Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 02-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
canadian_roger

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
New SS 1LE - Lets get track ready!

I’ll try to keep this brief. Former Mustang owner converting to a factory ordered 1SS 1LE, arriving in 8 weeks. I do over a dozen track days every year and this is certainly a “weekend” ride for me.

This year my goal is safe and reliable HPDE items. A consideration is that I am 6’3, 200lbs and run long in the torso. I am thinking, order of operations:
1) ZL1 Rockgaurds, Tow Hook and Jacking solution
2) SS Lines, RBF 600 fluid and Raybestos ST-43 pads
3) Seats, Harness and Harness Bar

Point 3 comprised of:
- Planted Brackets
- Planted Side Mounts
- OMP First R seats
- OMP Sliders
- OMP Harnesses
- Brey Krause Harness Bar

Anyone have any recommendations/modifications?

I think height may be an issue, I could have to scratch Sliders, and but the seat in with a serious tilt.

Any other brackets or tall-mods I should know about?

Appreciated – RC.
canadian_roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
JKM

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Welcome to the club! I don't have any comments regarding your main question, just wanted to mention to add a track alignment to your list.
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Do the correct break-in, including changing the rear diff fluid at 1500 miles. Change to 5W-40 or 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil.

I would actually use the factory pads on your first couple times out.

Hopefully you got the PDR, then you'll need a SD Card formatted to FAT32. Look up the basics before you go to the track and get the Cosworth software to compare your lap data when you get home.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
Welcome to the club! I don't have any comments regarding your main question, just wanted to mention to add a track alignment to your list.
Ia this like completely needed? New 1le here as well just curious.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Even as a weekend ride I’d say get ppf for the front of the car
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
You'll fit.
6' 2.5" here.
I had stock interior with slides, Recaro race seat and Planted seat base.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Congrats! Add large double Expel to rear panels before the wheels. Covering the rest is optional imo.
Zl1addons.com carry good permanent lift pucks (a must) and mud flaps (they help a bit to keep rubber off the car, but not much). The car comes with a tow hook. I absolutely ditto the proper break in procedure. The ELSD really needs it. Read both the owner's manual and high performance supplement. Alignment is a must: max the front camber to about 2.5 or higher. I am at 2.6 and 1.6 on stock bolts. The tires wear very evenly.
I would also strongly suggest taking it to a few track days bone stock. Then deciding what to mod. Mine is bone stock after 3 full seasons with zero regrets (except for SRF brake fluid). The Recaros are excellent and i dont really miss a 5 point. Rockauto.com for great prices on both rotors and pads (about half a dealer price).
Other than that, the car is track ready out of the box and is absolutely superbly balanced. Btw it comes with both auto rev match and no lift up shifts capability. Both are sweet. Feel free to PM me anytime. Btw this community is superbly supportive, albeit we all have our POVs
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Stock seat height is marginal for me at 6'3. Maybe 1/4" clearance at full recline.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:16 AM   #9
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
Stock seat height is marginal for me at 6'3. Maybe 1/4" clearance at full recline.
Yeah race seat will give a couple inches over stock.
I too was tight with stock seat. I actually removed air duct piece on top of my helmet so it wouldnt rip my headliner.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
canadian_roger

Whoa thanks for the feedback. I am getting PPF on the front from the dealer, as well will do the track alignment once I get through the break-in.

Thanks @TrackClub, had not thought of any to protect that big booty. You mean similar to a Porshe GT3.

Thanks Badmojo, I got the PDR, however, had not read yet about formatting the SD card. I am not too techy however I am sure YouTube will pull through.

I will use up the stock bads initially. I know from my Mustang track days if I was doing more than 8-12 30min sessions over a weekend it was wise to bring backup pads.

What are consumables like? How many weekends on tires/pads?
Old 02-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_roger View Post
Whoa thanks for the feedback. I am getting PPF on the front from the dealer, as well will do the track alignment once I get through the break-in.

Thanks @TrackClub, had not thought of any to protect that big booty. You mean similar to a Porshe GT3.

Thanks Badmojo, I got the PDR, however, had not read yet about formatting the SD card. I am not too techy however I am sure YouTube will pull through.

I will use up the stock bads initially. I know from my Mustang track days if I was doing more than 8-12 30min sessions over a weekend it was wise to bring backup pads.

What are consumables like? How many weekends on tires/pads?
I didnt have to format my SD card. Just plugged her in and that was it. I get my cards at The Source.

I had Expel put on front, rocker panels and rear qtrs.
Firstly, the front was difficult due to all the angles and the installer didnt do a perfect job. And after a while it looked like shit. I would NOT Expel the front again next time. It is not really needed imo. Ditto rocker panels. By far the worst area that gets pummeled HARD is the rear qtr panels before the wheels. Next time i will just do the double Expel there.

Based on my experience not much difference pace wise between stock tires and Cup2 or RE71R. In my hands anyway. All my PBs were on G3s. They last a good 6-7 days and are good to go until they cord. Not much fall of if at all. Sort of like NT01s. At about $1600 all in per set they are a bargain.
Front pads last about as long as the tires (venue and driving style dependent). Rears longer, but not much. Front rotors easily 15+ days assuming stock pads (which run pretty cool). Rears much longer.
I like SRF for brake fluid as it only needs one mid season bleed - that's it. Last season it went 11 days between bleeding with absolutely zero issues. A full flush at start of the season of course. SRF is worth every penny.
I usually do all fluids (oil, tranny and diff) together with pads/tires. Makes it convenient. Cheers!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
On my ZL1 (non-1LE) the RE71R's gave a 2 second improvement at NCM Motorsports Park and at Carolina Motorsports Park. The GYSC3's are good and have much better street manners. I've gone through 3-4 sets of GYSC3's. I would second the opinion to running through a set before considering changing to something different. The tires will start to fall off at 2-3/32nds.

My rear pads last 3-4 track days longer than the front pads, but again ZL1 vs. SS 1LE.

SRF is back ordered or is being scalped on Amazon. Brembo HTC 64T was recommended on a brake fluid thread here, but I have no direct experience. I was researching a replacement to SRF (that I also recommend if you can find it). https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562867

Brembo HTC 64T on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/BRE-HTC64-Bre...omotive&sr=1-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I didnt have to format my SD card. Just plugged her in and that was it. I get my cards at The Source.

I had Expel put on front, rocker panels and rear qtrs.
Firstly, the front was difficult due to all the angles and the installer didnt do a perfect job. And after a while it looked like shit. I would NOT Expel the front again next time. It is not really needed imo. Ditto rocker panels. By far the worst area that gets pummeled HARD is the rear qtr panels before the wheels. Next time i will just do the double Expel there.

Based on my experience not much difference pace wise between stock tires and Cup2 or RE71R. In my hands anyway. All my PBs were on G3s. They last a good 6-7 days and are good to go until they cord. Not much fall of if at all. Sort of like NT01s. At about $1600 all in per set they are a bargain.
Front pads last about as long as the tires (venue and driving style dependent). Rears longer, but not much. Front rotors easily 15+ days assuming stock pads (which run pretty cool). Rears much longer.
I like SRF for brake fluid as it only needs one mid season bleed - that's it. Last season it went 11 days between bleeding with absolutely zero issues. A full flush at start of the season of course. SRF is worth every penny.
I usually do all fluids (oil, tranny and diff) together with pads/tires. Makes it convenient. Cheers!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
On my ZL1 (non-1LE) the RE71R's gave a 2 second improvement at NCM Motorsports Park and at Carolina Motorsports Park. The GYSC3's are good and have much better street manners. I've gone through 3-4 sets of GYSC3's. I would second the opinion to running through a set before considering changing to something different. The tires will start to fall off at 2-3/32nds.

My rear pads last 3-4 track days longer than the front pads, but again ZL1 vs. SS 1LE.

SRF is back ordered or is being scalped on Amazon. Brembo HTC 64T was recommended on a brake fluid thread here, but I have no direct experience. I was researching a replacement to SRF (that I also recommend if you can find it). https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562867

Brembo HTC 64T on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/BRE-HTC64-Bre...omotive&sr=1-1
Did ya run RE71R square in 295/30/20? I did like them myself (unlike Cup2s which chunked on me and were very pressure sensitive), but found them lacking rear grip in fast sweepers at Mosport. The car was just a wee bit looser (not a surprise) which i did not like in T2 and T4.
It still went fast, but prevented me from pushing with full confidence. All in all, not worth spending extra $500. Albeit venue dependent i am sure. Having said all that, i do have a new set for this season, so will run them again. But likely not at Mosport...
Old 02-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
canadian_roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Did ya run RE71R square in 295/30/20? I did like them myself (unlike Cup2s which chunked on me and were very pressure sensitive), but found them lacking rear grip in fast sweepers at Mosport. The car was just a wee bit looser (not a surprise) which i did not like in T2 and T4.
It still went fast, but prevented me from pushing with full confidence. All in all, not worth spending extra $500. Albeit venue dependent i am sure. Having said all that, i do have a new set for this season, so will run them again. But likely not at Mosport...

BMW Trillium Club @ Mostport? That is my home track also and I usually run every weekend with BMW, this year I will miss April due to work What kind of times do you see?

Tags
hpde, racing seats, ss 1le, track car