ohio. Our Zerv work (C8 Corvette door surrounds and rear fenders) were shut down this afternoon.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:37 AM   #298
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
It has been very interesting reading the responses of the members here. The change in tone from earlier posts going through the political posts in the middle and actual concern near to where I am posting now has given me a lot to think about.

Some of the comments are well informed and helpful and others are... unique.

Before I get to how COVID-19 has affected me, I need to share that I was living in China during SARS and felt a little bit worried, but this time around things are very different.

Its not that I worry about dying, I worry about getting sick. With so many people needing health care I feel it is important that I am doing what I can to help ease the burden of those who may need help desperately. That means I am not going outside, I am disinfecting my house, I have a clean zone in the entrance and I sanitize my hands and surfaces like car and house door handles when I go out or come back. I think it is better to over react and remain healthy than being bull headed and putting myself at risk.

During SARS I would ride the bus and go out with no mask or sanitizer, but this can't compare with that time at all. The world is more connected and should be better informed, but many are still putting themselves in front of a greater good like I was during SARS.

As for me, I haven't been to work since January because I teach in an international school in Beijing. Schools have been shut down since February and we have been teaching online for the past 6 weeks. Fortunately life in Beijing has continued, trash has been collected, stores have food, and even better the grocery stores all deliver and everything is paid for online so person to person contract has been limited.

As a musician, this is also very bad time because all the venues have closed and every show has been cancelled, but I am taking the time to write a lot of new material at least.

The only social interaction I have is a weekly DnD session and those are all online now.

It is very fortunate to a teacher at this time. Our paychecks are not dependent on the economy, so we are still getting our normal pay and benefits. My school is still going to go ahead with spring break and have a week off of online teaching.

Finally I have this message, I don't care about political beliefs or religion of others, we are all humans and sharing a world, sometimes concessions need to me made. I do feel bad for those who are struggling now, it is unfair to them, but if you are someone who doesn't need to take a risk at this time, do the word a favor and play it safe, stay healthy and take care.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:10 AM   #299
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
I forgot to add what prompted me to share my feelings was that there have been no local transmission of COVID 19 in China for 2 days now and the cases in the US have gone up by 40%. The state department urges all citizens living abroad to go back but I think that is safer to stay here now.

Another interesting fact is that Lego and Apple stores have closed world wide except for China's stores.

Stay safe, be careful and be smart everyone!
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:58 AM   #300
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
For now, COVID-19 will no effect my work unless I contract it. I deliver meds to
nursing homes, and that can's stop, or people die. My son, makes medical supplies,
so he's good.

I am waiting for all those schmucks to cash their "Not MY President" stimulus checks...
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #301
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I work in the aircraft industry. We are supposed to watch our email this weekend for possible closing. It appears that will only happen if the gov demands it. There are some that hope we close but, I would rather that we continue to work.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #302
WolfBlues

Drives: 2020 Riverside Blue Camaro LT1
I work in parts at a Chevy Buick dealership here in PA, and they have just laid off more than half of us. There are four of us in parts, including the parts manager and our driver. The driver and I were just laid off yesterday. They reduced our hours and are only running with 4 or 5 technicians, 1 service writer and 2 in parts. Sales department is closed. Our customers have been cancelling or not showing up, and our workload has dropped significantly. The way things are going, we might end up closing completely for a little while...

Doesn't help that GM, among other manufacturers, has ceased production operations, and our parts deliveries from GM will be reduced from what I heard yesterday too. Now the wait for the Camaro I ordered about a week ago will be even longer! [sigh]

It's definitely strange though. Feels like a bad dream, or a plot in a science fiction novel/film... Like perhaps this virus epidemic is a coverup for something else? I don't know, but I'm hoping we all wake up soon from this nightmare! Hopefully this virus dies out, and hopefully they can get back to work making my Camaro soon lol!

But seriously, here's to hoping we all can get back to work, get well, and get back to normal soon!
WolfBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #303
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
My colleagues in China went home for the Chinese New Year (early January) and didn’t return to work until recently. The plants were completely shut down but engineers worked from home. They are located ~250 miles from Wuhan but none of the engineers got sick.

Last week, our (US) engineers were asked to transition to working from home and then other office staff soon followed. Our assembly line is still going but with additional precautions. A sniffle will get you sent home.

The office and production workers in our German, Turkish and Brazilian locations completely closed starting Monday. We (Americans) were asked to watch our email this weekend.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #304
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBlues View Post
Like perhaps this virus epidemic is a coverup for something else?
I keep wondering how much longer it will be until everyone starts to think that.
Just when our country was reasserting itself, shrugging off a joke impeachment, economy exploding to the upside, and had china on the ropes, this happens.

What are the odds?
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #305
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i’m a truck driver. at this point, not worried about my job. thankfully, i don’t work for an employer bound by anything automotive related.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #306
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Good News: I'm a public school teacher. School is closed. We are doing some online stuff but almost none of the kids participate. I am still getting full pay and benefits. Thank God for strong unions.

Bad News: I am a coach, and right before we closed, we travelled to a big four day competition with thousands of people. When I got back I got sick as a dog. Two weeks later and I am still coughing up a lung. I never had a fever, and our country has a third-world public health system, so I can't get tested. But I have been self-isolating the whole time. I am diabetic so I am just focusing on controlling blood sugar and trying to heal.

Overall I still feel lucky. I am slowly getting better and my job is secure. If you are still getting paid remember to pay it forward as much as you can. I am going out of my way to spend money on local businesses, tipping a minimum of $20 on all delivery food, and if I can get a clean bill of health I want to help distribute supplies.

TL;DR: Job is secure but it probably gave me COVID-19.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #307
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
The vox article is mostly fiction.Apparently you didn't read the other articles and factual data by real experts. Doesn't support your hysteria narrative.

The data VOX made up doesn't match what is already happened in the USA. There isn't much testing done and most people that come down with it do NOT go to the hospital. Ah I give up, if you insist on believing the sky is falling so be it.

You won't think the extra panic and lockdowns are so amusing if you lose your job from the over reaction to a flu that has nothing near the USA mortality of prior flu's here.

Can't compare USA outcomes to e.g. Italy with their 3rd world government (non)healthcare that doesn't even treat old people and where most smoke which makes them 5 times more likely to die from the flu.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #308
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
The vox article is mostly fiction.Apparently you didn't read the other articles and factual data by real experts. Doesn't support your hysteria narrative.

The data VOX made up doesn't match what is already happened in the USA. There isn't much testing done and most people that come down with it do NOT go to the hospital. Ah I give up, if you insist on believing the sky is falling so be it.

You won't think the extra panic and lockdowns are so amusing if you lose your job from the over reaction to a flu that has nothing near the USA mortality of prior flu's here.

Can't compare USA outcomes to e.g. Italy with their 3rd world government (non)healthcare that doesn't even treat old people and where most smoke which makes them 5 times more likely to die from the flu.
I don't believe the sky is falling, but you can see what is happening.

In 1 week the amount of cases in the US has gone from 3000 to 30,000. The flu doesn't spread that fast.

Yes, 85% of people wont need to go to the hospital, but the other 15% will.
If nobody practices regular hand washing, social distancing, not touching hands to face while in public, not staying home when sick, not covering your face when you cough/sneeze, this virus will overwhelm the health system.

The county I live in has 100,000 people in it. If nobody does anything, at least 80% will get this virus. That's 80,000 people. 15% of that is 12,000 people that need a hospital bed, 50% of those will need a ventilator. That's 6000 ventilators.

There is absolutely no way all these people could be cared for, and the death toll would rise exponentially due to that.

Also anyone else requiring medical care in critical cases other than Covid-19 wouldn't be able to get the care they need.

I'm not freaking out, or over-reacting, I'm just doing my part to avoid catching/spreading the virus.

Same things that have been told for over a month now.

1) Stay home if your sick.
2) Wash your hands regularly.
3) Practice social distancing.
4) Don't touch your face when out in public.
5) Cover your face when you have to cough/sneeze.

If everyone did this, the spread of this virus would go down immensely. Hospitals wouldn't get overloaded, and thousands of lives would be saved.

But people just refuse to do it.

This video explains those people perfectly.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote