Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #1
EWard

Drives: 2019 Camaro RBM M6 LTG 1LS
4T in DS vs SS in FS

Currently have outclassed 2010 VW CC in GS with RE 71's and rsb. Everything is good until Patrice Bousquet shows up lol.

Anyway wanting a class competitive rwd autocross car. I have settled on the gen6 camaro. The base model with discounts is - SS for 34k or 4t lt for 22k

Experienced autocross'ers what are your thoughts on this from a value to performance in street class autocross?

Eric

Got 11th of 119 in pax not bad for a 3400lb sedan, granted its just local.

https://www.thscc.com/autocross/even...20cary_pax.htm

Last edited by EWard; 09-08-2018 at 10:15 PM.
EWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Hi Eric,

The reason I originally went with the SS was because I knew this car would be a good FS car and it was a golden birthday gift to myself. I didn't want the turbo at the time.

Since I am looking at maybe getting a 2019 I have been looking at the turbo 1LE(depending what class it goes in) and another 1ss.

All comes down to price since both are decently competitive as Mark has shown. I wouldn't look to close into this years DS results since rain was a big factor for DS.

FS is going to be much much harder on a set of tires, mainly the fronts since its camber limited and has that big engine over the front wheels. Personally I budget for two sets a year mainly cause I want to have a nice fresh set going into nationals. No sure how many local events you get a year there but something to look into. A set of tires is close to 1100 bucks.

As much as I look at a DS Camaro right now I have good competition locally in my class and its a goal to win a national championship. I say this now but once the snow his here all bets are off on what I do... its a long time without any autocross lol.

That said if you look used you can get a even better price on a 16-17? not sure if thats an option for you.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
EWard

The problem I have is I want the v8 for daily driving enjoyment (the old motorhead in me). The 4t's won the second day in the dry and seeing what Mark has done at other nationals has me trying to justify saving 12k plus less consumables leaving $ in the race budget. But daily driving the 4t with its lack of acceleration, sound and plain jaine looks is a hard pill to swallow from a car enthusiast point of view.

Currently I have been participating in 2 local autocross chapters with 2hr drives running short courses with 8 events so far and 4 to go. With the proper platform want to go the the pro type longer courses that are 3hr drives at zmax and cherry point nc plus they are scca sanctioned.

On another note does anyone carry there tires to the track in a gen6? May be more doable with the smaller 4t tire sizes.

Mike with the heavy gm discounts its hard not to buy a new car and with the unfavorable reception to the 2019 so far, I'm hoping chevy will start the discounts early to get some cars on the road.

It's going to a tough decision heart and sole vs head and practicality.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
apexit53

I love mine as a dd and racer. honestly the best car I've owned.

the T4... would be tough to drive as a dd having owned the v8
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
MosaicX1LE

Drives: 2017 MBM Camaro V6 1LE
Not to hijack thread, but what are the thoughts on the V6 1LE? I'm thinking since it is in FS, the only benefit over the SS is the lower weight? All in all it is supposed to be tuned well to run on the track, but it mainly just got a bunch of SS parts I think. I enjoy dd'ing it, but made a point to not even test drive a V8.
MosaicX1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosaicX1LE View Post
Not to hijack thread, but what are the thoughts on the V6 1LE? I'm thinking since it is in FS, the only benefit over the SS is the lower weight? All in all it is supposed to be tuned well to run on the track, but it mainly just got a bunch of SS parts I think. I enjoy dd'ing it, but made a point to not even test drive a V8.
I was part of the test that put that in FS. The v6 1Le is decent it just lacked the grunt of the v8. The right driver I think it would be fast.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
trophy hunter

Drives: 2016 1SS - M6
I'll throw my 2 cents in here:
I've been out for quite some time but grew up autocrossing V8 Corvettes and Camaros and I too was in the same situation.
Here was my breakdown :
Cost - 4T
Insurance - 4T
Gas milage - 4T
Competitiveness in class - Slight edge to the 4T (National level)
maintenance costs - 4T
HALF the oil for each change ! !..... also, as Mike mentioned tire wear and cost
Fun factor - SS

While the 4T appeared to be the obvious answer on paper, a close friend of mine purchased one and we took it out on some "fun runs". And while it is definitely a great car, I don't really care for turbo engines, even though the lag isn't near as bad as other models.
That said, I purchased a 1SS and have absolutely no regrets...….I actually find it therapeutic for me on the days that I drive it to work

I would suggest you go drive both and go from there ….. but the "dark side" is fun
Good luck !
trophy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
EWard

Thanks for the input, those are my thoughts exactly. Glad to know another ss owner went over the same process. I have driven both and a 1le ss. The 1le ss is the car that really stirs my soul but the car can't compete nationally in AS.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
trophy hunter

Drives: 2016 1SS - M6
If you really have your heart set on a 1LE, don't let this year's results fool you, it is a competitive car nationally in cam-c
Ryan (on this forum) in the 1SS and another gentleman by the name of Brandon in a 2017 Mustang GT 350R would have been the class of the field, if it weren't for the rain on day one.

The only thing is, now you're getting into an even higher cost for the car and possibly insurance ……. I never test drove one myself because I knew that logic would go completely out the window for me; and more importantly, I'm not looking for a divorce
trophy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
apexit53

I don't think the insurance is any different on the ss 1LE oddly enough. in their eyes its still a 1SS :p
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
EWard

A week ago on Tuesday a 18 1le ss hyper blue with 8k for $32,999 certified with extended warranty popped up at sir walter chevy in Raleigh called my called my salesman that was off work and scheduled an appointment for Wednesday. Was ready to buy the car, f*ck autocross classification for that price and warranty. Total let down salesman called me Wednesday to say the car was sold Tuesday evening at closing. Buyer wouldn't leave without the car. Was in a funk the rest of the day, so disappointed. In retrospect should have left work when I saw the car, my salesman agreed. Just wasn't meant to be this time, live and learn.

Eric
Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
EWard

I hear you trophy hunter about the 1le in cam-c, but I'm at the top of my budget with running cost in AS. How much does it cost to get a competitive 1le in cam-c? Have not not researched that.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #13
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWard View Post
I hear you trophy hunter about the 1le in cam-c, but I'm at the top of my budget with running cost in AS. How much does it cost to get a competitive 1le in cam-c? Have not not researched that.

Thanks for the insight.
From Chris V on this form:

" A great CAMC car would be a 1LE on 305s with camber, DSC, and Diff Cal, in my opinion. "

DCS Controller $1,300, E Diff Cal $350, Camber Plates $525
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:57 AM   #14
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWard View Post

Thanks for the insight.

The last two years the Camaros that won CAM-C have had at least $10k in mods. That assigns no value to all the work the team did in Paddock/Grid in tuning the PTM.

Just the DSSV kit that the SS 1LE and the T4 1LE ran is $6.5k (parts only).
(dampers, ZL1 1LE suspension swap, kit to eliminate codes from deleted MRC). Don't forget the E85, tune, FlexFuel kit, intake and exhaust.

AS is MUCH cheaper than building a Nationally competitive CAM-C 6th Gen.

ChrisV posted this over on the thread about the T4 1LE winning Nats.
"The setup is ZL1 1LE wheels, 305 stones, dssv’s, a tune, ethanol, intake and exhaust." <-$10k

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote