Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
camaromode

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS A8
2018 Camaro SS LT1 Ticking Noise (Videos)

Hi Guys,
I know there is quite a few threads about ticking noises, but this does not sound like normal DI noises to me.
Long story short i have a 2018 camaro ss manual 6 speed. Car has 7500 miles. I had the head replaced at 7100 miles because of misfiring and rough idle after hitting a money shift. Luckily dealer covered it under warranty with no cost to me. In terms of performance modifications car is bone stock. Got the car back and it runs and drives great, but there is a ticking noise coming from the engine that i am 95% sure was not there prior to the head replacement. It is noticable at all rpms but is the worst at 3000rpm and 5000rpm.The sound does not go away after warming up. The 2 videos below you can hear the noise, its much louder in person. The sound can be heard well in the second video around 3000 and 5000rpm.(when i play the second video on my laptop speakers i cant hear the ticking, but when playing the video on my phone it is very noticeable, so give it a listen on your phone if you can) I took it back to the dealer last week and they said the noise is coming from the high pressure fuel system. Service manager said the techs took a stethoscope to it and that is where the noise is coming from. They replaced a part from the fuel system(cant remember what exactly but ill try to find the papers that say) but the noise is still there. The service manager said it seems a little quieter after they replaced a part from the fuel system but told me to let him know what i think.

Any input on what this could be is greatly appreciated.

Videos:

Last edited by camaromode; 03-26-2020 at 09:04 PM.
camaromode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromode View Post
Hi Guys,
I know there is quite a few threads about ticking noises, but this does not sound like normal DI noises to me.
Long story short i have a 2018 camaro ss manual 6 speed. Car has 7500 miles. I had the head replaced at 7100 miles because of misfiring and rough idle after hitting a money shift. Luckily dealer covered it under warranty with no cost to me. In terms of performance modifications car is bone stock. Got the car back and it runs and drives great, but there is a ticking noise coming from the engine that i am 95% sure was not there prior to the head replacement. It is noticable at all rpms but is the worst at 3000rpm and 5000rpm.The sound does not go away after warming up. The 2 videos below you can hear the noise, its much louder in person. The sound can be heard well in the second video around 3000 and 5000rpm.(when i play the second video on my laptop speakers i cant hear the ticking, but when playing the video on my phone it is very noticeable, so give it a listen on your phone if you can) I took it back to the dealer last week and they said the noise is coming from the high pressure fuel system. Service manager said the techs took a stethoscope to it and that is where the noise is coming from. They replaced a part from the fuel system(cant remember what exactly but ill try to find the papers that say) but the noise is still there. The service manager said it seems a little quieter after they replaced a part from the fuel system but told me to let him know what i think.

Any input on what this could be is greatly appreciated.

Videos:

Listened on IPad and sound exactly like my 2016 SS (sold now). I don’t hear anything unusual, sorry.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
You are referring to the check valve in the fuel system.

Here's my thread about my ticking noise, camshaft bearing failure and replaced engine. Read through it.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560229
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
camaromode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post

Here's my thread about my ticking noise, camshaft bearing failure and replaced engine. Read through it.

Any sound clips of the cam bearing issue? hoping i dont have the same problem.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
camaromode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post

And did you have a cel or any codes being thrown?
Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Is the ticking on the head that was replaced? If so I would be doubly suspect as to my ear that sounds more like a valve train noise than DI tick.

Good luck - things like this can really be a pain to deal with.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
And did you have a cel or any codes being thrown?
Cant find the video and there was no CEL or codes.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
camaromode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Is the ticking on the head that was replaced? If so I would be doubly suspect as to my ear that sounds more like a valve train noise than DI tick.

Good luck - things like this can really be a pain to deal with.
The receipt i received from the dealer said the right head was replaced, which i believe is the passenger side head. But the ticking sounds like its coming from the driver side head.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
I watched and listened to your videos. To me it sounds like an exhaust leak from your driver's side exhaust manifold. That can sometimes come across as a ticking noise. I had a similar noise such as yours on a pickup truck I had. It was the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by Jb54; 03-27-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: None
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
1Leah

Drives: camaro SS
Same noise! 2020 SS 1le

I am hearing the same noise, I took it to the dealership and was told it is "Normal Drive train sound". I am going to take it to another dealership and see if it is the check valve in the fuel line. This is not for my first DI car, I've never heard injectors rapidly ticking as you accelerate in the cabin, and need to turn up the radio to drown it out.
1Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
1Leah

Drives: camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
I watched and listened to your videos. To me it sounds like an exhaust leak from your driver's side exhaust manifold. That can sometimes come across as a ticking noise. I had a similar noise such as yours on a pickup truck I had. It was the exhaust manifold.

I will have them check that as well, because I do smell rich gas during cold start sometimes. The ticking is always constant.
1Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #12
camaromode

Just got it back from the dealer for the 3rd time. The high pressure fuel pump was replaced this time and the ticking noise is still present. It is not normal DI tick. The dealer told me they have done everything they can do service wise. They reached out to gm and gm told them its "probably normal" but the dealer does not believe it is normal. No codes, knock sensors, or anything is being thrown. Still runs and drives great. Service manager told me he would love to tear it down and figure it out but gm will not cover it. So far pretty much the whole high side fuel system has been replaced. I am going to reach out to chevy customer assistance to see what they have to say.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:50 AM   #13
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Just got it back from the dealer for the 3rd time. The high pressure fuel pump was replaced this time and the ticking noise is still present. It is not normal DI tick. The dealer told me they have done everything they can do service wise. They reached out to gm and gm told them its "probably normal" but the dealer does not believe it is normal. No codes, knock sensors, or anything is being thrown. Still runs and drives great. Service manager told me he would love to tear it down and figure it out but gm will not cover it. So far pretty much the whole high side fuel system has been replaced. I am going to reach out to chevy customer assistance to see what they have to say.
Did you ever get this resolved?
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote