Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #211
Xile

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Also note, it is possible to lock Steering, Suspension and Throttle into specific modes, using Infotainmemt settings menu. If you do it, they will stay in those settings permanently and won't be over ridden. For example, many prefer Touring mode for steering effort. This means the steering mode will stay in Touring, even if you select PTM, or other track modes.
Hello, thanks for the informative post. Just got my 1LE back in August and have been loving it. I had one questions on this, You say that you can lock the throttle into a specific mode in infotainment. However it's labeled as "engine sound" for me at least. I've always left that in track since its loudest, but are you saying that it also makes me use the track throttle map regardless of driving mode?
Xile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #212
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xile View Post
Hello, thanks for the informative post. Just got my 1LE back in August and have been loving it. I had one questions on this, You say that you can lock the throttle into a specific mode in infotainment. However it's labeled as "engine sound" for me at least. I've always left that in track since its loudest, but are you saying that it also makes me use the track throttle map regardless of driving mode?
Congrats on your 1LE! Sorry, that's my error. Should have said exhaust sound. Throttle map gets selected according to the drive mode selected: touring, sport and track. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #213
Xile

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Congrats on your 1LE! Sorry, that's my error. Should have said exhaust sound. Throttle map gets selected according to the drive mode selected: touring, sport and track. Cheers!
Thanks! Love this thing. No worries that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.
Xile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #214
TrackClub

Thanks for pointing it out. Will update my OP accordingly. Cheers!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #215
Matpav

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
very helpful!
Matpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #216
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matpav View Post
very helpful!
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2020, 12:42 AM   #217
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Tried PTM track race mode for the first time today after only having previously used sport one mode, I did not experience nearly as much of a difference as I thought I would, I was surprised at how much traction control and throttle management there still was.

I’m curious, although I haven’t read this entire thread, only the first seven pages, does anyone find they are faster with all nannies completely off in track mode compared to track PTM race mode?

If I recall correctly, I believe that least in a few magazine articles I read, the drivers said they were fastest with all nannies completely off
Old 06-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #218
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
does anyone find they are faster with all nannies completely off in track mode compared to track PTM race mode?
I'm a newer owner and now have three autocrosses under my belt in the past three Sundays. The first runs of the first event were during a monsoon, and it was clear that various PTM modes were helpful with various amounts of water on the course. The second two were in the dry, and so far I have found that PTM Race is a bit too intrusive and that I'm faster in Track mode with all nannies off. Keep in mind that autocross course are lower-speed events with much tighter turns than a typical track. On a typical road course it may be just as fast to use PTM Race, while adding a layer of assistance to keep from roasting tires or spinning the car.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #219
Msquared

I have a question, and I couldn't find an explicit answer earlier in this thread. With ALL NANNIES OFF either in Sport or Track mode, is the launch control also disabled? It seems like if you have the car in gear with the clutch disengaged and you floor the gas pedal, it still holds the RPMs as it would with the nannies on, but it doesn't manage wheel slip during the launch - the wheels just spin. So you get the first half of launch control (hold RPMs) but not the important half (manage wheel spin during launch). Are others getting that same result?

I want to do my autocross runs with ALL NANNIES OFF settings, but having just launch control would still be nice.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #220
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I have a question, and I couldn't find an explicit answer earlier in this thread. With ALL NANNIES OFF either in Sport or Track mode, is the launch control also disabled? It seems like if you have the car in gear with the clutch disengaged and you floor the gas pedal, it still holds the RPMs as it would with the nannies on, but it doesn't manage wheel slip during the launch - the wheels just spin. So you get the first half of launch control (hold RPMs) but not the important half (manage wheel spin during launch). Are others getting that same result?

I want to do my autocross runs with ALL NANNIES OFF settings, but having just launch control would still be nice.
Id check the manual. If it says put it in PTM Race first then TC is needed for launch control to manage overslip. My guess is: it is.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #221
TrackClub

Quote:
I'm a newer owner and now have three autocrosses under my belt in the past three Sundays. The first runs of the first event were during a monsoon, and it was clear that various PTM modes were helpful with various amounts of water on the course. The second two were in the dry, and so far I have found that PTM Race is a bit too intrusive and that I'm faster in Track mode with all nannies off. Keep in mind that autocross course are lower-speed events with much tighter turns than a typical track. On a typical road course it may be just as fast to use PTM Race, while adding a layer of assistance to keep from roasting tires or spinning the car.
Well said!

To GMG's original question: i am sure at least some folks may be faster with all off, while at least some other folks may be faster in PTM Race. So i dont believe there is a fast and hard rule here that one is faster vs the other.
This also means, that if somebody says they are faster it will not necessarily translate into you, or me, being faster as well. And the reverse is true as well.

Both modes require a *different* driving styles to be effective and fast. There is no question in my mind, that getting the most out of the car in PTM Race is EASIER.
That's because PTM manages most (BUT NOT ALL) of any overslip on exits. And imo it does a truly excellent job of it.

Of course, if a driver way overcooks things TC will go as far as to cut power to prevent massive oversteer and soiled undies. While with all off it is 100% up to the driver to recover. Note that much also depends on how a driver enters the corner, as often consequences of that phase carry all the way to the exit and often the corner entry is actually responsible for spins during exits.

Bottom line, the more excessive overslip the less traction, the less forward acceleration. The driver must manage this regardless (full 100% with TC off and to a much lesser degree with it on).

Autox is an exception for sure, due to very quick transitions at lower speeds.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #222
Msquared

Quote:
Id check the manual. If it says put it in PTM Race first then TC is needed for launch control to manage overslip. My guess is: it is.
The High Performance Supplement Manual says that the car has to either be in Competitive Driving Mode or PTM for Launch Control to work. But for me, Lunch Control has worked fine in just plain Track Mode (without adding on Competitive Mode, PTM, or All Nannies Off Mode). So I haven't found perfect correlation between the manual and reality. I should add that my car is a 2020 SS 1LE. Not sure if that changes anything. Maybe I'm going to have to find a parking lot and just try it in each mode and record my own findings!
Old 06-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #223
Msquared

Quote:
Well said!...Autox is an exception for sure, due to very quick transitions at lower speeds.
Thanks. And I realize I should have added that on a dry autocross course, PTM Race is very close to All Nannies Off in my (still early) experience. It's not like the difference between winning and being an also-ran. We're probably talking about 2-3 tenths of a second difference at most. And as you noted, that's for one person's driving style (mine, such as it is!), and YMMV.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #224
TrackClub

Quote:
The High Performance Supplement Manual says that the car has to either be in Competitive Driving Mode or PTM for Launch Control to work. But for me, Lunch Control has worked fine in just plain Track Mode (without adding on Competitive Mode, PTM, or All Nannies Off Mode). So I haven't found perfect correlation between the manual and reality. I should add that my car is a 2020 SS 1LE. Not sure if that changes anything. Maybe I'm going to have to find a parking lot and just try it in each mode and record my own findings!
Interesting, as Comp mode offers full Stabilitrak but no TC. And PTM Race is the reverse. So no idea what's going on here. Ive never tried the launch mode either so cant offer any first hand experience. Cheers!